Metallica

Moth sounds like Disposable Heroes by Green Day, complete with a nasal whiney chorus like all those US bands do nowadays.
Kirk's solo and rif underneath is my fave bit, but that's saying nowt.

What Kirk doesn't deserve is this 'the solo is garbage' crap, because actually it is fine in Moth imo (and btw: there's some apparatus wank at the end, but it works with melodic motifs too).
I've heard people complain about the wah in Metallica for a long time. The argument used to be that it isn't 'metal'. I haven't read that one yet, but the discussion comes as no surprise.

I don't dislike wah, but I think that Kirk hides behind it. He uses wah to cover up sloppy playing or unimaginative licks.

Sorry, but his solo on Moth is just pedestrian. The most interesting part about that live performance (other than James sounding awesome!) is Rob's bass under the solo section - it's great!

Been thinking about a good modern wah solo @Mosh. Well, it's not that recent, but I like Vai's solo in 'Bad Horsie' a lot.:)
This is probably shameful coming from a guitar player, but I'm only now just getting into Vai. Of course I'm familiar with his work in Zappa's band and I love his playing on the David Lee Roth albums, but I never tried out his solo stuff until a few weeks ago when I put on Passion & Warfare. I was very impressed.

Bad Horsie is cool and definitely an example of more tasteful wah playing. I think wah is pretty useful in instrumental tracks, when you're putting guitar in what would usually be the vocalist's role.

Ironically, after making that post yesterday I was listening to the new Devin Townsend album and really liked his wah solo in the song Failure. Really cool vibe and rhythm underneath. My only complaint is the climax isn't as satisfying as the buildup. Could've been constructed a bit better, but still very cool. Devin was also "discovered" by Steve Vai and you can hear the influence in his playing on the rare occasions that he solos.

Well I listened to it again and paid extra attention to the solo. I thought it was average. Could've been better, could've been worse. The Hardwired solo is far worse. I prefer Hardwired as a song overall though.

This is probably shameful coming from a guitar player, but I'm only now just getting into Vai. Of course I'm familiar with his work in Zappa's band and I love his playing on the David Lee Roth albums, but I never tried out his solo stuff until a few weeks ago when I put on Passion & Warfare. I was very impressed.

Bad Horsie is cool and definitely an example of more tasteful wah playing. I think wah is pretty useful in instrumental tracks, when you're putting guitar in what would usually be the vocalist's role.

Ironically, after making that post yesterday I was listening to the new Devin Townsend album and really liked his wah solo in the song Failure. Really cool vibe and rhythm underneath. My only complaint is the climax isn't as satisfying as the buildup. Could've been constructed a bit better, but still very cool. Devin was also "discovered" by Steve Vai and you can hear the influence in his playing on the rare occasions that he solos.

Vai is really awesome. Lots of guys can play fast and amazing, but Vai can play fast and be melodic/emotive at the same time. It never really feels like he's simply doing "scale exercises" to me (which so many of other prog/shredders are guilty of IMHO). There's a lot of expression and nuance in his playing. I can definitely hear the Vai influence in Townsend's lead work.

I didn't mind Hammett's wah use on the Black album because it sounded fairly natural...but then on Load I thought it was too much ...and then it sort of became self parody with each successive album.

Vai is really awesome. Lots of guys can play fast and amazing, but Vai can play fast and be melodic/emotive at the same time. It never really feels like he's simply doing "scale exercises" to me (which so many of other prog/shredders are guilty of IMHO). There's a lot of expression and nuance in his playing. I can definitely hear the Vai influence in Townsend's lead work.
Yep, his strongest trait is his phrasing. I think he understands music as a form of communication better than any other "shredder" at his level.

I think Satriani is an absolute master of phrasing. His ability to replay the same melody, yet add a slight variation (bend/slide/ghost note) astounds me. It's a lesson that was certainly lost on his student, Kirk Hammett.

Do you have an example of melodic? I haven't been very intrigued in this department.
Really love his solo on this Devin Townsend song. Very melodic, no shredding. Works great in the song's context too.

5:10

Thanks. Not bad. His sound/effects often feel as if they dominate his melodic content in my ears. I guess I'm more a Buckethead man. Very complete player. He has sides I'm not much into (the freaky side), but I find him unrivelled in melodic playing.

Really cool video on the making of Moth Into Flame (working title: Plow) -

Of note:
- James has all the riffs, Lars almost entirely responsible for turning this into a song.
- James records vocals while playing his guitar in the booth.
- James recorded all of the guitars, including the intro harmonies.
- Rob is a really good player.
- Kirk is literally non-existent in this band.

Back