1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOW WATCHING

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Onhell, Sep 1, 2004.

1. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

After re-watching Inglourious Basterds yesterday (and loving every monent), we just rewatched Grindhouse. Well, "re-watched" - I'd seen that movie once, spliced, ten years ago and my wife has never seen it at all, but you know what I mean.
    To have the complete experience, we watched the "double" version (with the trailers and so) but in the end we switched for the "single" Death Proof release, to have the "uncut" version. And man, ten years on, I still love it. Yeah, Planet Terror is silly, nonsensical, exploitative, disgusting and overall weird and it could probably never stand on its own. But - and I know I once again speak against the popular vote, because most people seem to hate it - Death Proof is utterly awesome. I feel as if I could've watched the movie again and again, because it's just put together in such a wonderful way... I don't know whether it's truly my favourite Tarantino work, but I guess it'd at least definitely fight for the spot with the last two. Probably one of the most underrated movies of the 00's so far, along with Children of Men. Well, at least out of the films I've seen so far.

P.S. - Zoe Bell. Man, what a woman. When she - hee-hawing - straddles the car door, something just moves inside of you. Ten years ago, I went in for Rosario Dawson and left enamoured by Bell and nowadays it's pretty much the same. Yeah, I'm married. Shut up.

2. Me and my girlfriend just watched 'A Serbian Film'... think she may be scarred for life and I regret actually watching it in full; the only film I wish I could un-see

3. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

It's embarrassing that they called that abomination "A Serbian Film". Fucking idiots. (Never saw it, just read the Wikipedia synopsis.)

4. I'm assuming you're Serbian? I would reccomend that nobody watches this film ever.

5. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Yeah. I mean, our movies aren't really well-known abroad and it angers me that the most well-known one is called "A Serbian Film" and it's about pedophiles and rape and stuff.

6. Yeah i'll admit that its the only one I know but i'm not that naiive to think that its an indication of Serbian film as a whole :) my step-mum who was originally from Yugoslavia had the same mentality

7. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

I've heard about that one. Googled it and found "A Serbian Film is a masterpiece if you can stomach gore. It passes a stark message. Avoid all ratings and do watch it!" But yeah, I saw the pictures and I don't plan on watching it.

8. Masterpeice?! Nah. The gore was not the issue for me, more the themes

9. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Just watched Alien Covenant again. Thought it was okay at the cinema, but in truth it has all the annoying faults of Prometheus. Then watch Alien 3, which I hadn't seen in years. Despite it being widely panned it's probably a better, tighter, more cohesive film than either of the newer ones.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Navigators Ghost likes this.
  10. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

:ok:

The most underrated movie in the series, IMHO.

11. Just got back from seeing 'It'... was better than I expected but not enough of Pennywise for me! Bill Skarsgard was awesome

12. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

13. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

Trump's Toupee: The Early Years?

Navigators Ghost likes this.
  14. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

15. Great film!! Not seen that in a while, Bowies lunchbox is always an odd sight

16. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

it - Annabelle Creation was the scarier film bit it was much better on story and writing. Like Bill Skarsgard in Hemlock Grove but this is where he can really let loose. Looking forward to sequel.

American Assassin - better than I thought it would be. Having read all the books in the series, I was concerned about Michael Keaton playing Stan Hurley (who i always pictured as being a large guy), but as usual, Keaton did not disappoint. Dylan O'Brien is who plays Mitch was better and more intense than expected as well.

mother! - wtf did I just watch?! That last half hour was pure insanity! I knew most of it was symbolic but of what I wasn't sure. If I had stayed to read the cast characters' "names", then I might have figured it out. Had to go online to read the filmmakers' explanation. Makes more sense now but the third act was still madness. Don't know if i like it or not...

17. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

mother! is really...really fucked up. It's an amazingly shot film that is absolutely ridiculous. I get what Aronofsky and Lawrence were trying to do, and maybe the election of a certain Trump has pushed them towards a greater desperation, but allegory has no meaning if it is completely undecipherable by the average person.

terrell39 likes this.
  18. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

My wife's take on it, a couple of hours after coming out of the theatre:

terrell39 likes this.
  19. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

I really enjoyed the film. I wasn't scared, but I was thoroughly entertained and had a lot of fun with it. Pennywise was done really well, and I'm glad they used him so sparingly, and let the rest of the story unfold itself. Really well written and executed, much, much better than you'd think.

terrell39 and Navigators Ghost like this.
  20. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

Last night saw Breach starring Chris Cooper, Ryan Phillippe, Laura Linney, Caroline Dhavernas (from the TV show Hannibal) & Dennis Haybert. Made 10 years ago about America's worst traitor Robert Hanssen. He was an FBI agent who for 22 years sold the Russians secrets. In this film, Cooper reminds me a lot of the boss I had for a decade who finally retired. Good film.