"Metallica should call it a day"

Shadow

Deluxe Edition
Staff member
Film critic ROGER EBERT, upon viewing the METALLICA documentary Some Kind of Monster, left feeling the band should call it quits: "If Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster has a message, it's great being a rock god up to a point, but most rock gods play the role long after it's much fun. Some people sing and tour forever (Willie Nelson, the Stones, McCartney). What Dr. Phil should probably advise Metallica is to call it a day. Why work with people you can't stand, doing work you're sick of, and that may be killing you? Lots of people have jobs like that, but Metallica has a choice." Ebert gave the flick three stars (out of four). Read the entire review [a href=\'http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-metallica30f.html\' target=\'_blank\']here[/a]

Thanks to Bravewords.com

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Jul 31 2004, 03:26 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Jul 31 2004, 03:26 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Film critic ROGER EBERT, upon viewing the METALLICA documentary Some Kind of Monster, left feeling the band should call it quits: "If Metallica: Some Kind Of Monster has a message, it's great being a rock god up to a point, but most rock gods play the role long after it's much fun. Some people sing and tour forever (Willie Nelson, the Stones, McCartney). What Dr. Phil should probably advise Metallica is to call it a day. Why work with people you can't stand, doing work you're sick of, and that may be killing you? Lots of people have jobs like that, but Metallica has a choice." Ebert gave the flick three stars (out of four). Read the entire review [a href=\'http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-metallica30f.html\' target=\'_blank\']here[/a]

Thanks to Bravewords.com [/quote]
Sadly, Metallica should have quit after the "Black Album". Althought I dont like that particular album, it was the band at its peak. They havent done anything up to that level of quality ever since.

[!--emo&:guns:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/guns[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'guns[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] Metallica needs to go back to they're old ways of making music. The St anger album was not good. [!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I really didnt like St Anger, like most of you here.

Then again, when maiden did x-factor and virtual XI people were saying maiden should call it a day and now look at them. I myself dont have anything against x-factor or virtual XI i like the both! Perhaps Metallica will do something good on their next album, only time will tell. I think St Anger still sold a lot of copies, so as long as they're making money, they will continue to produce records, be they good or not.

Metallica has not made a quality album ( or even a quality song) since the Black Album. Load, and Reload were both so crap. And although X-Factor and Virtual XI werent as good as Maiden's previous albums, they still had great songs and if nothing else, atleast preserved Maidens style in some sense. Metallica has lost their style and what bothers me most is that they dont even realize it. They should definitely call it quits and just do a couple more years of touring, playing their older stuff.

All of you people dissing Metallica saying how they should change back to their olden days, you guys don't konw SHIT about metallica, and no offence meant. St. Anger was designed to sound like that. There was no guitar solo as Bob rock and kirk and the rest of the band members agreed it wasnt the feel of the album. They wanted to make the whole album feel as raw as possible, raw, as well as agressive and it did a great job. St. anger is aggressive and heavy, not so much in the speed/thrash sense as Kill 'Em All, but it definetly is heavy. they wanted to album to sound as if it was produced in a garage where the WHOLE band played TOGETHER. Sure you'd say that Bob rock isnt part of the BAND MEMBER who filled in for the bass guitar, but he is still part of the band!

And why should they call it quits? Because they're old? Or because their music sucks now? Well their music dont suck it still kicks ass bigtime.
Even more so than maiden's. [I'm also a maiden fan although not as big as I am of a Metallica fan, and yes im aware of the irony that im posting this on a maiden forum]. When did not call it quits just because James left for rehab, it shows determination and committment to music, just as how Jason was committed to his music.

Any many of you saying post-Black album it sucks. NO IT DOESN"T SUCK. YOU SUCK FOR YOU DONT APPRECIATE AN ALTERNATIVE STYLE. Metallica actually dares to take risks and experiments. The biggest example is S&M. If you watched the documentary, they had no idea how it wold turn out to be. If it turned out shit, then it was worth giving a go, if it turned out great, thats an extra bonus. I don't see Maiden taking risks. All their music sounds exactly the same.

And for those of you who've been calling Metallica sell-outs. i see as many reasons to call Maiden a sell-out just as metallica, but since maiden is not a sell-out, neither , in any way is Metallica. Biggest comparison is that maiden has produced 3 BEST-OF ALBUMS already yet Metallica NONE. Also the live albums by maiden. Final note, Metallica does not play music for their fans, they play for themselves, which is why they should be so highly respected. And surely, sell-out is defintely not the term to use.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]NO IT DOESN"T SUCK. YOU SUCK FOR YOU DONT APPRECIATE AN ALTERNATIVE STYLE.[/quote]

You suck for pulling yourself up like that. As I said before, if you don't like people dissing Metallica, or if you can't tolerate it, you will probably be better off on a different board.

That's not even it. I've never said Metallica "sucks" for the way they changed their sound. I'll never say that. I will say I don't like the post-Black Album sound they adopted (although S&M was great). I am disappointed that they sold out, in my view, twice now.

St. Anger is their worst album from my view. I say that because it almost made my ears bleed when I listened to it. Perhaps it's not meant to be listened to at the same volume as Master of Puppets, and should be treated more as a pop album. Either way, I couldn't make it past the song St. Anger before I shut it off. If this is what Metallica wants to produce, so be it. I simply won't buy any more of their albums - if other people do all the power to them.

That fellow who posted here is an obvious "fan boy" who will love everything Metallica ever does and brandish his flame against those who don't. No sir, I don't love everything Metallica has ever done (as I don't love everything Iron Maiden has ever done), nor will I. But I have given all of their work a chance, so I can honestly say what I like and what I dislike.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]you guys don't konw SHIT about metallica, and no offence meant[/quote]

[!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Anyway, I actually think Metallica are a talented band. I personally loved the Black Album and also got into 'One'.

So why can't they use their talent? Instead of producing songs that rap bands could out-do lyrically and musically??

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The biggest example is S&M. If you watched the documentary, they had no idea how it wold turn out to be. If it turned out shit, then it was worth giving a go, if it turned out great, thats an extra bonus. I don't see Maiden taking risks. All their music sounds exactly the same.[/quote]

Again, S&M was a good concept, but its the move away from the sort of music that could have worked with S&M which really bothers me.

I wouldn't call it a risk - even if it didn't sell well, Metallica would have survived on the basis of everything they'd done before them.

Also, if you're a Maidenfan, [!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][I'm also a maiden fan although not as big as I am of a Metallica fan, and yes im aware of the irony that im posting this on a maiden forum]. [/quote] then why are you listening to Maiden if you believe they have always sounded the same? I was under the impression you were pro-experimental (Maiden have always been experimental, for example, more recently with better [IMO] use of Synth in the music).

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]And for those of you who've been calling Metallica sell-outs. i see as many reasons to call Maiden a sell-out just as metallica, but since maiden is not a sell-out, neither , in any way is Metallica.[/quote]

I would have to agree. How do you define "Sell-out"? To be honest I would prefer people to say what part of Metallica has become 'Commercially Saturated' because Sell-Out is a very vague term.

Thanks!

[!--QuoteBegin-kfretz+Aug 9 2004, 05:36 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(kfretz @ Aug 9 2004, 05:36 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Metallica has not made a quality album ( or even a quality song) since the Black Album.  Load, and Reload were both so crap.  And although X-Factor and Virtual XI werent as good as Maiden's previous albums, they still had great songs and if nothing else, atleast preserved Maidens style in some sense. Metallica has lost their style and what bothers me most is that they dont even realize it.  They should definitely call it quits and just do a couple more years of touring, playing their older stuff. [/quote]
im glad Maiden didnt quit then, becouse, now i dont have to run around in leather pants for my tribute band [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

dudes, i like both maiden and metallica equally. and to the guy above me, who said that he never got passed st. anger on the album, missed the album then. the 4 best songs are 3, 7, 8, and 11. so if you quit after 2 songs (like i did thousands of times) you cant judge the album. i personally think all of metallicas albums are great. just like i do maidens. look, wether any of us like to admit it or not, once ozzy, maiden, and metallica are done true heavy metal will be dead. that is hard to admit but i know it. i havent seen a composer with as much talent as hetfield and harris in too long. the last thing i want to see is for heavy metal to die, and we need to embrace all of the music before it is gone. so that is why i like all of those bands music. look, i dont give a fuck if your favorite band is metallica, slayer, maiden, or whatever, but the world is pissing me off and more and more people are following the rap shit each day. so instead of calling metallica sellouts or saying maiden sucks for staying the same in thier sound, we all need to unite under heavy metal and bring the world back to true music, not simple, 3 chord shit or talking into a mic, but real, complex, meaningful music.

Well Maiden aern't a experimental and they openly admit to 'sticking to thier guns'. Reason is they know what themselves and their fans like so there's no point in changing. Just AC-DC say 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

Metallica did rock but St Anger was a disappointment.

[!--QuoteBegin-metalupyerass+Aug 12 2004, 05:40 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(metalupyerass @ Aug 12 2004, 05:40 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]the [sic] 4 best songs are 3, 7, 8, and 11. so if you quit after 2 songs (like i [sic] did thousands of times) you cant [sic] judge the album.
[snapback]82560[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I shouldn't be physically revolted by the first two songs, then. Any band can make 4/11 tracks decent. It takes a true band to make an album worth listening to.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Aug 13 2004, 06:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Aug 13 2004, 06:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I shouldn't be physically revolted by the first two songs, then.  Any band can make 4/11 tracks decent.  It takes a true band to make an album worth listening to.
[snapback]82838[/snapback]​
[/quote]
i didnt say those were the onlly good songs, i said those wre the best. i like every song on that album excep purify, and when you hear some of those songs live with good snare (not a tin can), and kirk ads a solo into them they sound like the older shit.

[!--QuoteBegin-The_7th_Son+Aug 4 2004, 05:20 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Aug 4 2004, 05:20 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I really didnt like St Anger, like most of you here.

Then again, when maiden did x-factor and virtual XI people were saying maiden should call it a day and now look at them.
[snapback]81439[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] it has gone worse ... [!--emo&:duckie:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/duckie.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'duckie.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Honestly , 2003 was a terrible year for metal Pillars, DOD and St Anger are both terrible and awfully bad ... I really think they both should call it a day ... i start to think that BNW was just a bit of luck .... Except for the latter Maiden only achieved average to mediocre from 1990 to now ... [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-wanton-wonton+Aug 9 2004, 07:59 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(wanton-wonton @ Aug 9 2004, 07:59 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]All of you people dissing Metallica saying how they should change back to their olden days, you guys don't konw SHIT about metallica, and no offence meant.

(assload of further bullshit snipped)
[snapback]82279[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I don't know shit about Metallica? How do you know? When have you met me and discussed Metallica? I've been listening to Metallica since 1986, before Master Of Puppets was released. I've been going to Metallica concerts since before they were a headlining act; the first time I saw them, they were opening for Ozzy.

Some of your points might have been valid. I myself have posted before that despite the dismal failure of St. Anger, Metallica has always deserved some credit for being willing to take chances. But the way in which you state your points is obviously meant to offend and talk down to us, no matter what disclaimer you put at the front of your post. I, and most of the other posters here, will not give your opinions any credit until you learn to converse in a civilized manner.

Hello, first time here to the board and I'm too lazy to sign up, but I've been an Iron Maiden and a ( former ) Metallica fan since 1984, when I was 11 years old and my father introduced me to heavy metal. I've seen Metallica when James Hetfield still had bad Acne, and you could smell Lars from the crowd. I've been to countless Metallica gigs, Metallica with Venom, Metallica with Exodus/Anthrax, so many it's not even funny. Being a metal fan in the 80's meant you would have the chance to go to countless thrash gigs, but moving on, I do know about Metallica. I do know heavy metal. I also know Iron Maiden, and to say Iron Maiden sold out is absurd. You talk about true heavy metal, well let me tell you something boy.

Metallica are no longer true to heavy metal, their roots, or even the genre they helped create. They turned their backs on metal for the all mighty dollar, fame and fortune. If anything, Metallica did a lot more harm to metal by selling out ( Yes I said it, they did, EVEN JASON NEWSTEAD SAID THEY SOLD OUT ) then they did by pioneering the thrash scene , which turned into the nu-metal scene.

See, back in the early 80's, before You, metallica fan boy were probobly born, between songs James, Lars or even Cliff would grab the microphone and thank their influences. I cannot recall every band they used to thank, but the main bands they thanked were Motorhead, Diamond Head, Mercyful Fate, Venom, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. Their biggest infleunces, I believe. I'm sure you heard the famous quote from hetfield, when he said "If your here to see sugar coated bullshit and eye make up and fancy hair cuts, you're at the wrong fucking show" ( Too lazy to find the exact quote but you get it ) Well guess that, they waited for the 90's to do that! Let's here it for irony!

See, after they ran out of Dave Mustaine riffs and After they Cliff died and they lost his power, the quality of their material started to diminish, Bob Rock , taking advantage of them , seeing their potential for mainstream success came to them and told them to soften up their material. Long gone were the epic tracks, the time changes... in were the catchy, simplified songs with awkwardly strange lyrics such as Enter Sandman, the Black album was their portal to mainstream success. Now fanboy, you say Bob Rock is part of the band... well you do know who Bob Rock is right? He produced Bon Jovi and Motley Crue's albums, two of the biggest "False" metal bands of the 80's! Two of the biggest sugar coated record company sucking up mainstream bullshit bands of the 80's that every true metal head, INCLUDING Metallica, hated.

After the Black album experiment, Bob Rock's pupils turned into dollar bills, and he completly changed their style. COMPLETLY. Load was the biggest pile of shit, and the biggest insult to metal in the history of metal. Metallica didn't experiment with that album, they changed EVERYTHING. You Metallica fanboys defend four guys cutting off their long hair by saying Bruce did... Bruce cut his hair because he was training to be an airline pilot, and he did it at the low point of his career. Not only that, but when Metallica cut their hair... they put it up spikey. They took an alternative look, the music that was in at the time! They were trying to fit in the crowd, the Metal thrash icons jumped the band wagon!

To say Metallica is true metal is so wrong it's not even funny. It's sad, Metallica turned their backs on Metal, thrash and the bands that made them a long time ago. They DID sell out, yes I'll say it. I'll say it again, Metallica sold out and if you were old enough to realize this in 1994 you would hate them like I do. There is a huge difference between experimenting and changing your sound to target the kids of today. Iron Maiden never changed their image, logo or sound to target the top 40 listeners. Yes, Metallica is pretty much liked by everyone... at the price of their souls. In the 80's, Metallica was known as "Devil worshipping, rape your sister kill your parents shit" By the Media and none metal fans just like any other metal band was from that era. Metallica sold their souls and if you don't believe me, ask Jason Newstead. Stop listening to Lars, take your head out of your ass and wisen up boy. Metallica are the betrayers of the true, and may be liked by the majority but are hated by the true Metal fans, and Metal bands alike.

Another example of Metallicas bullshit is the Metallica Icon show. Iron Maiden would never ever accept a televised blowjob from people who are being paid to say they like them, like Arvil Lasagna and Fred Durst. Iron Maiden would never be a part of that, and the Metallica of the 80's wouldn't either. Metallica was because Metallica are a bunch of ungreatful assholes who don't respect metal, their hardcore fans and if anything, they will lead the army of the false posers to destroy true metal once and for all. Good work, Metallica.

Until then, I will listen to bands that stayed true to themselves and their fans, such as Iron Maiden, Manowar, Helloween, Fates Warning, Savatage, Angel Witch, and so many other bands that never sold out. Thankyou and stay true.

I am sorry if I seemed a bit angry in that last post, I am just sick and tired of kids coming in and telling us we don't know Metallica, when we've liked Metallica probobly before they were born.

But I'd like to add one thing on the hair Issue...

If you ever had long hair, you would know. When you grow your hair long, and it gets to a certain point, it becomes a part of you. Not only psychically, but mentally. My friend, a 6'5 250lber biker once cut his hair, and admitted he cried himself to sleep that night, and immediatly grew it back out. That is why, most guys who have long hair keep it until they die, even if they are balding. Example: Hulk Hogan, countless others not just in the music. Its not just in Metal, its in general.

Now, you have four guys who have had long hair since the early 80's. Not only that but guys who are used to banging their heads on stage with their hair in their face, twirling it around, and what not. Now, they ALL Cut their hair at EXACT same time. Hair they had for over 15 years. Something has to be up, right? If you don't agree with me you probobly never had long hair, or haven't had it for a long time.

Now, I hate to admit it, but I would cut my hair for a million dollars. Obviously, four guys who had long hair for a very long time had to have some sort of pay off... and that pay off was fame. Trust me, what, did the four boys sit around having a cup of Joe, and one came out and said " Hey , I have an idea, lets cut our hair!" Obviously, Bob Rock or their record label told them to. This is just an example of how they sold out, thankyou.

[!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Aug 14 2004, 07:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 14 2004, 07:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]  it has gone worse ...  [!--emo&:duckie:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/duckie.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'duckie.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Honestly , 2003 was a terrible year for metal Pillars, DOD and St Anger are both terrible and awfully bad ... I really think they both should call it a day ... i start to think that BNW was just a bit of luck .... Except for the latter Maiden only achieved average to mediocre from 1990 to now ...  [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]82949[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Im sorry, but i think you're talking crap there. DOD was an amazing album, perhaps one of maiden's best in some people's eyes! I loved it!

Jackal, god bless you for putting these Metallica sheep in their places. Anyone who disagrees and says that Metallica is still making good metal music is not a metal fan at all, its all mainstream just like u said.

Back