Maiden bangers - these songs slap!

Randalf

Ancient Mariner
First of all, apologies.

I blame Senjutsu thread.

This is a bit far-fetched, I know. But we do have a sub-forum for setlist fantasies and all, so... maybe this isn't too much out there or whatever.
So, the idea is to take bit of a tabula rasa approach to Maiden catalogue and wonder if there are any hidden gems bangers there. Let's forget, for a moment, all the status and stigma certain records and individual songs have and wonder, if someone listened all of the Iron Maiden albums thoroughly, without any knowledge of their general ratings and heritage, are there any surprising cuts that might stand out? In other words: which songs we could assume to have (more or less) "hit potential" if they were released as singles, produced differently, released on a totally different album or - even - released by a completely different band/artist altogether! Are there any Eurovision choruses or other overlooked elements that could be, in an alternative universe, a huge crowd pleasers or receive some notable airplay?

It's not about digging the underrated stuff - we've done that quite a lot. It's more about taking a very twisted and commercial look at Maiden: a band that has never cared about being commercial, getting airplay and whatever. Actually, if someone has seen (or is familiar with the concept of) the film Yesterday (2019), you probably get the idea!

Run to the Hills and The Trooper would do it, no matter what. The 90's era might hold some surprises here. I think that somewhat cheap From Here to Eternity wouldn't pass for a AC/DC rock anthem even in some others' hands, but the punchy opening riff and quite Bon Jovi chorus of Fates Warning could've been relatively big thing if they were given a bit more sharp and sturdy production to underline it. Sun and Steel and Judas Be My Guide might have been quite passable hit singles for some another band and I think, from the more recent stuff, Tears of a Clown has a huge chorus.

Oh, and just imagine if Prowler got a Ghost treatment. :D There's a good hook in the chorus and it might flow quite well with their vocal harmonies and softer arrangement and the lyrics might, with bit of a stretch, fit for Tobias' style.

I'm not sure if this is making any sense, so feel free to... slap if this is a waste of space. :p

This thread slaps hard my friend. Really hard.
Sea Of Madness and Deja Vu! I always thought these two would work very well as a single.
Speaking of Ghost. Try to imagine Tobias´ voice on Sun And Steel!

''Death Or Glory'' could have been a hit single in the 80's.
And yes, ''Judas Be My Guide'' could have been a great single. The song is short, melodic and it has a memorable chorus.
''Back In The Village'' could have been a great speed metal song for some band or ''Iron Maiden'' for a thrash metal band. I always though that ''The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner'' has a power metal vibe to it and I think it will fit Kiske era in Helloween.
The most pop sounding song is ''Can I Play With Madness'', definitely.

Hooks In You already slaps pretty hard, but if you took the chorus and changed the words to be about nearly anything else you'd have a certified banger on your hands. I'm not tripping.

Hooks In You already slaps pretty hard, but if you took the chorus and changed the words to be about nearly anything else you'd have a certified banger on your hands. I'm not tripping.
That’s funny, I thought the lyrics were already about slapping and banging, so if you change them, wouldn’t that make it slap and bang less…?

That’s funny, I thought the lyrics were already about slapping and banging, so if you change them, wouldn’t that make it slap and bang less…?
I get why you'd think that, but No Prayer For The Dying is a stripped back album where less is more, you know?

Sup y’all. I’m here to tell you that The Fugitive and Montsegur are both some Hard Slapping songs. Add Fallen Angel to that list and you’ve got three songs that almost border on thrash metal.

Losfer Words (Big Orra) slaps.
The Parchment annihilates.
Hell on Earth elevates.

I remember in high school a guy who was sitting next to me didn't listen to metal or rock at all but loved "Back in the Village". So, I guess that song has some sort of mainstream radio potential.

Also, the movie "Yesterday" slaps.
(OK, maybe not slaps, but taps on the shoulder)

Losfer Words (Big Orra) slaps.
The Parchment annihilates.
Hell on Earth elevates.

I remember in high school a guy who was sitting next to me didn't listen to metal or rock at all but loved "Back in the Village". So, I guess that song has some sort of mainstream radio potential.

Also, the movie "Yesterday" slaps.
(OK, maybe not slaps, but taps on the shoulder)
That’s insane. That song is pretty damn impenetrable by even Maiden standards. It’s like saying “can’t stand heavy music but Strapping Young Lad is pretty good.”

A bit late to the party but I'm totally getting you bro @Randalf .

I have always felt that Flash Of The Blade should have been a radio hit already. Its a top 10 song for me! I feel like, had there been a proper solo instead of harmonization part, it could have been more well known but there are already many great songs in the album.

Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger is also a very unique song. The production could have been much better and the band should have continued with playing it live more often.

Can't get enough of The Pilgrim. The riffs, the harmonies, the everything!

Piece Of Mind is highly underrated (except The Trooper of course). Sun And Steel has a great driving rhythm and imo, has one of the best choruses by Maiden!

Back