Maiden - The "best" type of rock /metal success?

I would rather make all these bands try to reach for my level of success ;) :p

Honestly, I feel Maiden's level of success is the best. They are legends but still maintain a reachable and down to earth persona. Plus them having always sticked to their own brand of style and their level of musicianship also gives them creed. I personlly feel, them going on Ed Force One during Somewhere Back In Time and Bruce's multi-talented personality is just awesome!

Possibly the same can be said about Rush but I'm not super into them or follow them that much.

Really like Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith (the later more) but their members just doesn't click as likeable as the boys from Maiden, even being highly successful or popular.

Gojira also has awesome musicians, though still comparatively a new band but when I saw Joe Duplainter being interviewed at Grammys for their album Fortitude, I felt they are really cool and may go down the line as guys from Maiden. But I'll still go for Maiden.

Motley Crue, though highly praised in their heyday and still being a well known name, went through a life style that may be luring but will be very overwhelming (atleast to me) and enough to turn one highly anxious. While I really like their 80s albums, after that they appear to be more as a brand name than a musical outfit.

Very close second for me would be Metallica. Legends in their own right yet super cool in nature, arguably the biggest name in Metal (somewhat a representative for the genre) and even outside Metal circles. I actually like their interaction with the fans and showing their gears/doing rigs etc. In this case, Maiden as a group is very reserved kind.

Rush, but only if Geddy starts calling everyone a cunt when they annoy him. :ninja:

Motley Crue is absolutely terrible nowadays and their current live performances, particularly Vince Meal's singing, is fucking embarrassing.

Maiden's success is the truest example of "follow your heart, do your own thing and the rest will come." They didn't make it to where they are on the back of successful hit singles and media coverage. They did it through sheer grit and determination. Not to say they didn't have hit singles or media coverage, but they've always been overlooked by the mainstream, yet still sell out large venues.

I think the whole "mainstream media/hit singles" thing is kind of irrelevant. How many metal bands get mainstream media coverage or have hit singles?

Does anyone have any examples of metal bands that played similar sized venues to Maiden in the 80s that had lots of mainstream media coverage and hit singles?

Enough people follow the rock/metal press and browse record shops/stream Metal playlists for Maiden to be well known I the relevant circles. If Maiden were filling stadiums all over the world every tour then I'd be more impressed. Although if Maiden were filling stadiums instead of arenas then they would probably garner more mainstream media attention.

I think the whole "mainstream media/hit singles" thing is kind of irrelevant. How many metal bands get mainstream media coverage or have hit singles?

Does anyone have any examples of metal bands that played similar sized venues to Maiden in the 80s that had lots of mainstream media coverage and hit singles?

Enough people follow the rock/metal press and browse record shops/stream Metal playlists for Maiden to be well known I the relevant circles. If Maiden were filling stadiums all over the world every tour then I'd be more impressed. Although if Maiden were filling stadiums instead of arenas then they would probably garner more mainstream media attention.
Def Leppard
Guns and Roses
Judas Priest
Poison
Motley Crue,
And by the 90s you can add Metallica to the list.

Def Leppard
Guns and Roses
Judas Priest
Poison
Motley Crue,
And by the 90s you can add Metallica to the list.
I definitely saw Leppard and GnR appear in mainstream publications but not the others. And Leppard are closer to pop rock than Metal. I'm talkin UK here but I don't recall any chart hits or coverage from those other 3 bands that was more than what Maiden got.

I'm only talkin 80s cos that's when the bands were getting established. By the early 90s Maiden were having Number 1 and 2 singles and a Number 1 album in the UK.

I stuck to the 80s and am in the United States, so I can only strictly compare United States stuff. However, in the 80s, it was oft said that if a band doesn't make it big in the States, then they're not big at all. I'm not sure how true that is, but it did seem true for Maiden, as their biggest tours in the states were their biggest tours period.

Back