Nicko no longer with Premier

Lego

Ancient Mariner
Nicko has been removed from Premier's artist roster: (http://drumset.premier-percussion.com/artists) and the "Spirit of Maiden" kit is no longer listed on their products page!

Premier has been through some tough times recently, and let go of everyone in their custom shop (the people behind the Aces High snares, One series etc.). The ex-employees have started a new company: http://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/british-drum-company-announced-628420

I wonder where Nicko will end up? I'm betting DW, Ludwig or this new company. It would be amazing if he went back to Sonor though! :edmetal:

My bet is DW since he is already using their pedals and one of their big artists (called Neil) has retired. His son also plays DW.

P.S. Maybe we'll find the answer tonight as Nick is playing a gig in Akron, Ohio with McBrainiacs.

Last edited:
My bet is DW since he is already using their pedals and one of their big artists (called Neil) has retired. His son also plays DW.

P.S. Maybe we'll find the answer tonight as Nick is playing a gig in Akron, Ohio with McBrainiacs.
Possibly, but I think a better bet is the Rock n Roll Ribs party on 12/5. He usually uses his own kit for those- at least the past few. He may just have a borrowed kit tonite.

According to a fan club member who went to the McBrainiacs gig in Ohio- Nicko was using a Sonor. Might not mean anything, but still...

It's official! Welcome home Nicko!

12509613_535116513315043_1115977771260117868_n.jpg

AFAIK his contacts/friends at Sonor moved to Premier.
I loved the sound of his Signia kit (1993-1998 or so). On his old-school Sonor toms and bass drum sound really thin, even with similar level of production, eg. drum sound comparison between FOTD and TXF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't read anything yet but he got some explaining to do. Why did he ever leave Sonor??
He's never said anything specific, but I know it had something to do with the sale of Sonor to new owners in the 90s. He's back with them now likely because Premier suddenly let all of their UK custom shop folks go, and haven't really been managed well for some time now.

More from the Sonor drums Facebook site:

"This feels like a family reunion.
We are more than pleased to welcome Nicko McBrain, legendary Drummer for Metal icons Iron Maiden back to the SONOR family of artists!!
If you're at the 2016 Winter NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA, USA, make sure to stop by at booth 2375 in hall d!! We got something very special on display there... also make sure to visit our main display in hall d, booth 3240 to see what's new from SONOR this year!!
Read the full news here: sonor.com/news""

12525229_10156463080025338_3983139360387186235_o.jpg

A few sources on FB are circulating this as part of the press release. Though I haven't been able to confirm its validity, it seems pretty likely:

Nicko will play a custom SQ² setup, finished with an IRON MAIDEN design matching the tour production. Details about the kit and images will be unleashed on the SONOR website and social media outlets by February 24.

"This is such amazing news for everybody at SONOR. It's an honor to welcome Nicko back to the family, it feels like he's never been away!" - Thomas Barth

"It's just amazing that we have this great relationship. I'm very happy to be back." - Nicko McBrain

I don't really know much about Nicko's kits... On which albums did he use Sonor? (And we're talking about just toms, kick and snare, right?)

And yes, the kit only. I believe Nicko has been using Paiste cymbals since the early 80s?
I think late 70s as well for Paiste. He's certainly never switched since he joined Trust.

As far as I know, he'll still be using DW pedals with his new Sonors. Haven't heard anything to the contrary anyways.

Full Sonor/Nicko video, featuring some other awesome drummers!

I won't have a chance to watch until tonight, really looking forward to it!

Back