Maiden old or new

Which is the better material old or new

• Old

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • New

Votes: 16 48.5%

• Total voters
Yah the old albums are awesome and for many of us have the benefit of nostalgia. But I think if say, brave, was my first maiden album? I may actually lean to selecting ""new" as the answer. I remember first spin of dance of death: fu** yah!! Moments all day!! And then AMOLAD just sulitified the bands continued brilliance.

My second favorite back to back album combo behind piece and powerslave. Side note, anyone out there prefer the blaze era to the old and new? And are those two under old or new? Hmmm..

It's like any newish fans that came on board the maiden train who weren't around when FOTD was released have read that it's a crap album and so immediately hate it.
I listened to Fear of the Dark in full before I read a single thing about it online and it was a serious WTF moment for me. Far, far different from Powerslave, Brave New World, and The Number of the Beast. Some tracks are fantastic, in my opinion, some are underrated - and some aren't great. Glad you like it, though.

I think book of souls is a typical example of how the new material is awesome in every way. Plus legacy of the beast makes a modern era of Maiden all the better.

I started listening to Maidn in 1986.

1982-1988 and 2000-present equal their best work in my opinion.

I voted new because it's been 16 years of consistent badassery since they re-formed with Adrian and Bruce for BNW.

80-81 -- some great songs and I'll defend my position that Killers isn't bad, but Bruce is way better than Paul.

89-99 is a lost decade for me with Maiden both at the time and even now listening to those albums in retrospect.
Yes, I think you've hit the mutt in the nuts here! Bruce is better than Paul but then again he is a peerless rock frontman.
I will say that when I hear a song off the first 2 albums live with Bruce and three guitars I Instantly get a boner. Which again links in with idea of the new era of Maiden being the better end of the scale.

Yah the old albums are awesome and for many of us have the benefit of nostalgia. But I think if say, brave, was my first maiden album? I may actually lean to selecting ""new" as the answer. I remember first spin of dance of death: fu** yah!! Moments all day!! And then AMOLAD just sulitified the bands continued brilliance.

My second favorite back to back album combo behind piece and powerslave. Side note, anyone out there prefer the blaze era to the old and new? And are those two under old or new? Hmmm..

Believe it or not, I actually rank TXF right below my beloved 'holy trinity' (PS/SIT/SSOASS). I love TXF...and depending on the day, it's actually my #1 record (and I say that as someone who started listening in the 80s and largely prefers the uptempo/adventurous 'comic book' stuff).

I much prefer the old stuff....I have to admit. A lot of the new stuff is great but most of it lacks a clear idea and the ability to say what needs to be said in about a 4 to 6 min song...

I much prefer the old stuff....I have to admit. A lot of the new stuff is great but most of it lacks a clear idea and the ability to say what needs to be said in about a 4 to 6 min song...

Yeah, agree wholeheartedly. I absolutely have been digging the new stuff since BNW, but the three things that hold me back from lifting the reunion era over the 80s:

- Slower pace overall
- Excessive repetition
- Kevin Shirley's 'garage style' no frills/space/reverb production

I love it all, but "The Number Of The Beast", "Piece Of Mind", Powerslave", "Live After Death" and "Somewhere I Time" are probably the albums I listen to the most.

Hmm, I would have to go old perhaps. To me, they will never top the first three albums. the production on Killers is amazing. Piece of Mind and Powerslave fucking rip as well. However, I think The Final Frontier is their best album since Powerslave. I am probably in the minority on that. I also think their other albums from the 2000's are also better than anything after Powerslave. Just my two cents.

Back