Moments you thought Maiden were ridiculous and embarrassing

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
Maiden always have been on the edge of embarrassment ever since I think.
One of the later examples was Bruce's pilot cap while performing Aces High during the LOTB-tour IMHO...
What else comes to your minds?

Last edited:
When walk on Eddies appears on stage since 1982. It's just a 'kill me now' moment. So You can guess how ridiculous can be the 3 zombies on stage like on this tour.
Oh I forget… the amp backdrops since 1995, and some backdrops too.
…some Bruce behavior …
I'm sure there are a few more

Iron Maiden’s show has always been between the sublime and the ridiculous, with its pantomime characteristics. When done well (e.g., World Slavery Tour), it is outstanding; other times it can be cringeworthy (some of the walk-on Eddies in the late 90s were frankly embarrassing). Either way, it is still somewhat charming to see pensioners playing a gig with a giant zombie behind whilst keeping straight faces.

Some other ridiculous/embarrassing things that come to mind are the following:

- Eddie’s fights with Bruce. The sword fight on the Legacy of the Beast tour was silly, the fight on the Future Past tour and associated banter is even worse.
- Eddie’s rude gestures to the audience. What’s the point?
- The scantily clad ladies that were on stage during The Number of the Beast on the first few shows of the Early Days tour. What were they trying to show with that? We can also mention the lady on stage during 22 Acacia Avenue on Beast Over Hammersmith. Very sexist, if you ask me, although Maiden are - thankfully - not as bad as most of their contemporaries.
- Some of the band’s stage outfits, with Bruce being the worst offender. In terms of ridiculousness, it might be difficult to top his “Let’s pretend I am a Spitfire pilot whilst wearing a frilly shirt from a 19th century aristocratic toff” for Aces High in 2022. At least in 2018/19 the song was opening the show and Bruce was not wearing that shirt.
- Most of Bruce’s recent rants. Moronic beyond belief.

If we were to discuss their recorded output, some B-sides are particularly cringeworthy (Black Bart Blues, Nodding Donkey Blues) and the least we say about the Listen with Nicko series, the better.

Last edited:
Iron Maiden’s show has always been between the sublime and the ridiculous, with its pantomime characteristics. When done well (e.g., World Slavery Tour), it is outstanding; other times it can be cringeworthy (some of the walk on Eddies in the late 90s were frankly embarrassing). Either way, it is still somewhat charming to see pensioners playing a gig with a giant zombie behind whilst keeping straight faces.

Some other ridiculous/embarrassing things that come to mind are the following:

- Eddie’s fights with Bruce. The sword fight on the Legacy of the Beast tour was silly, the fight on the Future Past tour and associated banter is even worse.
- Eddie’s rude gestures to the audience. What’s the point?
- The scantily clad ladies that were on stage during The Number of the Beast on the first few shows of the Early Days tour. What were they trying to show with that? We can also mention the lady on stage during 22 Acacia Avenue on Beast Over Hammersmith. Very sexist, if you ask me, although Maiden are - thankfully - not as bad as most of their contemporaries.
- Some of the band’s stage outfits, with Bruce being the worst offender. In terms of ridiculousness, it might be difficult to top his “Let’s pretend I am a Spitfire pilot whilst wearing a frilly shirt from a 19th century aristocratic toff” for Aces High in 2022. At least in 2018/19 the song was opening the show and Bruce was not wearing that shirt.
- Most of Bruce’s recent rants. Moronic beyond belief.

If we were to discuss their recorded output, some B-sides are particularly cringeworthy (Black Bart Blues, Nodding Donkey Blues) and the least we say about the Listen with Nicko series, the better.
I agree with all of that :okok:

Bruce's onstage gender quips.
What were these now?

From the past, the only one that made me cringe in all the years was VXI. The football link up, the art work, the video for Angel & The Gambler, the lyrics to songs like 2 Worlds Collide and Lightning Strikes Twice, oh my I felt embarrased to be a fan back then. I remember reading the magazines back then and feeling sick when i saw the new logo, the shitty art, the fuckin footballers and the album name. Such a stylistic shit show.

The chat from the same era about a briefcase, a lunch and a man on the edge also jarred me.

Oh and Wildest Dreams hit a nerve, too. Cheesy lyrics and video, frivolous type of song, it all felt a little beneath the band that I had last seen laying waste to Rock In Rio (on dvd).

More recently, its Bruce. His onstage banter now feels really forced and decidedly unfunny and he uses strange tones of voice that make things slapstick rather than Metal.

Add to that the likes of duelling Eddie and pushing TNT plungers, well, I'm glad he can still sing, thats all I can say.

All that said, if this is what it takes for him to tolerate singin Iron Maiden for the 1000th time, well, its a fair enough trade, I suppose.

From the past, the only one that made me cringe in all the years was VXI. The football link up, the art work, the video for Angel & The Gambler, the lyrics to songs like 2 Worlds Collide and Lightning Strikes Twice, oh my I felt embarrased to be a fan back then. I remember reading the magazines back then and feeling sick when i saw the new logo, the shitty art, the fuckin footballers and the album name. Such a stylistic shit show.
Absolutely agree!!!

Reactions: Jer
- Some of Bruce’s opinions.
- most clothing in the 80’s. Adrian’s mullet
- I also don’t like how the band (and maybe Bruce the most) treated American fans in the early 2000’s. I get they were not so popular then, but don’t talk shit about your fans. Bruce even lived in the US for some years in the 90’s I think.
- the Ed hunter game. It was outdated even when it came out. And it had lots of bugs.
- All the beer brands. I’m okay with a beer brand or two, but it gets silly with all those types. Maiden is a MUSICAL BAND, not a brewery

Back