NOW READING

I'm 200 odd pages into Dune.

Really, REALLY good so far.

Was a bit apprehensive at first but I'm pleasantly surprised! I've been dying for some good, solid sci-fi.

I know I probably should have my balls removed for this, but I'm actually reading the Twilight series (and enjoying it.) I'm about 150 pages away from finishing New Moon.

GatesOfTomorrow said:
I know I probably should have my balls removed for this, but I'm actually reading the Twilight series (and enjoying it.) I'm about 150 pages away from finishing New Moon.

Yes, yes you should :p Different strokes for different folks...

LogJam said:
I'm 200 odd pages into Dune.

Really, REALLY good so far.

Was a bit apprehensive at first but I'm pleasantly surprised! I've been dying for some good, solid sci-fi.
                    I made the mistake of starting with the movie and had no clue what was going on. I'd like to start the book soon. I'm currently reading Maus and 1984. I'd like to get the books that inspired maiden songs like dune and seventh son.

I always love good solid sci-fi. The "holy trinity" of Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke is always a good place to start. Recently, I've been reading Lois McMaster-Bujold's Vorkosigan series. Great fun!

just finished maus. amazing book looking forward to reading the sequal. Great read for people intrested in the holocaust. WWII is my favorite era to read about too.

Wasted CLV said:
The "holy trinity" of Heinlein, Asimov, and Clarke is always a good place to start.

Clarke is a god.

Rama...  :notworthy:

I also want to read some more Philip K Dick, DADOES? was pretty good. The Man In The High Tower looks really interesting.

Any Stephen King fans around?

A SF-writer called Philip Dick?

*trying not to laugh*
Mhm Maha ...

Mrrrrrmm maa ha ha

BRAAAAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Forostar said:
A SF-writer called Philip Dick?

*trying not to laugh*
Mhm Maha ...

Mrrrrrmm maa ha ha

BRAAAAHAHAAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hey, he's one of the more influential authors ever! He wrote Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? which is the novel on which Blade Runner was based. Also, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly, Paycheck, even The King of the Elves which is being made into a Disney movie.

I would highly recommend reading Philip K Dick. His numerous novels typically try to answer the question of what is real and what is human. He was very prolificv, writing something like 40 novels and dozens of short stories. I find that his novels are generally better than the shorts. Since his output varies in quality (he wrote 12 books in 2 years at one point) I would recommend some of the following:

-Do Andoids Dream of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner is based on this)
-The 3 Stigmata of Palmer Edritch
-Now Wait for Last Year
-Martian Time Slip
-Dr. Bloodmoney
-A Scanner Darkly
-Flow My Tears the Policeman Said
-A Mazae of Death
-The Man in the High Castle
-Ubik

All of his novels are relatively short 200-225 pages, but be forewarned they do start off a little slow, and his prose is not always the most compelling. What is interesting though are his ideas and his view of human nature.

Happy reading!

LooseCannon said:
You mean The Man In The High Castle, one of my favourite books of all time.

That's the one...   :blush:

On Stephen King: He did lose it a bit after his accident. For starters, he butchered the Dark Tower series. Wolves of the Calla was pretty good, but the last two were a bit of a letdown. Also, the ending was terrible. But nothing can touch the first four books  :)

Under The Dome was alright. I don't think I've ever gotten so angry at a fictional character as I did with Big Jim... I wanted to strangle him. I applaud King in that regard. He also wrote in the characters and town quite well, and the ending (to me at least) was fairly good.

And also: The Stand.

:D

Just re-read Larry Niven's "Integral Trees" and "Smoke Ring".  That dude can spin a tale.  Between the Smoke Ring and the Ringworld... what great setting for stories. 

In essence, the Smoke Ring is a 'ring' of atmosphere where a planet once was, and it has kinda dissolved away.  So, there is a human population that lives within that ring in relative zero-gravity.  Cool 'landscape'.

I'm a hundred odd pages into my second reading of The Stand - by Stephen King.

For the next few weeks I'll be scared to hell if I catch a cold  :S

Back