METALLICA SURVIVOR 2016: Results - Fade to Black wins again

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, the songs are all long, they don't evolve or develop in any way and combined with the production it's really a chore to sit through. Especially as a whole album. I can actually enjoy many of the songs on their own, when I listen only to the one particular song at hand, but sitting through the entire album is really hard and actually a rather mind-numbing experience. Oh, and Lars and his dustbins. Again, on one song it's weird, but almost funny in a way. During the whole 75 min album it's just absurd.

Yea that's exactly how I feel. All Within My Hands is pretty bad, but everything else is pretty inoffensive on its own, production and drums aside. Not that there's anything on the album worth going back to besides the first two songs, and even those would be considered only OK on better albums. But I could listen to, say, Invisible Kid by itself and not want to trash my speakers.

That was actually one thing I took away from the Worst Song Ever survivor. Songs from the notoriously bad albums (St Anger, Hot Space) are mostly just mediocre and not as bad as their competition. It's 75 minutes of mediocrity with horrible production when things get really bad.

On that note, we really should have a worst albums survivor. :D

Death Magnetic is still a really strong album, despite the horrible mastering. The songs are bloated, but it's not any worse than the stuff on AJFA. I could do without most of the second half of the album, but the first half is among some of the best they've done. Never listened to the EP, will get to that later.

St. Anger songs are fun to listen to on their own for comedic value. But when you hear the entire album it's just torture.

James' vocals on Frantic (Tic-tic-tic-toc), St. Anger (Overstress on Neaaacckk and Respeaaaacktttt, and "You flush it out"), Dirty Window (Ayeeee, ayeee), Purify (The chorus) make for some funny musical inside jokes. You can easily find me randomly shouting "You flush it out!" on the street when I'm by myself sometimes.

EDIT: I only listened to the Guitar Hero mix of the album, because the original is literally mastered like a pile of garbage. Like if only Lars' snare drum from St. Anger were in charge of mastering.

Voting for:
- All the Beyond Magnetic stuff. Although Hate Train has amazing music and Rebel of Babylon has an absolutely catchy chorus part, they are still a bit ramshackle and have poor vocals.
- End of the Line (overlong and generally mediocre)
- The Day That Never Comes (clusterfuck of a composition, despite some decent parts)
- My Apocalypse (easily the worst thing here and reminiscent of SA)

Death Magnetic recently clicked with me. It's not top five, but the good songs are actually pretty good. I absolutely do not understand the insane voting that is going on right now...Judas Kiss is far and away the best song on the album yet has the most votes. Metallica fans do not make any sense.

Hey I do it when there's nobody around alright :p

:yes:

Last edited:
The spotify version of the album is the 2016 Remaster. Not sure how it compares to Guitar Hero but it's alright.

The spotify version of the album is the 2016 Remaster. Not sure how it compares to Guitar Hero but it's alright.

Well anything is better than the original production. Well except for that snare drum sound from St. Anger...

Eliminated:
The Judas Kiss
Suicide and Redemption
My Apocalypse
Hell and Back
Rebel of Babylon

Eliminated
Cyanide
The Unforgiven III
Hate Train
Just a Bullet Away

Last round before Hardwired!

Eliminated:
The End of the Line
Broken Beat and Scarred

Promoted:
That Was Just Your Life
The Day That Never Comes
All Nightmare Long

Hardwired... To Self Destruct joins the game!

Back