Official Football Thread

So, Chelsea gives Benfica Nemanja Matic and 25 mil to sign David Luiz from them, then buys Nemanja Matic back for 25 mil, then sells David Luiz to PSG, and buys him back.

They don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Chelsea hired Mourinho, sacked Mourinho, bought Matic, sold Matic, bought David Luiz, hired Mourinho, bought Matic, sold David Luiz, sacked Mourinho, bought David Luiz.

Also Jack Wheelchair is off to Bournemouth (loan).

Nigel de Jong to Gala. Maher to FK Osmanlispor.

Mathias Pogba to Sparta Rotterdam. 1.94 m long, brother of the famous player.
CrMz7FbW8AAIK8J.jpg

Last edited:
And Jeremain Lens to Fenerbahçe.

Quite a bit of a Dutch flavor in Süper Lig recently. Fenerbahçe and Galatasaray both have Dutch managers. (Dick Advocaat and Jan Olde Riekerink, respectively) Robin van Persie and Wesley Sneijder were already in the league, now Nigel de Jong, Gregory van der Wiel, Jeremain Lens and Adam Maher as well. Dirk Kuyt was at Fenerbahçe for a pretty long time prior, too.

Loan: Club X loans a player to Club Y for 1 or (rarely) multiple seasons.
  • dry loan - player is loaned to Club Y for the season and will return to Club X after the season.
  • with an option to buy - clubs agree on a fee and if the loan works out, Club Y pays the fee to Club X and the player is fully theirs; then if Club X wants the player back they have to pay Club Y.
  • with a mandatory buyout clause - Club X loans a player for the season to Club Y. Club Y has to buy the player after the season no matter how the player performs. So it's more like a delayed transfer.
Transfer:
  • free - player's contract expires and he is free to choose his next club without clubs dealing with each other (player has to be older than 23)
  • paid - Club X gets an offer from Club Y; Club X can refuse all offers if they want to if the player doesn't have a buyout clause in his contract; if he has a buyout clause, Club Y can just offer the money asked in the buyout clause and Club X can't refuse the offer.
One important thing about all this though: from what I understand, in NBA and other leagues/sports in America, players can be traded to other teams without the club consulting them.

In football, that can't happen. If the player doesn't want to leave, the club can't legally do anything to force him to. They can freeze him out of the team; stop him from training at club's facilities etc. But if he has a contract, he can just refuse all offers and still keep getting paid.

Yes, that does make a lot of sense. In North America the contracts can be transferred about unless the player has a no-movement clause.

In football, that can't happen. If the player doesn't want to leave, the club can't legally do anything to force him to. They can freeze him out of the team; stop him from training at club's facilities etc. But if he has a contract, he can just refuse all offers and still keep getting paid.
In its extremest form: Winston Bogarde

From wiki:

Bogarde signed for Chelsea in 2000–01, after following the advice of compatriot Mario Melchiot to join him at the Premier League side. He was signed when Gianluca Vialli was manager, although the latter had no idea the transfer was happening, it arguably being conducted by director of football Colin Hutchinson – Emerson Thome, also a centre-back, was shipped off to Sunderland. Only weeks after signing his contract, newly appointed manager Claudio Ranieri wanted the player to leave.

According to Bogarde, it would be next to impossible to find a team that would offer him a contract comparable to the one he had at Chelsea: he was astounded at the salary the club had agreed on, as his value depreciated severely due to lack of first-team action, and decided to stay and honour his contract to the letter and appear for training every day, despite being only rarely selected to play. Of his contract he said, "Why should I throw fifteen million Euro away when it is already mine? At the moment I signed it was in fact my money, my contract." In the end, he only appeared eleven times during his four-year contract, reportedly earning £40,000 a week during this period.

After playing as a substitute against Ipswich Town on Boxing Day in 2000, Bogarde only made one more appearance for Chelsea's main squad before his contract expired in July 2004; it was also made from the bench, against Gillingham for that season's League Cup on 6 November 2002.

During his period at Chelsea, the club attempted to sell Bogarde due to his large salary, and demoted him to the reserve and youth teams in an effort to force him to leave. In response to press criticism, he responded: 'This world is about money, so when you are offered those millions you take them. Few people will ever earn so many. I am one of the few fortunates who do. I may be one of the worst buys in the history of the Premiership but I don't care.'

On 8 November 2005 Bogarde announced his retirement from professional football, having failed to reach an agreement with a club since leaving Chelsea.

Last edited:
Out of the blue, I got the chance to buy a ticket to Norway vs Germany tomorrow. An ex colleague knew someone who couldn't go and agreed to sell me this guy's ticket.

Whether it will actually be any fun or not, remains to be seen. Norway put on an abysmal performance against Belarus on Thursday (0-1 defeat) and Germany are better than Belarus even if they go on a binge tonight.

My hopes for this qualification campaign aren't high. Three of the teams in our group qualified for Euro 2016 (Germany, Czechia, and Northern Ireland). The Czechs kept us out of Euro 1996 by finishing ahead of us in the qualification group, and out of the 2006 World Cup by beating us 2-0 on aggregate in the playoff. Northern Ireland are a team I'd normally expect us to beat, but they've been good for some time now.

Of course we should beat Azerbaijan and San Marino, but so should the others.

Have fun mate !

My hopes are not high for the Netherlands. However good the attackers are, our defense sucks. There's always a moment when they lose concentration and fuck up.

You open against a Swedish team without Zlatan though (which makes them about as exciting as the Norwegian team ...). You should be able to finish 2nd in the group (behind France).

0-3. Different leagues. Just hope ze Germans do the same against the other teams in our group ...

We provided a better game in 1940, we were at least up 1-0.

220px-BildeB3.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry mate! I'll add you! I forgot about it, probably because we didn't meet out there. But this is pretty special.

And the match, well, there's so much unrest now, that this first match is already seen as a do or die match voor Oranje.
Lots of pressure.

Sorry mate! I'll add you! I forgot about it, probably because we didn't meet out there. But this is pretty special.

No worries.

And the match, well, there's so much unrest now, that this first match is already seen as a do or die match voor Oranje.
Lots of pressure.

I hope you guys lose. :p

Back