Maiden England '88 + History Part 3 coming March 25th!

I don't see them splitting it up. They could easily tie a 1990 - 1994 "History of" DVD in with a re-release of Live at Donington 1992. But they don't have any Blaze live material to tie the years 1995 - 1999 in with...So I think they'll keep it together, but who knows?
There should be material. Not that have been previously released, but there are several pro shot, TV-broadcasted shows, that could suit a DVD release, if the source material is good enough.

I would assume one DVD to cover where Maiden England left off up to the reunion. I wonder what they would do for the reunion after that, it seems a bit soon to re-release Rock in Rio or Death on the Road. Maybe finally a AMOLAD video (please please please)

There should be material. Not that have been previously released, but there are several pro shot, TV-broadcasted shows, that could suit a DVD release, if the source material is good enough.

This is what I hope will happen. Them releasing a 90s era History of DVD that has bonus footage on a second disc (like Early Days DVD)...Instead of the other way around, which the last two installments have been = re-releases of old concerts with the History of as "bonus"...

This is what I hope will happen. Them releasing a 90s era History of DVD that has bonus footage on a second disc (like Early Days DVD)...Instead of the other way around, which the last two installments have been = re-releases of old concerts with the History of as "bonus"...

I would hope for this as well. They could put Donnington and some Blaze shows (and maybe a portion or Raising Hell) as the concerts and really dig into the history part. This is really the one time frame where Maiden really struggled (both commercially and musically). That should make for a more interesting documentary than "we were on top of the world" like the last two were.

I'm afraid they'll brush over a lot of the "unpleasant" things unfortunately..but I really hope they don't
fingerscrossed.gif

Probably, but sometimes you can read between the lines. I think it does have the advantage that this all happened so long ago now and they have been back together for so long that talking about some of the unpleasantness might not be as big of a deal "now" (with now probably being 2+ years from now) that they would be more willing to talk about it than say on the BNW tour.

They might not directly say everything and I would be surprised if they did, but they might say enough to at least fill in some blanks.

All very true guys. I would love to get a first-hand insight about all these issues but I doubt they would go into too much detail. Things were said at the time that I'm sure they would want to remain as history, rather than dissected on a history documentary. We'll get something but I don't expect too much...

I'm sure there's a part of them that possibly look fondly on the new start they had on the X-Factor which is actually a great metal record. They'll probably want to talk about that. There are so many things I want to hear about from this era, for one, the reunion, how much of a class act was Bruce coming back and honoring the Blaze era material and singing some of it live? Not many high profile front men would do that. It just shows how much of a humble pro Bruce really is.

I'm sure there's a part of them that possibly look fondly on the new start they had on the X-Factor which is actually a great metal record. They'll probably want to talk about that. There are so many things I want to hear about from this era, for one, the reunion, how much of a class act was Bruce coming back and honoring the Blaze era material and singing some of it live? Not many high profile front men would do that. It just shows how much of a humble pro Bruce really is.

Not wanting to be overly cynical but I think there may have been financial / contractual obligations to play and release Blaze material afterwards. Bruce sang them well but I'm not sure he gladly wanted to...

For Blaze. Extra revenue. His compositions were released as bonus tracks recorded on the Edhuntour and they featured on Rock in Rio and Death on the Road. He will have made a bit off that. Not much, but some.

You need to do some homework before you make such allegations. There are no Blaze compositions on Rock in Rio and Death on the Road.

So a contract gave us the thrilling performance of Sign of the Cross on Rock in Rio? A contract made Maiden force to do a few other Blaze-era songs afterwards, against the will of the band?

This sounds very unlikely. Maiden were very proud of some of these songs (and the album(s) they came from).
Bruce looked really honoured to do them (I think he even has said so).

Maiden were a bigger class act than Priest, a band that acted like the Owens period didn't happen.
But then again: I'd take The X-Factor over Jugulator and -especially- Demolition, any second of the day.

For Blaze. Extra revenue. His compositions were released as bonus tracks recorded on the Edhuntour and they featured on Rock in Rio and Death on the Road. He will have made a bit off that. Not much, but some.

Possible. But if that were the case i'm sure they wouldn't have done something as bombastic as playing 2 feature length epics like Sign of the Cross and The Clansman on the BNW tour. I'm sure they probably would tried to keep it short and sweet if they were really forced to play any of the material.

What do you mean (SixesAlltheway) by "Will we finally get a real answer as to why he [Blaze] was sacked?!?!" ? Did Steve not just hear that Bruce was willing to come back & naturally, when this was all confirmed/negotiated, this involved letting Blaze go? (--or sacked, as you say.) It will all be, as you say, very interesting; but, in respect to Blaze leaving, is it really any more complicated than this?

(EDIT: Sorry for only picking up on a single point; I didn't realise everyone kept talking on to another page! :D)

What do you mean (SixesAlltheway) by "Will we finally get a real answer as to why he [Blaze] was sacked?!?!" ? Did Steve not just hear that Bruce was willing to come back & naturally, when this was all confirmed/negotiated, this involved letting Blaze go? (--or sacked, as you say.) It will all be, as you say, very interesting; but, in respect to Blaze leaving, is it really any more complicated than this?

(EDIT: Sorry for only picking up on a single point; I didn't realise everyone kept talking on to another page! :D)

As far as I know the how and why of all this have never been officially explained. I'd like to see a source if it has. Were Maiden unsatisfied with Blaze and contacted Bruce? Or Did Bruce contact Maiden because his solo stuff wasn't taking off as much as he'd planned? And how exactly did all this play out? How was Blaze let go? I think I have read somewhere that Blaze wasn't so happy about the way he was let go..But I could be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure!

I'm pretty sure it was Rod Smallwood who really got the ball rolling on that because of the success Bruce and Adrian were having and lack there of that Maiden was having. Plus Bruce was embracing that style of metal again, he and H were writing that style again so it only made sense for them to do it on a larger scale with Maiden's history and fan base behind them.

Apologies. I stand corrected over the dvd stuff. The singles were a different matter
Do you think that was coincidence? Out of all the songs to release as b-sides? I know it wasn't! As for Priest, I wouldn't know. Great guys. Met them all on that Demolition tour but I'm no fan, as such. I can appreciate that certain fans defend that period and whatever it's results were but there was so much public bad blood around that time, for me it's hard to feel anything but disappointed. The band they are again now, not just musically but their whole ethos, is fantastic.

I'm pretty sure I've seen Steve talking about this in an interview (probably posted here somewhere); describing how he had seen Bruce in the years when he wasn't in Maiden (same record label) but they'd literally said nothing (besides pleasantries) to each other. Then he heard (through intermediaries) that Bruce wanted to come back, etc, etc. Steve's definitely talked about it.

I'm pretty sure it was Rod Smallwood who really got the ball rolling on that because of the success Bruce and Adrian were having and lack there of that Maiden was having. Plus Bruce was embracing that style of metal again, he and H were writing that style again so it only made sense for them to do it on a larger scale with Maiden's history and fan base behind them.

See, this would be the stuff I'd like to see happen on the DVD, Rod Smallwood coming out and saying "I contacted Bruce and H" (if that what was happened) small things like that, that would close the chapter on certain things.

Back