NOW PLAYING

Sorry, I fucked up there, I thought Prince came after it, I do have Silent Whales too, in fact that was the first album I had. I only discovered Skyclad years after their heyday.

I am familiar with their earlier stuff, but this thread has inspired me to listen to more Skyclad. Thanks a lot, @Jer!

• Love
Reactions: Jer
I do have Silent Whales too, in fact that was the first album I had. I only discovered Skyclad years after their heyday.
The Silent Whales Of Lunar Sea was also my first Skyclad album, though it was their most recent album when I was first exposed to the band. Funnily enough, it's probably my least favorite album of theirs from the 1994-2001 period, a little rougher around the edges than I'd prefer.

The one that really snagged my interest when it was brand new was The Answer Machine?, because people talked about how Walkyier was actually attempting to sing, and there was a more equal balance between folk and metal on that record -- and both things wound up being true. I ended up falling in love with that album, and that was the bridge to connecting with their other material, though it's still hard for me to listen to the stuff from before Prince Of The Poverty Line because it's so rough and raw.

Post-Walkyier Skyclad obviously can't compete with the Walkyier stuff at all lyrically, but the music is still good. And some of the rerecorded songs from the pre-Prince period on No Daylights Nor Heeltaps with Kevin Ridley doing the vocals are much more to my taste than the originals, FWIW.

Back