NOW WATCHING

Watched To Catch A Killer (2023).

A crime thriller starring Shailene Woodley and Ben Mendelsohn. A great beginning makes way for one of the most forgettable crime-procedurals I've seen. Real shame - first 10 minutes are great. Problems are all in the script, which is even more frustrating.

Finally watched Cocaine Bear and it was everything I wanted lol. It was nice to have a good, fun action comedy. I wouldn't call it "horror comedy," even though the characters are afraid and running/hiding from a killer bear a la Jason, Michael Myers, etc, because it's much faster paced with emphasis on the humor and well... action. The overall vibe of the movie, but especially the type of violence and effects reminded me of Black Sheep. Jolly good fun.

Also watched A Knock at the Cabin with Dave Bautista, Ron from Harry Potter and the dude from Mindhunter. I enjoyed it. Reminded me of The Killing of a Sacred Deer with Collin Farrell. Both movies ask the family to choose someone to sacrifice, except that in Sacred Deer it's to remove a curse that afflicts the family and in Cabin it's the Apocalypse. They follow the same formula in which they are skeptical at first and by the end, whether they believe it or not they follow through out of desperation. Biggest difference is that A Knock at the Cabin doesn't have unintentional humor. It was pretty good.

Just watched ‘Wish’ with my daughters. I sympathised with the villain throughout. He maintained a stable and prosperous kingdom in the Middle Ages which is no mean feat. He was only driven mad by those middling kids.

Two terrorists from Tabulistan travel to France to blow up Eifel Tower. In some parts of this film I laughed almost hysterically... Good one.
1713125143487.png

Last edited:
I'll post about the stuff I watched recently later, but I rewatched Top Gun Maverick with my mom, cuz she hadn't seen it yet. I bring it up because I noticed a little detail which I am now wondering whether it was on purpose. When Cruise goes back to the bar and reconnects with Jennifer Connolly the jukebox plays in the background. The song is ¨Let's Dance,¨ By David Bowie. I couldn't help but laugh. In case you don´t know, Jennifer Connolly was in Labyrinth, in which David Bowie played the Goblin King. Too big of a coincidence to be an accident. I think it is one of the many easter eggs/member berries sprinkled throughout the movie.

I was just talking about this movie to my students. It's such a horribly bad movie with amazingly iconic 80s music. I prefer Footloose overall, but great soundtracks from both. We were discussing stunt doubles and how they don't necessarily do dangerous stunts for the actor. Sometimes it's just things the actor doesn't do too well or at all. Like in Flashdance, during the audition, not only is it a stunt double doing most of the dancing... It's a man with a wig.

I was just talking about this movie to my students. It's such a horribly bad movie with amazingly iconic 80s music. I prefer Footloose overall, but great soundtracks from both. We were discussing stunt doubles and how they don't necessarily do dangerous stunts for the actor. Sometimes it's just things the actor doesn't do too well or at all. Like in Flashdance, during the audition, not only is it a stunt double doing most of the dancing... It's a man with a wig.
I didn't know.:oops: Thanks to you, I know now and that's great because I won't see the movie in the same way.;)

My favorite music movies are still Grease, Dirty Dancing and The Blues Brothers. :cool: But I also like Fame, Saturday Night Fever and Staying Alive. :wub:

I didn't know.:oops: Thanks to you, I know now and that's great because I won't see the movie in the same way.;)

My favorite music movies are still Grease, Dirty Dancing and The Blues Brothers. :cool: But I also like Fame, Saturday Night Fever and Staying Alive. :wub:
The blues brothers is an all time favorite of mine. "We're on a mission from Gawd" lol. I love the music from all of the ones you mentioned. The stories themselves.... some aged a little better than others.

This is a dark film.

MV5BMTc2ODE3NTI3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQ1NDMzMQ@@._V1_.jpg

s-l600.jpg

Watching through this again for the first time in about 10 years. Still great from the very beginning.

I have two complaints regarding the show

1) the message that he's in fact a miserable person and he's certainly not "right" was a tad too subtle - at least for a lot of people who "Housed themselves up" after becoming fans of the show (I've seen that happen) - a true case of the Truffaut effect in practice. You could say that it's the same with the Godfather - however the danger of becoming an asocial nihilist is much greater and real than the danger of becoming a mob boss

2) the last two seasons had a significant drop of quality and shark-jumping.

Still, I think I remember most of the episodes of the first five seasons - the patients and the diagnoses, the quips and the character drama, everything.

the message that he's in fact a miserable person and he's certainly not "right" was a tad too subtle - at least for a lot of people
I think that second point is intentionally left ambiguous, with arguments to be made for and against it on a case by case basis. A lot of it pits pure pragmatic logic against emotional and cultural norms and makes you question where your own line would be, which makes it interesting. House could be 100% right on a matter from that coldly rational perspective, but still appear to be a monster to most people as a result.

the last two seasons had a significant drop of quality and shark-jumping.
I only saw those final couple of seasons when they were new, so it will be interesting to re-view them. I see why they did what they did with some of the big character choices there, but I can see why people would have objected to them as well. Though the House/Cuddy stuff was seeded as early as season 1, to be fair, and turning Forman into House’s boss by the end provided some interesting character bits too. And the ongoing changing of the guard with his support staff kept things fresh. And the finale felt right to me at the time, too.

Also a bummer that the Blu-Ray set I got was apparently the U.K. version, so it doesn’t have the original opening credits music by Massive Attack and has some more boring theme instead (I think it’s the music from the U.S. ending credits).

Last edited:
Back