NOW WATCHING

I never read any of the books or seen a Hunger Games movie before but really enjoyed this movie. I´m even planning to read the novel but still doubting about the language.

I never read any of the books or seen a Hunger Games movie before but really enjoyed this movie. I´m even planning to read the novel but still doubting about the language.

I always say, if possible, read it in the original. For example, I'll read Shakespeare in English and Cervantes in Spanish. But if the original work was in Norwegian, like Sophie's World or Russian like War and Peace, I'll read it in whatever I can find it either Spanish or English. If it was originally in German I'll try and get it in English and if it was originally a romance language like Italian, Portuguese or French I'll look for it in Spanish.

I saw Ridley Scott's Napoleon last night...

Maybe this is still sinking in, but I feel kind of lukewarm about this film.
Beautiful cinematography, breathtaking (although not strictly accurate) recreations of battles, pretty decent historical dress, a big cast list of stock theatre and character actors, Joaquin Phoenix being very Joaquin Phoenix (which happens to work well for Napoleon), and few to no Hollywood cliches.....

But also very much focused on portraying a dysfunctional relationship between Napoleon and Josephine. I was always expecting it to be more a biography than a history, but it's not really that either. I don't even think they delved into his mind as much as I thought they might.

I did wonder how they'd fit so much into one film, even such a long film. What's presented is a series of lavish sketches or snapshots of Napoleon's high (and low) points, but particularly in his personal life, as they tie the ups and downs in the relationship to Napoleon's successes and downfall.

I definitely recommend seeing it, nonetheless, it's an absolute spectacle visually, and highly entertaining.

AC Milan vs my fave Bundesliga team Borussia Dortmund in Champions League play.
I see Newcastle is winning. F them.

scale

Saw a few recently. Watched Tick, Tick Boom, the semi-autobiographical musical from the guy that wrote Rent. It was surprisingly good. Apparently Andrew Garfield learned how to sing just for this role.

Also watched a German WWII movie, Blood and Gold. Freakin' amazing. It's about a Nazi soldier who decided to desert, because he doesn't agree with what they're doing and just wants to go back to his daughter. The small group of Nazi soldiers that hung him and left him for dead, are going to a nearby town where there is hidden gold. So this soldier, a a farm girl, her brother and the folks of this town comprise most of the drama and action.

Finally, watched Napoleon in theaters. I'm glad I did, I knew that while the history may be... iffy at best, the battle scenes were going to be amazing and they were. Phoenix gives a good performance as he's done as of late and I really enjoyed it. That being said, I also Enjoyed Braveheart lol, clearly accurate history doesn't prevent me from enjoying a banger of a movie.

So I've been on a Castlevania kick. Been working my way through the games and today I decided to watch the Netflix series. Holy hell, what a masterpiece! I'm not done yet, I think I just started season 3, haven't been paying attention to the episode count. Anyway, watching it made me yearn for a Castlevania game a la Witcher III. It highlighted how stale the game formula is, just killing Dracula over and over when there are other vampires and creatures the Belmonts could be hunting. I think I'll follow this up with Castlevania Nocturne.

Can't say that I give two shits about YouTube influencers in general, but I always enjoy seeing someone take out the trash, especially in such detailed and pointed fashion.

Can't say that I give two shits about YouTube influencers in general, but I always enjoy seeing someone take out the trash, especially in such detailed and pointed fashion.

He's of the few I still make a point to watch. Surprised he didn't address the whole Sssniperwolf debacle as she was made fun of for lazy content at best, stealing it at worst. But there are other people that already talked about it anyway.

Geddy-Lee-Asks-Are-Bass-Players-Human-Too-1200x892.jpeg

Not the deepest or most inspired thing I’ve seen, but it offers a quick, breezy view into the personal interests of Les Claypool, Robert Trujillo, Melissa Auf Der Maur, and Krist Novoselic in under 80 minutes.

Watched Leave the World Behind. Great performances by everyone, the only bad thing is Kevin Bacon is only in it for like 2 minutes, but man he makes them count. Without going into spoilers, because I think it is worth watching, Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawke take their family on a weekend getaway when unexpectedly Mahershala Ali and his daughter show up at their door claiming to be the owner of the house. Something's happened in the city and they need to spend the night. Tension rises... what happened? why are there no phones, wifi, TV or radio? Is he really the owner of the house? Will tensions rise to the point they turn on each other? Why are the animals behaving weird? What the fuck is that noise!?

Finished Castlevania. Loved it. Well... almost. I didn't like everyone getting a happy ending. I feel it would have been stronger if certain characters stayed dead. As that weird guy in Pet Sematary says, "Sometimes dead is bettah." Aside from that amazing show. Also watched the only season of Castlevania Nocturne. I can see why people aren't loving it the same way as the first series, but I'm liking it so far, hope they keep going. It's hard to get invested in a sequel when all the characters you loved (except for one) are dead because you fast forward 300 years. I do like that even with the jump you get two generations of Belmonts in Juste and Richter.

Back