NOW WATCHING

I have not watched Rocky, except a few minutes of the fighting scene, but not the end so I don't actually know if Rocky won.  I assume he did.  I've watched the new Indy and Rambo though.  Indy was a great action movie with plenty of entertainment and adventure.  Rambo was full of blood and guts.  I think it was Onhell who quoted a review that stated "the movie tries to see how much blood, guts and gore can be filled into 90 minutes."  That's Rambo in essence.  Both films are great for different reasons.

You have to see Rocky now. Fuck the fight, it's the none-fighting that makes the movie. Of course the fight is entertaining, but it's not what holds it together.

Perun said:
Maybe I should add that, as a die-hard Indiana Jones fan for 16 years, I absolutely adored the new film. To my surprise, they did everything right.

I'm very curious. I'll see it tomorrow!

Rented Cloverfield and Mr. Brooks

Cloverfield did not impress me. In fact I fell asleep right before they showed "the monster". Not to mention the whole "oh look it's a home movie so it's real" gimmick was used close to a decade ago by the Blair Witch (that one did impress me.. at the time). Woke up in time to see the rest and it was... ok. In the commentary the... director I think said that he went to Japan with his son and Godzilla was everywhere. He said America should have an iconic monster like that (We do... King Kong) and so Cloverfield came to be, but the monster is nowhere near iconic, it doesn't even have a name.

Mr. Brooks however was VERY interesting. Starring Kevin Costner, Demi Moore, Wiliam Hurt and Dane Cook. Mr. Brooks (Costner) is an addict, his addicted to killing, but Mr. Brooks himself is a good man, it is his inner voice, Marshal (William Hurt) that goads him into killing. The emodiment of Mr. Brook's "evil side" in Marshall I thought brilliant, the way the two interact is great, not to mention Moore, playing the detective, hunting him down and her side story. Great movie. I found the thing with the daughter a bit of a stretch, but the movie flowed well and had good twists and turns.

A lot! Technically it was very well done. I also liked the story.

Those ants were creepy! ;)

I guess this was the first time that there were alien kind of species in an 'Indy'-film?

Forostar said:
I guess this was the first time that there were alien kind of species in an 'Indy'-film?

Yeah, in a way, this was the least supernatural plot in any of the Indy films ;)

I found the new Indy film to be a very mixed bag. Parts of it were good, but many scenes fell flat.

The main problem for me was the lack of tension and intrigue surrounding the quest. Maybe it's my fault for not trying hard enough, but I just didn't care one way or the other. Cate Blanchett wasn't menacing at all, and the whole plot felt too much like a computer game of disjointed fight scenes and green screens: grab crystal skull to proceed to the next level.

Still, it was pretty entertaining as a whole, so even though it's decidedly the fourth best Indy film it's not a complete waste of time.

Fourth out of four ain't bad :p

I bought a double package of Footloose and Flashdance and decided to kill one afternoon with them. I must say Footloose still holds up rather well. It is a deeper movie than I originally remembered (sin, censorship, family drama, fear of outsiders, etc.) but it is still classic 80's cheese. I mean, what does Kevin Bacon do to release his anger and frustrations about his situation? Goes to an empty warehouse and DANCES! LOL. But still highly entertaining. Unlike Flashdance. This movie did not age well at all. aside from the dance sequences it is actually a very boring movie. Not to mention the "strip club" where she dances has the biggest disconnect ever. The bar is supposed to be this seedy, rundown local pub, but the girls wear the most elaborate make-up and dresses and they each have their own set like if it was fucking Vegas.... Yeah, right. Oh and the audience claps at them for their dancing, give me a break, they're strippers.

Even weirder is the fact that the guy she falls for is her boss from the welding job (remember that" Welder during the day, stripper at night... yeah, right!) and she is supposed to be 18! How old do you have to be to OWN your own welding firm? Early 30s at the very least? So what is a 30 year old MAN doing hitting on an 18 year old GIRL? *shudder* Oh, P.S, the dance double in the end sequence is a dude... :D

Perun said:
Yeah, in a way, this was the least supernatural plot in any of the Indy films ;)

Per, did you know about all these names and ancient cities? I wonder if they did some real historical research, serving for this plot

Forostar said:
Per, did you know about all these names and ancient cities? I wonder if they did some real historical research, serving for this plot

The only fuck up I could see was placing the Siafu ants in South America when they are only found in Africa, and they do not hunt you down like in the movie (obviously). They are blind and eat whatever they bump into. Aside from that, the Nasca lines, the conquistador and the rest was more or less accurate. The myth of the crystal skulls exists, an archaeological magazine in the university had a cover story on them.

I'm not very good on South American history, but from what I knew, everything seemed fine. Those Crystal Skulls exist -one of them actually is on display in the British museum, as Indy said- but their authenticity is disputed.

Finally watched Saw IV.  Having liked the first three, this one was a must.  Despite not putting much faith into it, I was pleasantly surprised.  I enjoyed it.  The storyline keeps evolving and explaining more and more of Jigsaw's life.  Most sequals would have bumbled up by now.  As the movie nears the end, the viewer can see how the last two sequals tie in neatly.  Well done.  The surprise co-conspirator to Young and Jigsaw made a lot of sense as it explains how the culprits know so much of their victims.

I just got to see the new 'revisioning' of 'The Incredible Hulk'.  I liked it tons better than the first Hulk movie.  It had better acting, the cinematography was much bettr, the plot was stronger, and the fighting scenes were outstanding.  I think that this Hulk looked better, also, compared to the last one, much more menacing and realistic (if that term can be used here).  Rumor has it that Capt. America makes a cameo in the flick, but I didn't see it.  I do like how they are tieing together all the recent Marvel movies-- Iron Man, Hulk, and the soon to be released Thor, Capt America and Avengers.

I'll wait until it's on DVD, but I have heard it is better than the first one. However I still don't like the fact that CGI takes center stage. Hated that about the spiderman movies too, though their were enough scene with human to human to keep me happy, but CGI vs. CGI still makes me cringe. also
It's Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) who makes the cameo...

but then again you probably noticed that already

Yes, I did know that.  And it was pretty good, however:

The "Super-Soldier" syrum was used pretty obviosly, and I thought the references were pertty clear towards Cap.  I have read on dif forums that he could be seen, also-- kinda like the shield was on Tony Starks lab desk.

I finally saw Narnia: Prince Caspian yesterday and I haveto say I enjoyed it immensely. It was perhaps a tad long, but since the plot was enjoyable (I especially approve of how its very true to the books), the special effects were good, and the score was uplifting and appropriately epic, it went by all too fast. Just like the last movie I was impressed with whoever plays Lucy Pevensie (the young girl). She really does a great job of it. So go see it even if you'll be mostly sitting with middle aged parents and their 10 year old kids :).

Thanks, I didn't see it yet but I read different reviews about it. One of the positive ones states that the first Narnia film should have been as good as this one.

A negative one states that a lot of scenes were “borrowed” or “stolen” from other films:
train from Harry Potter – a brave fighting mouse (in stead of the “Puss in boots”) from Shrek – the fighting scenes from LOTR.

Coming back to an earlier discussion I had about the two films "No Country For Old Men" & (especially!) "There Will Be Blood" (which I found very overdone), I am immensely satisfied to see that NCFOM has passed TWBB in the IMDB, when it comes to ratings done by the audience.

Three months ago TWBB was way higher than the other. Ha!

In the top 250 TWBB was around number 11 when it came out and now it's on 73. Still high but 71 (NCFOM) is higher. I'm convinced that TWBB will continue to go down.

I hope that TWBB will be forgotten soon (I'm convinced that we won't hear a word of it anymore in the year 2017) and that the big influence for this film, namely "The Treasure of Sierra Madre" (from the year 1948, and currently at position 49 in the top 250) will be still appreciated for many decades.

Back