Need some help to fill in some papers

Hello all,

I am french and I am actually filling some administrative papers in english. But it all starts with :

"Print or locked caps only (illegible application will not be considered)".
What does "print or locked caps" mean ? Have I to fill the blanks with caps lock activated (well, or by holding the shift key :D ), or does it just mean I have to use a computer to fill ?

Thank you for your help :)

Before this thread descends into the madness as it is destined to in this particular forum, let me give you a straight answer:

"Print" means that you are supposed to write the words by hand in the same manner as you would write them on the computer (as opposed to your regular, cursive handwriting). "Locked caps" means that I, if I were you, would write everything in capital letters just to make sure. It would also mean that if you filled this form in using your computer, you should have caps lock on.

EDIT: According to my French dictionary, the French term for "printing" in this context would be using caractères d'imprimerie/typographiques (if that makes sense).

Thanks a lot Perun (and by the way, don't worry, your french perfectly makes sense).
But I think I understood : locked caps means the writing as to be print on the paper, can't be removed.
Anyway, you are right, I will write with caps lock on, so I'll be sure :)

Perun said:
...as opposed to your regular, cursive handwriting...

Maybe I'm unusual, but I never use cursive as my "regular" writing. I find it to be a freakin' pain in the ass. I always print. The only time I use cursive is for my signature, or writing checks.

Then again, my cursive is horrible. Unless I really concentrate on making it legible, it cannot be read, even by me.

And it's probably been at least 10 years since I wrote anything substantial by hand. If I need to write anything more than a few sentences, it gets typed on a computer and saved or printed.

But you're weird SMX. I find print slow and tedious, I hand write too many things to bother with print. i usually use a mixture of both though. The first letter of every sentence and most words I print followed by the rest in cursive. While horrible a few years back and still unreadable by most untrained eyes, it has gotten better :D

I don't know why, but several years ago, I started to print too. I write a lot by hand, and I could never read my cursive writing, but I print very fast now.

Everything that I put on paper is in print.  I even write checks (cheques) in print.  I sign my name in 'cursive' but its more of a scribble than actual writing. Mostly its for me, so I can read what I have written-- and that doesn't always help.

Perun said:
I could never read my cursive writing,

I used to have that problem with other people's cursive, still do with most of what my aunt writes me, but I can usually tell my 'Ls" from my 'Ts" :D

Onhell said:
I used to have that problem with other people's cursive, still do with most of what my aunt writes me, but I can usually tell my 'Ls" from my 'Ts" :D

Are you trying to say something about my handwriting...?

Ha, if so, its cool, cause my handwriting sucks really badly!

Your's? No, I was surprised you typed the last letter though hahaha. I do it because I no longer have time to sit and write, guess that was your excuse too. All good. :)

Yeah, I prefer to 'write' letters, as opposed to typing them.  But, you are correct, typing is much faster.

Deano said:
To quote a noted thespian:

"Exactly  :D"

;)

Wow!  Onhell must have been quoting the same thespian!  Who would have guessed you two think so much a like!!  :innocent:

Much like my spoiled, middle aged cat, Onhell needs his back scatched sometimes....  ;)  :lol:

Back