Metallica

I pre-ordered a CD once and it was shipped before the release date and arrived a date after release (Swallow The Sun's 2012 album from RecordShopX). TBOS arrived more than a week later iirc.

Not gonna say that they didn't try in the last 20 years. But this is the first time they've actually had good ideas to implement in songs for 20 years!!

Well, ReLoad and S&M - that's those 20 years I've been talking 'bout, during Anger they were as disfunctional as possible, Magnetic was pro-forma pseudo-old-school Tullica record, Beyond was a bunch of outtakes (although in the end it was pretty awesome, IMHO), the 30th anniversary Fillmore shows were great, but again - fellating the past and Lulu was a weird collaboration where music was secondary at best. Although they're probably the biggest metal band in the world (since even the non-metal crowd is aware of them), I can't help but think they've been cruising on autopilot the past two decades.

Totally agree. Someone stepped up big time in the studio this time.....Hetfield and Ulrich it seems...as they carry the load of the writing credits (and always have since day one) it just seems like they are more inspired than they've been in years...finally getting some good stuff out of Hetfield/Ulrich again is pretty sweet!

Last edited:
I pre-ordered a CD once and it was shipped before the release date and arrived a date after release (Swallow The Sun's 2012 album from RecordShopX). TBOS arrived more than a week later iirc.
Yea you can get luckier ordering from smaller shops. That's the only time I preorder, because even if it's late I'm going to have to order it anyway so I might as well preorder.

The band would never admit this as they always pitch themselves as the kings of integrity/honesty...but one good thing about the rock scene being effectively dead (in a visible/commercial sense) is that Metallica no longer has a trend or flavor of the month to follow now. I think most of the post-Black era has been tainted by Lars/Hetfield's need to be 'culturally relevant/embraced by the dominant scene of the day'. Freed from those shackles, I hope the band can just do their thing. Hardwired is a nice step in that direction.

Hardwired - Annoying song. Drums in the intro are repetitive as fuck (and throughout the rest of the song) and the lyrics are dumb. Attempts to be Fuel 2 (also annoying song), ends up even worse.
Atlas, Rise! - Nothing special really. Snare sound is too loud again. At least it's not a trashcan sound, but it's already annoying me. Chorus is pretty catchy and harmonies (bet Foro likes this :p) in the solo section are OK (but not too memorable).
Now That We're Dead - Main riff is too hard rock-ish. I don't like it. This song is total Load/Reload throwback... It's not too bad, but hope it's the only song with this style. Too slow and rockish.
Moth Into Flame - As I said before, this song is awesome. Has the right balance between slower and faster parts, an awesome chorus, solid leads by Kirk for once (although still kinda sloppy).
Dream No More - That riff is really weird in a cool way. Kinda buzzsaw-ish. Then the vocals kick in and the (Re)Load vibe comes back, but it works much better now. Chorus is solid but not too catchy; sounds like a grower though. This one also has some harmonies (Foro #2 :p).
Halo On Fire - This one's also full of harmonies, but is also easily the least memorable song so far.
Confusion - God, someone should teach Lars some fills. This one was Am I Evil? all the way. Average song really. Nothing too bad, nothing too good.
ManUNkind - This one was really bad. Absolutely nothing memorable, hard rock riffs and total (Re)Load worship.
Here Comes Revenge - I would say I feel cheated, but I didn't actually buy the album so at least I got that going for me. The 3 songs released earlier sound nothing like the rest of the album, which is slightly less heavy self-titled/slightly heavier (Re)Load. Far, far, far from the awesomeness of Death Magnetic. Btw. this song is painfully average.
Am I Savage? - Ugh. Got my hopes up thinking it's a ballad (although based on that title I should've known better), then it transforms into another plodding mediocre riff... <_<
Murder One - This one is about Lemmy, right? Lyrics are super cheesy but the chorus is kinda catchy. Lars is so bad. So so bad.
Spit Out The Bone - OMFG at last something heavy!!!!! :shred: 2nd best song on the album, after Moth Into Flame.
Overall: It's better than Load, Reload and St. Anger but worse than everything else. Drums are too loud again, but at least a bit more pleasant to the ear. Of the 12 songs, I would say only 2 are pure thrash, 2 are 50/50, the rest is a lost album between self-titled and Load/Reload. Big con is that there are no ballads and no song is truly epic like, say, The Day That Never Comes or Unforgiven III or Suicide & Redemption. Every song from Death Magnetic apart from My Apocalypse is better than anything from this album. I would put Moth Into Flame above My Apocalypse, but nothing else.

Big con is that there are no ballads and no song is truly epic like, say, The Day That Never Comes

This. The "epical" feeling (which was one of the things that hooked me on to Tullica in the first place) is almost completely missing here and I agree that it's one of the reasons the album's not as good as it could have been because of that. Still, I like it all the same.

Some of you are too negative imo. Lots of songs have strong chord progressions, hooks and grabbing vocal melodies. All these things were hardly present on recent releases (last twenty years). These guys have found their SONGwriting again. The rest is of inferior importance. Death Magnetic has forgettable music. However better produced, however better sound, however more metal. When the songwriting sucks, the album sucks. I do not miss a ballad on this album. I don't miss one on the debut album either.

Night Prowler, your disdain for hard rock sounds odd in my ears. Good music is good music. The lines between hard rock and metal are vague. If there's less hacking power chords, does it suddenly get the stigma hard rock (or what is it)? And therefore it is less? The content and execution is more important than form.

Last edited:
If there's one thing Hardwired has going for it it's catchiness. There's a catchy hook in almost every song.

Death Magnetic certainly doesn't have a better production or sound, but it does have a way grander amount of interesting ideas. The album is full of killer riffs.

I'd take DM over Hardwired any day of the week. I think DM would've been a 5/5 album with Hardwired's mixing.

Night Prowler, your disdain for hard rock sounds odd in my ears. Good music is good music. The lines between hard rock and metal are vague. If there's less hacking power chords, does it suddenly get the stigma hard rock (or what is it)? And therefore it is less? The content and execution is more important than form.
I don't want Metallica to play hard rock. Their style of hard rock is boring, slow and unenergetic.

I'm just not sure what you hear on this album that DM didn't do better. DM has better riffs, better vocals, better lyrics. It's way more energetic and is probably just as catchy. It also has 2 quite epic songs whereas Hardwired has none. OK, Hardwired has better production, but I never thought DM's was particularly bad.

Iryo ofc :p

Death Magnetic absolutely does not have better vocals. Are you kidding me? DM came at the tail end of James' worst period vocals wise (early & mid 2000s). His live performance went into an improving trend after DM was recorded, he's been a far more consistent live vocalist in 2010s.

I think Hardwired is his best vocal performance since Black Album. Even on the weak songs his vocals sound great.

Last edited:
Now I've got vinyl in hand I must say it sounds and looks great. I'm not sure where to rank it as I'm very fond of all their releases, but this is high. Much higher than I originally thought after the leak.
The track order on the vinyl is better than the cd; Savage 5th on disk 1 instead of Dream which is placed 2nd on disk 2 pushing ManU and Revenge down one. The second disk is livelier this way.

These guys have found their SONGwriting again. The rest is of inferior importance.

Yes.

I'm just not sure what you hear on this album that DM didn't do better. DM has better riffs, better vocals, better lyrics.

No.

Death Magnetic absolutely does not have better vocals. Are you kidding me? DM came at the tail end of James' worst period vocals wise (early & mid 2000s). His live performance went into an improving trend after DM was recorded, he's been a far more consistent live vocalist in 2010s.

I think Hardwired is his best vocal performance since Black Album. Even on the weak songs his vocals sound great.

YES.

After several listens, I can comfortably say that...

Best: Moth, Halo, Spit
Great: Atlas, Dream
Good: Now That We're Dead
Average: Hardwired, Confusion
Meh: ManUNkind, Revenge, Murder
Bad: Savage

The track order on the vinyl is better than the cd; Savage 5th on disk 1 instead of Dream which is placed 2nd on disk 2.

Interesting how the track order differs on the LP, any word from the band as to why? Am I Savage is one of my favourites off the album so to have it placed prominently on disc 1 rather than tucked away towards the backend is ideal. Such a bizarre song...the main riff reminds me of a heavy version of the music you may hear on a carousel at a carnival. The verse riff is heavy and the riff at the beginning of the instrumental section is crushing. James really belts out the chorus like he's losing his mind, check the video. The whole songs seems to be happening inside the brain of someone going mad . Or is it just me who has the madness in my brain?

Other favourite songs at this stage - Atlas, Rise!, Dream No More, Halo on Fire and Confusion. All others are growing, right now the chorus to Murder One is etched in my brain.

As Foro mentioned, this album doesn't need a ballad.

I was really disappointed with The Black Album when it was released. Hardwired would have made a much better follow up to Justice in my brain.

Last edited:
I have a theory about the track order, but it's best left unsaid.
Otherwise it could be down to lengths of songs and getting them to fit nicely on the vinyl.
Dream is 6'29'', Savage 6'30'' so nothing in it there, but side D inherits lengthy Revenge(7'17'') from side C which fits better with shorty Murder(5'45'') than Savage or any other choices in the area. Times are from the cd, idk if they're correct.

When I first heard the leak I was disappointed but playing the box set vinyl I'm loving every track. A bit of cheese here and there(Moth, Bone) but it's cracking fun.
Hard to pick favourites, but Confusion is up there. The 'sawblade' middle riff of Savage sounds positively primal.

In preparation for Hardwired I decided to revisit the whole Metallica discography. I have to confess that it was actually my first time listening to majority of their albums in their entirety. I mean I knew a lot of their stuff, obviously, as well as the band's history, but I hadn't paid close attention to the whole albums before.

Now that I listened closely, I can see why their first four records are considered so influential for metal in general. Not a big fan of Kill 'Em All but Lightning, Master and Justice deserve their classic status. So many good riffs and stuff... The Black Album is great too, I appreciate how much work went into making it (I recommend that 'Classic Albums' documentary - it's also interesting that it was during shooting of that thing when Jason told the band he's leaving, as far as I know. You can tell the atmosphere is a bit tense). Only now I noticed that, indeed, it was a huge step towards commercial music. The songs are great, though.

I guess I had known like 3 Load/Reload songs before, so these two were an unknown territory to me. I was well aware that they're divisive, so I was surprised by how much I liked them. I think they're dripping with badass riffs and original ideas. The sound is great (I like the guitar tone - full, but not overly distorted). Songs are very well written, they flow nicely (that flow was lost on St. Anger and DM). Some tracks are among my Metallica favourites, for example: Ain't My Bitch (killer track, lame title), Until It Sleeps (top 5 Metallica material for me), The Memory Remains, Fixxxer.

St. Anger is the worst, hands down... So uninspired. Besides them being burnt out, I blame their attempt to write songs on the spot... Maiden did the same on TBoS and caused many problems too (fortunately not as big). Vocals sound terrible - I don't mean the voice itself but the fact it sounds like he was figuring out how to make lines fit the music 5 minutes before recording (probably that was the case). I'm not gonna even mention the snare sound... Oh, wait, I just did. That being said, there's one good thing about this album - the title track. I love it. Definitely in my top 10 Metallica songs. Plus, St. Anger gave us Some Kind of Monster - probably the best music documentary I've ever seen.

Now, I wouldn't call Death Magnetic terrible, but I definitely don't like it. I can't put my finger on what's wrong, but there's something off-putting about it. It makes me tired. The songs are choppy - again, resulting from chaotic writing process. There are moments, though. That riff one minute into Broken, Beat & Scarred is so freaking good. I think that everything has been already said about the production on this album, so I'm not commenting on that... I'll just leave this here:

15036416_1060021780773499_617391150685462315_n.jpg

So, the new one... I have to say I liked it more than I expected. I wasn't amazed but I keep going back to it and I think it's growing. It's enjoyable and undemanding. Shame they made it a double album, because if you cut out lacklustre tracks, you'll get a solid single-CD record. Let's start with the bad ones: ManUNkind, Here Comes Revenge, Murder One... I could do without them - very forgettable. I'm on the fence about Confusion. I'd put it in the weak category but the chorus is catchy, it stuck in my head. Virtually the whole CD1 is pretty good. I probably like Now That We're Dead the least on that disc and I have some problems with Atlas, Rise! but the part starting at 4:17 redeems the song for me - super cool. Other than that these are fine songs. Dream No More and Halo On Fire are great. Back to CD2: besides the weak songs there's good Am I Savage? (great riff!) and Spit Out the Bone - clear number 1. Love this track. If they released it as a single I would be blown away and super hyped. Metallica's best metal song since their golden years. I like the album's sound - it's well produced this time. Vocals stand out to me - huge improvement in comparison to previous two records. He sounds very fresh and finally the lines aren't forced into music, but work very nice within songs.

I think it's probably a better version of Load/Reload.
I don't listen to those albums anymore, I basically don't listen to any Metallica album post Master of Puppets.
This new album, I think Spit out the Bone is decent, Moth to Flame is OK but gets tired quickly. I kinda like Halo. I really hate Am I Savage, terrible song.
The intro to Now that we are Dead is good but the rest of the song is dull. Dream no more is kinda psychedelic. But I don't think this album will last for me, a couple of weeks and then I'm probably done with it.

Back