Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Random, but I only just discovered that the Chunnel isn't a tunnel you can drive through like a regular tunnel. That's kinda lame.

I drove in some islands in the most eastern part of China. Out of 350km of route to go there, about 50km were over sea bridges, biggest being 25km*, I believe the longest bridge over sea in the world. On my way there it was super impressive. Unfortunately during my stay a typhoon reached there so I decided to leave earlier in order not to miss my Sunday long run and the subsequent rest too.

So I left from the islands yesterday early morning after my intervals in order to catch the closing of bridges** in case the typhoon got worse. Most of the drive was pretty uncomfortable with all that rain and wind but in one of the bridges it was scary as hell. The water from rain and sea was so massive that you had almost no visibility except the flashing lights of the vehicles in front. You couldn’t stop as this would be extremely dangerous with no visibility and the speed of the convoy was 70km/h. Lots of trucks in front and behind (as there’s a massive container terminal 100km south) and that was the scariest thing of all.

*in Wikipedia they mention 35km but this is because the bridge starts much before and ends much after the sea boundaries, I measured ~25k of bridge above sea with my odometer.

**I think most of the bridges I crossed are part of the “Outer Hangzhou Bay Bridge” project which has not been completed but there is some clear progress as most islands I visited you could only access via ferry a few years back.

Back from a direly needed vacation. One day I'll leave and just never return. "No place like home", my arse.

Back