Most tortured rhyme in a Maiden song?

My impression of Wild Wind is that it caricates the English attitude. The world is ending outside, and what does an Englishman do? Keep calm an drink a cup of tea. Mind you, I've had that interpretation confirmed by English people, along with my feeling that the entire song could not in any way be more English. Seriously, when I hear the song, I can't help but think of England all the time.

My impression of Wild Wind is that it caricates the English attitude. The world is ending outside, and what does an Englishman do? Keep calm an drink a cup of tea. Mind you, I've had that interpretation confirmed by English people, along with my feeling that the entire song could not in any way be more English. Seriously, when I hear the song, I can't help but think of England all the time.

It sums up the quintessential British attitude perfectly well. Keep calm and carry on!

Sort of, and that's in the spirit of When The Wind Blows, but it also reminds me of the Year 2000 survivalists.

Actually a bit surprised that the whole thing is on YouTube but it is, definitely a must watch for everyone on this forum. You'll see how Maiden pretty much took the entire storyline from the movie but added their own little twist to the tale as well...You'll see how the characters in the movie and the whole setting is very British..;)

Here ya go, the animated movie the song is based on:

I guess probably everybody has watched the film but, just in case, here it is:

I prefer the graphic novel, but nonetheless the film is impressive.

Nice haha :D

But yeah. I understand what you mean that it captures the atmosphere and everything. But it's just a unnatural stop ..."just sit and wait" sung just sounds wrong :)

The movie is awesome, but hardly related to the song. The movie is about the aftermath of the explosion and the couple's naiveté when waiting for the government to help them. The Maiden song is more about preparing for the disaster. I almost get the feeling that it's a criticism of over sensationalized news stories, with a story that takes it to the extreme.

The movie is awesome, but hardly related to the song. The movie is about the aftermath of the explosion and the couple's naiveté when waiting for the government to help them. The Maiden song is more about preparing for the disaster. I almost get the feeling that it's a criticism of over sensationalized news stories, with a story that takes it to the extreme.

I would say the film is closely related to the song, although it is true that it concentrates more in the aftermath of the explosion (not for the first half hour though). On the other hand, it is a 50/50 split in the graphic novel between preparation and aftermath.

Yeah I'd say very closely too. You see them hearing and reacting to the news on the radio and the old man starts building the shelter and makes preparations by following a government pamphlet...so all those Maiden lyrics, "Have you heard the news today, in the shelter feeling snug" are all there...beside that I think Maiden also lifted other things from the movie, such as the flashback scenes which there is quite a few of (the elderly couple looking back in time to when they were young) also lots of garden scenes (stares across the garden, looking at meadows" also...if I'm not mistaken have to watch the movie again, when the shock wave does reach them I'm pretty sure that there is a scene in which a picture of them falls to the floor upside down or something like that, but have to watch it again :)

The only way it's related IMO is very basic plot points and characters. Not even that, since besides being an old couple there wasn't anything that related the characters in the song to the ones in the movie. Also, poisoning themselves would've been insanely out of character.

@Black Abyss Babe it took me some time to understand your definition of "tortured rhyme" LOL!

Since we are at it I will say, the chorus in Flash Of The Blade, specially "In a corner, forgotten by no one" part. I always found it a bit odd but Bruce pulls it beautifully.

Don't you think I'm a savior?
Don't you think I could save you?
Don't you think I could save your life?

By the Tigris river
He met King Darius again
And crushed him again in the battle of Arbela
Entering Babylon
And Susa, treasures he found
Took Persepolis, the capital of Persia

Yup, those are tortured attempts at rhymes, alright. :D

...the lyrics in the slow breakdown part of 'Charlotte The Harlot' are particularly terrible (i.e. the singing of 'drawers are off-colour to' all emotionally). Also the rhyming of 'yesterday' with 'day' is lazy.

Well, Charlotte, you told me you'd love me true
Picking up pieces of love, yesterday
Well, Charlotte, your drawers are off-color, too, oh
'Cause you're making love all day

...the lyrics in the slow breakdown part of 'Charlotte The Harlot' are particularly terrible (i.e. the singing of 'drawers are off-colour to' all emotionally). Also the rhyming of 'yesterday' with 'day' is lazy.

Well, Charlotte, you told me you'd love me true
Picking up pieces of love, yesterday
Well, Charlotte, your drawers are off-color, too, oh
'Cause you're making love all day
Some might say the whole song is terrible.

Back