Music obtaining binge

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
It's that time again!  Now that Doomcompy has arrived, I intend to binge in more music.  What I need from you is recommendations.

I'm not at home so I can't list everything I have.  But I am looking for metal, classic rock, hard rock, that sort of thing.  Please keep in mind I intend to go out and obtain as much as possible from the bands as listed.

So far, I am thinking:
The Who
Tom Petty
Grand Funk Railroad
Lynyrd Skynyrd

But more suggestions are needed.
Perun has convinced me to get Turinisas, but he'll have to spell it for me.

Ok, Helix has been spoken of, you might like that.

Honeymoon Suite
Riot (that stuff ranges from 'classic rock' to 'power metal')
Blackfoot
Rainbow (tho you may have that)
Humble Pie
Free  (30 Days In The Hole)
Badlands (they had one or two good albums)
Black Lable Society  (it is a diff sound than what Zakk plays for Ozzy, imo)

-- Doesn't SMX have an issue with 'Railroad' in Grand Funk?
Uriah Heep
UFO
MSG

for something a little different try Earthless - Live at Roadburn/Sonic Prayer(endless guitar solos with a Hendrix meets Hawkwind meets Mountain 70,s vibe) Tia Carrera-November Sessions(similar to Earthless but with a hint of Sabbath). And Nebula-The Peel Sessions(Stoner but with a more straight forward Metal feel).

For something heavier try anything by High on Fire or Black Cobra or Lair of the Minotaur.

I've also just bought II by Humanfly which is really heavy but with some nice melodic parts, a bit like Neurosis/Pelican.

And the best thing about these bands............Not a keyboard in sight!

Wasted155 said:
Doesn't SMX have an issue with 'Railroad' in Grand Funk?

Yes, I do. The band started and ended as "Grand Funk", only using the word "Railroad" for a period in the middle. And they did their best music as "Grand Funk". If the album cover contains the word "Railroad", skip it.

Of course, the above is just a rough guide ... GF had some bad songs, GFR some good ones. But overall, GF was much better.
Kopfanatic said:
And the best thing about these bands............Not a keyboard in sight!

There's nothing wrong with keyboards. If you have a lunatic aversion to keyboards, you'll miss out on some great music.

I,ve nothing against keyboards, Elton John plays a mean piano!

My Dying Bride have ditched their keyboard player and gone back to a violin.Thank God for that!

SPACE ROCK
Hawkwind -everything until 1980

CLASSIC
The Cream -everything
Jethro Tull -until 1978
the (holy) DOORS -every-single-thing

PSYCHEDELIC
Procol Harum -the 5 first ---until 1971
Jefferson Airplane -60s

POLITICAL ROCK
Edgar Broughton Band -until 1972
MC5 -until 1972

ENGLISH BLUES ROCK
Yardbirds -everything
John Mayall -1965, 1966
Rolling Stones -the awesome era of 1967 -1972

BEST METAL BAND EVER EXISTED : Warlord 1983-84

OTHER EXCELLENT METAL TO DISCOVER :
Savatage (everything!!)
Bathory (especially the albul Twilight of the Gods)
Nevermore (everything)
Pantera (everything from Cowboys from Hell and after)

Kopfanatic said:
My Dying Bride have ditched their keyboard player and gone back to a violin.Thank God for that!

Wow, I totally missed this (I didn't follow the band for about one year or so)!
Anyway, thanks for the info!  :ok:

How about doing yourself a favor and finally getting some Zeppelin for Christ's sake!  ;)

Montrose (the band that Sammy got his start with)-- good stuf there: Rock Candy, Bad Motor Scooter, etc.

LooseCannon said:
I'm not at home so I can't list everything I have.  But I am looking for metal, classic rock, hard rock, that sort of thing.  Please keep in mind I intend to go out and obtain as much as possible from the bands as listed.

So far, I am thinking:
The Who
Tom Petty
Grand Funk Railroad
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Let me see if I can help...

So you're interested in The Who? While the studio albums are great, they were significantly better live. Don't miss out on Live At Leeds, one of the greatest live albums ever. Make sure to get a recent release with the full concert.

And for some at-times-similar British rock, get into The Kinks. More of a singles band there, get "The Ultimate Collection" if you can find it (2-CD GH).

Petty is a good choice. He's one of those prototypical American-mainstream-rockers. But if you get Petty, you also need some Springsteen. His first few albums are essential - get the albums up through Born To Run.

Grand Funk is kind of hit-or-miss... their later albums are mostly mediocre. Get the Closer To Home album and the "red album" (cover is red, titled "Grand Funk"). The rest of the albums have gems worth hearing; they're not bad, but you'll sit through some (comparative) stinkers to hear the good ones.

Skynyrd is good, but also check out The Allman Brothers Band. First five albums are crucial (that's the first 4 studio, plus Live At Fillmore East). And don't forget the Black Crowes, especially the first 2 albums. Their debut, Shake Your Money Maker, is one of my all-time favorites.

SinisterMinisterX said:
And for some at-times-similar British rock, get into The Kinks. More of a singles band there, get "The Ultimate Collection" if you can find it (2-CD GH).
The Kinks is a good shout. They had quite a diverse type sound that influenced bands from The Jam to Van Halen and are reputed as being the Godfathers of the heavy metal riff. Although, as SMX has said, they are one of those bands that you can pick up a decent best of and be happy with that. A bit like Motorhead. :D

Back