Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Modern country is just the same shit over and over again with few exceptions, but old country has some great stuff on display, particularly when Johnny Cash is involved.

Actually my least favorite genre is bluegrass. It’s not that it’s bad per se, it just really doesn’t jive with me. Anytime it’s on I change the station or leave.

I interpret "can't listen to" as music that compels me to turn it off, not necessarily as music that bores me, or I find uninteresting.
  • Any music that is lo-fi to the point of causing tinnitus or hearing damage. I had great deal of difficulty listening to Ulver's Nattens Madrigal for this reason, even though I liked the actual material on it.
  • Most punk rock I've heard grinds my gears. I really don't care how "authentic" a bunch of angsty people who can't play anything other than the simplest chords and yell 3rd-grader level lyrics on top are. Though it's good when it's done right, e.g. Dead Kennedys or The Clash.
  • Most power metal I've heard. Aside from few decents bands like Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, neither of which I am a fan, I find the genre incredibly tedious and sometimes downright vomit-inducing.
  • Most avant-garde rock music I've heard constitute torture in my case, though I guess that's not a surprise given the inherent the hit-and-miss nature of the genre. There's stuff that I like from the genre.
  • Trap and mumble rap are frustrating. It's also frustrating just how successful artists of such genres have become in the last few years. The absolute worst hip-hop has to offer.
  • Most Turkish pop music annoy me to the point I can't do anything but turn it off. If it's something that I don't turn off, that means it has gone from annoying territory to "so bad it's good" territory and I enjoy it for reasons beyond artistic merit.
  • Many of the cliché simple guitar tunes for beginners, especially those that are in Turkish.
  • Whatever the style of music the neighbours downstairs blast on their speakers at night is called.
There may be more but I can't recall at the moment.

Last edited:
Yeah, I also don't like any genre with -core added. No techno/house and similar stuff either.

Idk what trap and mumble rap are. I thought I knew what trap is, but I was way off, didn't even think that was music.

Idk what trap and mumble rap are. I thought I knew what trap is, but I was way off, didn't even think that was music.

You must have come across dumb looking young rappers with tattoos on their faces and weird teeth and hair and all. Most of those guys are trap and/or mumble rap people. Mumble rap isn't really a genre, people who do "mumble rap" are usually in the trap genre - it refers to slurred rapping with omitted words and stuff. Basically, it's what happens when you can't actually flow properly but have a "persona". Think of it like a punk rock vocalist who can't actually sing.

I can't listen to two songs in a row without my blood boiling. It's often so aggressive on such a primitive level that I feel my body getting furious.
So, most people's initial reaction to heavy metal, then?

Last edited:
Did you realize that out of 9 songs on Piece of Mind, 8 of them mention an animal (either a concrete animal species, or a generic reference like animal or beast)?

Where Eagles Dare ... well, duh.
Revelations: Serpent.
Flight of Icarus: Eagle again.

Die With Your Boots On - no animals here, unless the generic mention of beast counts.
The Trooper: Horses
Still Life: None.
Quest For Fire: Dinosaurs
Sun and Steel: Only a generic reference to the protagonist as animal supreme.
To Tame A Land: Mice

With this observation in mind - there are many other Maiden songs that also mention animals in some way or the other. Where, in your opinion, is this used best? Discuss!

Did you realize that out of 9 songs on Piece of Mind, 8 of them mention an animal (either a concrete animal species, or a generic reference like animal or beast)?

Where Eagles Dare ... well, duh.
Revelations: Serpent.
Flight of Icarus: Eagle again.

Die With Your Boots On - no animals here, unless the generic mention of beast counts.
The Trooper: Horses
Still Life: None.
Quest For Fire: Dinosaurs
Sun and Steel: Only a generic reference to the protagonist as animal supreme.
To Tame A Land: Mice

With this observation in mind - there are many other Maiden songs that also mention animals in some way or the other. Where, in your opinion, is this used best? Discuss!

Powerslave has only five songs mentioning animals, but the bestiary is more divese:

Two Minutes to Midnight - goose
Flash of the Blade - dragons
Back in the Village - worm, fox, chickens
Powerslave - cat
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - albatross, sea creatures

Back