Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Trump is unpredictable man. There is no guarantee that we will be easy to Putin or otherwise. And if everything is different as it is this time round; what makes you think Trump will be the same? I'm pretty sure that we are going to see a different Trump if he gets elected. For better of for worse but different.

Well I'm not American nor I'm living there, my major concern is peace. I had it with Trump, not with Biden. So it's not that far fetched.

Have you guys not yet heard about Project 2025? It’s an outline that encourages the next Republican president to essentially sieze dictatorial control over the government, and many adherents are pushing for Trump to be the one that does it. If he gets in, there’s a chance that he’ll never leave again.

Trump is unpredictable man. There is no guarantee that we will be easy to Putin or otherwise. And if everything is different as it is this time round; what makes you think Trump will be the same? I'm pretty sure that we are going to see a different Trump if he gets elected. For better of for worse but different.
What makes you think that Trump would be different this time around? He is pretty open about how he views things and he's made it clear that he'd continue right where he left off. He has a history of cozying up to dictators and he sees Putin as a friend. And that's before we start speculating, since there is quite the high likelihood that Putin has some kind of compromising material on Trump, which would explain why the latter is so willing to assist the former.

Well I'm not American nor I'm living there, my major concern is peace. I had it with Trump, not with Biden. So it's not that far fetched.
So, how exactly is it Biden's fault that Putin started a war? And are we just gonna ignore that Trump carried out far more drone strikes than Obama (who is often called a warmonger)? Or when Trump had Soleimani killed? Again, you need to start consuming news from a variety of media outlets, because whatever you are watching now is simply feeding you nonsensical (and at times outdated) talking points.

So, how exactly is it Biden's fault that Putin started a war? And are we just gonna ignore that Trump carried out far more drone strikes than Obama (who is often called a warmonger)? Or when Trump had Soleimani killed? Again, you need to start consuming news from a variety of media outlets, because whatever you are watching now is simply feeding you nonsensical (and at times outdated) talking points.
The mistake Biden made - and I'm a big Biden fan to be honest - is that he threatened Putin with only economical repercussions and that there was no threat whatsoever of supplying arms to Ukraine, or build a coalition, right before Putin went in. If the threat was a massive arms supply machine, that just might have swayed Putin. But Putin accepted the prospect of sanctions as simply the cost of an invasion and went ahead. That's what happened after Crimea, and that was essentially what Biden said would happen upon an invasion, only scaled up.

The mistake Biden made - and I'm a big Biden fan to be honest - is that he threatened Putin with only economical repercussions and that there was no threat whatsoever of supplying arms to Ukraine, or build a coalition, right before Putin went in. If the threat was a massive arms supply machine, that just might have swayed Putin. But Putin accepted the prospect of sanctions as simply the cost of an invasion and went ahead. That's what happened after Crimea, and that was essentially what Biden said would happen upon an invasion, only scaled up.
Imo there’s a lot of benefit of hindsight there. Everybody thought that Russia would steamroll Ukraine within a week or two, it wasn’t clear if sending arms over initially was going to do any good. We didn’t know the state of Russia’s military yet. It also wasn’t clear how much supplying arms would provoke Putin or be seen as an escalation to war with NATO. The strategy of slow escalation was the correct one and Biden’s steady hand is the right approach. Granted I do think the US could have been supplying weapons earlier (just not prior to the invasion itself).

I understand that my perspective here as an American is way different than the Europeans. With that being said, I have many problems with the Biden Admin but Ukraine is not one of them. Given the situation I think he has handled it as well any US president could.

Unfortunately the right wing propaganda machine and the prospective of another Trump has the potential to really fuck everything up. Make no mistake, if Trump gets elected again Ukraine is done. The new Republican house has already done a lot of work to set back the Ukrainian’s efforts.

Imo there’s a lot of benefit of hindsight there. Everybody thought that Russia would steamroll Ukraine within a week or two, it wasn’t clear if sending arms over initially was going to do any good. We didn’t know the state of Russia’s military yet. It also wasn’t clear how much supplying arms would provoke Putin or be seen as an escalation to war with NATO. The strategy of slow escalation was the correct one and Biden’s steady hand is the right approach. Granted I do think the US could have been supplying weapons earlier (just not prior to the invasion itself).

I understand that my perspective here as an American is way different than the Europeans. With that being said, I have many problems with the Biden Admin but Ukraine is not one of them. Given the situation I think he has handled it as well any US president could.

Unfortunately the right wing propaganda machine and the prospective of another Trump has the potential to really fuck everything up. Make no mistake, if Trump gets elected again Ukraine is done. The new Republican house has already done a lot of work to set back the Ukrainian’s efforts.
Oh, Biden has handled it exceptionally well from there onwards, and while hindsight is 20/20, presenting only sanctions as the cost of the invasion was a rather fundamental error on his part. Most did indeed expect Russia to beat them senseless on the march on Kiev, but again, there's nothing to gain by NOT threatning with arms supply in the event of a steadfast Ukraine defence. So why did he just say "this will cost you financially", when it was historically clear that Putin didn't care about sanctions? He could have handled it better and possibly deterred the invasion. But that's merely a possibility rather than a likelihood. In any case, this is not something Trump would have done - nothing on his record implies he would, rather the contrary. He would have given Putin a geen light and cheered him on, and I suppose that could have meant "no war", because Putin would have usurped the entire territory.

Last edited:
Again, you need to start consuming news from a variety of media outlets, because whatever you are watching now is simply feeding you nonsensical (and at times outdated) talking points.
And that’s why I’m proud to introduce you to the sponsor of today’s MaidenFans post, Ground News!

:p

You didn't even properly read my post, let alone understand what I was saying.
Per my friend, now that you are not just a mod but a doctor mod, please finally start trying to grok what the opposite side has to say before reacting.
I totally disagree with much of what @____no5 said here and elsewhere recently, but:
Jer kinda accused him of being a commie rat paid by China. You kinda accused him of being a crypto-Nazi (and you should know how insulting this is to a Greek).
Being both is not easy (although not impossible), but:
Virtually all Greeks of my age that I know (and no5 is roughly my age) are, while fiercely pro-democracy, deeply suspicious of US - and often Nato - because of the Colonels junta mostly, and the support it got when it shouldn't had.
This is one of my very few serious posts here over all the years and what I'm trying to say is let's all try to think more and judge less, ok?

Yeah, I admit I should distinguish a bit more transparently between what I think 5's sources say and what he thinks he's saying. The problem is that, here and elsewhere, I am quite familiar with the lines of arguments he's coming from and I can see right through where it originates, and I'm tired of not calling that out. Especially in a time when our democracy is under attack by the same people 5 keeps defending here.
I admit I should have been more direct in saying that I think that it's 5's sources, whatever they are, that are trying to subliminally feed us the same, age-old anti-Semitic World Jew conspiracy theory with suggestions like "the West made Lenin". I don't think 5 believes that, and I don't think he actually knows that this is the background of it all - I could and probably should have said it that way. But I also think he needs to hear it.

Jer kinda accused him of being a commie rat paid by China.
I mean, if you drew a Venn diagram of his stated opinions and CCP propaganda positions, it would look like a circle after having 2-3 beers. And he’s often completely unable to back up his points of view with evidence or solid reasoning, ignores valid counterarguments, and then comes back and says the exact same unsupported shit a few weeks or months later. And he lives in China. So, yeah.

I mean, if you drew a Venn diagram of his stated opinions and CCP propaganda positions, it would look like a circle after having 2-3 beers. And he’s often completely unable to back up his points of view with evidence or solid reasoning, ignores valid counterarguments, and then comes back and says the exact same unsupported shit a few weeks or months later. And he lives in China. So, yeah.
1706136683870.png

• Haha
Reactions: Jer
In the midst of all these speculations of Russia rearming and planning to invade the Baltics in a couple of years or in a decade, the prospect of it seems inconceivable. I remember that after military action escalated in Crimea in 2014, there was some fear and tension among Estonians about being invaded by Russia. I didn't believe it back then and I don't want to believe it now but the likelihood is apparently increasing. What I find hard to comprehend is how a country so devoted to its war machine manages not to crumble economically. In addition, the reportedly low morale, poor equipment and tactical choices of the Russian army seemingly do not deter its ambitions much. It's an enigma how the Russian warrior spirit lives on. How many of its citizens actually support the cause? Is the average Russian soldier a dirt-poor bloke deep from Siberia who reckons his life won't amount to much unless he seizes the chance to make some money and fight for his homeland? I want to say I'll proudly pick up arms if it ever comes to war in my area but the idea of it actually happening is still incomprehensible. Fuck 'em and their aggressor mentality.

Invade a NATO country? Why they would do that?

Strategically and economically, because Russia needs the Baltic ports. The main theme for the last 200 years of Russian foreign policy has been to secure a non-seasonal access to the ocean it can use on its own terms and that isn't thousands of kilometres away from its industrial centres. The Baltic ports were the closest Russia has ever had to this.

Ideologically, because Russian imperialists consider the Baltics lost provinces of the Russian Empire. Putin is a literal worshipper of Ivan Ilyin. As in, holding services at his grave. He's not  reacting, he's trying to re-establish the Russian Empire.

Tactically, because the future of NATO is in question. If Trump wins the elections in November and is inaugurated in January, it is well possible that NATO is non-functional next spring. The US would also have withdrawn any support for Ukraine by that point. What would there be to stop Putin? From launching an invasion that is. Once such an invasion has started, there would be a lot to stop it from succeeding.

Last edited:
The Russian economy is completely in shambles and requires the war machine right now, otherwise it will collapse completely. Putin is in the unfortunate position (understatement of the year lol) where he needs to start another offensive to keep the war machine going. It's a feedback loop of destruction and decay.

The last couple of years have shown that Russia is far from the strong and respectable global power that they portrayed themselves as in the last few decades. It was all just posturing and charade.

Back