NOW WATCHING

Saw an early screening of Kingsman: The Secret Service, and it is bloody good fun. It's disgusting, there's tons of violence, but it's funny, action-packed, and wonderfully ridiculous. It almost feels like a parody of spy films, except the filmmakers clearly love the genre so much that it comes off as more of an over-the-top homage. Probably the best fight scenes and action sequences I've seen in many, many years. The camera-work is nothing short of groundbreaking.

Watched the the premier of Parks and Rec last night. Funny stuff, looks like they are doing an hour per week to burn off the rest of the series

The Theory of Everything - Slightly tedious and very melodramatic. I went into it expecting to learn something about Stephen Hawking and his theories, but it's really just a romantic drama. The performances, especially by Eddie Redmayne, are phenomenal and it is a good, well-made film, I just wanted more science.

Boyhood - More of a science experiment than a movie. It's very interesting from a filmmaking perspective, very curious to watch people literally age on film, but there is little to no story.

Watched the the premier of Parks and Rec last night. Funny stuff, looks like they are doing an hour per week to burn off the rest of the series

Just saw it today. I currently have no TV shows that I'm following so it's good to have Parks and Rec back. Even though it is the final season.

I'd recommend Brooklyn Nine-Nine. It's not a mockumentary like Parks & Rec, but Mike Schur co-created both shows and they have similar humor and style.

I also just started watching Community. It's funny but also quite... thoughtful, sophisticated, dunno how to explain. Also a big plus for all 3 of these shows - no laugh track and humor isn't based on people being mean to each other (Jerry excluded :p).

All three of those shows are amazing. Can't wait to start watching the new Parks and Rec episodes!

Brooklyn Nine-Nine has quickly become my favorite comedy show. The cast is great (especially Andre Braugher), the writing is great, and it is consistently funny. If you like Parks and Rec, it's definitely worth a shot.

I loved Community, but it definitely had its ups and downs. 100% worth watching, though.

I loved Community. Never did see the last season though.
Parks and Rec is next on my list.

Just watched From Hell (2001) starring Johnny Depp. Based on Alan Moore's graphic novel about Jack the Ripper, I guess it's fiction over facts taken for granted. Had not seen it before but I think it was a good horror mystery.

I've never seen that movie, but I've always wanted to. I'll have to check it out.

Just watched The Imitation Game and it was spectacular. Very dramatic, very "powerful", but a tragic, beautiful story with Cumberbatch knocking it out of the park.

Just watched From Hell (2001) starring Johnny Depp. Based on Alan Moore's graphic novel about Jack the Ripper, I guess it's fiction over facts taken for granted. Had not seen it before but I think it was a good horror mystery.

It is. There's certainly a lot of fiction, stereotypes and supposition in it, but very gritty period-inspired stuff.

Watching National Treasure (2004).

One of those films I always enjoy watching when it's on TV. Really entertaining and atmostpheric adventure.

New Amazon pilot. Really well done, I hope they pick it up

The Man in the High Castle
Based on Philip K. Dick's award-winning novel, and executive produced by Ridley Scott (Blade Runner), The Man in the High Castle explores what it would be like if the Allied Powers had lost WWII, and Japan and Germany ruled the United States. Starring Rufus Sewell (John Adams), Luke Kleintank (Pretty Little Liars) and Alexa Davalos (Mob City).

I never read the book, so I cannot compare it. But on its own, the pilot was really well done and skimming the internet and Amazon it has gotten a lot of positive feedback. I feel good about it being picked up.

I'll add it to the incredibly long "to read" list ... but I'll probably save it until the show is done so I can enjoy the show. In the first episode they built up a bit of mystery (that may or may not have been in the book), but I'd rather watch it without an idea of what it is.

Back