NOW PLAYING

Trip down memory lane!
In the mid 90´s a classmate gave me some tapes to introduce me to the heavier side of metal (Benediction, Death, Paradise Lost and Morbid Angel )
Chapel Of Ghouls was my favorite back then, it was so creepy and captivating! Lost interest in the genre though.

I used to be obsessed about death metal, deathrash and those harder aspects of thrash (Morbid Saint, early Sepultura, Sarcofago, Kreator etc.) about ten years ago, I think. I mostly liked the technical sides (latter-day Death, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Psycroptic, Gorguts and so on, also, Cattle Decap were only starting to become good back then), but other stuff too.
And I mostly switched to folk and black (funnily enough, the switch was mostly caused by Opeth) and then I almost got out of metal altogether.

I still get my relapses from time to time - right now I'm actually listening to a lot of death metal and other stuff from back then.

However, as for Altars - as far as "classic debut album still somewhat rooted in thrash from a mostly-mainstream death metal band" goes, I still prefer Cannibal Corpse's debut, myself.

I used to be obsessed about death metal, deathrash and those harder aspects of thrash (Morbid Saint, early Sepultura, Sarcofago, Kreator etc.) about ten years ago, I think. I mostly liked the technical sides (latter-day Death, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Psycroptic, Gorguts and so on, also, Cattle Decap were only starting to become good back then), but other stuff too.
And I mostly switched to folk and black (funnily enough, the switch was mostly caused by Opeth) and then I almost got out of metal altogether.

I still get my relapses from time to time - right now I'm actually listening to a lot of death metal and other stuff from back then.

However, as for Altars - as far as "classic debut album still somewhat rooted in thrash from a mostly-mainstream death metal band" goes, I still prefer Cannibal Corpse's debut, myself.
Why did you get out of metal?

At first it was because I had panic attacks and anxiety - while metal itself feels pleasurable and good to me, it is a thing that activises, arouses, agitates. Makes your blood pumping. If you're having trouble with your nerves and anxiety stuff, that does not help.

But that was only temporary - it's more like... dunno, I was fascinated by other stuff, I returned to prog rock (where I started originally), listening to folk music (the folklore one, not the Pete Seeger one), opera, really old music (including chants) and classical and so on and I found out I'm not replaying metal much. Many bands that were always the constant "safe harbour" I had overplayed to death (Maiden, Dream Theater, Kamelot, even Opeth) and so I kinda drifted away.

Something clicked about a year and a half ago and I became once again obsessed with power metal - the one that I listened to when I was about 12, which I left behind for being too simplistic and naive and cheesy and silly... but it actually brought me back.
It's still probably my most listened-to subgenre, but as of now I'm replaying a lot of other stuff. Other thing that "happened" was Mastodon releasing a new album around that same time - that one literally brought me back, maybe even more so than Maiden releasing Senjutsu.

At first it was because I had panic attacks and anxiety - while metal itself feels pleasurable and good to me, it is a thing that activises, arouses, agitates. Makes your blood pumping. If you're having trouble with your nerves and anxiety stuff, that does not help.

But that was only temporary - it's more like... dunno, I was fascinated by other stuff, I returned to prog rock (where I started originally), listening to folk music (the folklore one, not the Pete Seeger one), opera, really old music (including chants) and classical and so on and I found out I'm not replaying metal much. Many bands that were always the constant "safe harbour" I had overplayed to death (Maiden, Dream Theater, Kamelot, even Opeth) and so I kinda drifted away.

Something clicked about a year and a half ago and I became once again obsessed with power metal - the one that I listened to when I was about 12, which I left behind for being too simplistic and naive and cheesy and silly... but it actually brought me back.
It's still probably my most listened-to subgenre, but as of now I'm replaying a lot of other stuff. Other thing that "happened" was Mastodon releasing a new album around that same time - that one literally brought me back, maybe even more so than Maiden releasing Senjutsu.

Huh. I also like prog rock, but I never left Metal. If anything, my tastes became more extreme with time.
At least you came back!

Anyway, NP:

Venom - At Wat With Satan.
I listened to their first two and didn't really like them, sound too raw and messy, but I can see how they influenced so many bands.
This one is better so far, but I'm still not sure if I'll be able to like them enough to keep listening to them.

Back