Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

A funny thing is that the German car manufacturer Audi name their main model series things like A3, A4, A6 and so on, but A1 is the smallest. An A1 paper sheet would cover a big part of the front window of an Audi A1 :D A8 paper, on the other hand - the size of a couple of stamps, whereas the A8 is a big car.

A funny thing is that the German car manufacturer Audi name their main model series things like A3, A4, A6 and so on, but A1 is the smallest. An A1 paper sheet would cover a big part of the front window of an Audi A1 :D A8 paper, on the other hand - the size of a couple of stamps.

Yeah, I recently rented an A4 .. it is one of the cars I am thinking about buying

US does not use A paper sizes. Ha! I do know my paper sizes

The U.S., Canada and Mexico use a different system of paper sizes compared to the rest of the world. The current standard sizes are unique to that continent, although due to the size of the North American market and proliferation of both software and printing hardware from the region, other parts of the world have become increasingly familiar with these sizes (though not necessarily the paper itself). The traditional North American inch-based sizes differ from those described below. "Letter", "legal", "ledger", and "tabloid" are by far the most commonly used of these for everyday activities. The origins of the exact dimensions of "letter" size paper (81⁄2 in × 11 in or 215.9 mm × 279.4 mm) are lost in tradition and not well documented. The American Forest and Paper Association argues that the dimension originates from the days of manual paper making, and that the 11 inch length of the page is about a quarter of "the average maximum stretch of an experienced vatman's arms."[9] However, this does not explain the width or aspect ratio. Outside of North America, Letter size may also be known as "American Quarto"[10] and the size is indeed almost exactly one quarter of the old Imperial (British) paper size known as Demy 4to (17½"×22½"), allowing ½" for trimming.[11]

North American paper sizes
Sizein × inmm × mmSimilar Canadian P size
Letter8.5 × 11215.9 × 279.4P4: 215 × 280
Government-Letter8.0 × 10.5203.2 × 266.7
Legal8.5 × 14215.9 × 355.6
Junior Legal8.0 × 5.0203.2 × 127
Ledger[12]17 × 11432 × 279
Tabloid11 × 17279 × 432

No, the US is one of the few countries in the world that doesn't use the A standards for paper size. And as everything that has a proper regulation, the A format originates in Germany, where it was originally introduced as a German industry norm (DIN), which is also why in Germany, a lot of people will say DIN-A.

Last time I checked, the other two countries not using those formats were Liberia and Myanmar, I think.

So how come I know what US paper sizes are too?

Anyway, the next time you're in Europe, bearfan, remember to bring some US paper for comparison. Should be something to look forward to.

Damn, I was just there about 6 weeks ago. Next time, I'll bring some samples and go into an office supply store :)

If you want, I can post you a selection of different paper sizes --& you can go right ahead & compare them in the comfort of your own home. Why go to the paper, when the paper can come to you?

If you want, I can post you a selection of different paper sizes --& you can go right ahead & compare them in the comfort of your own home. Why go to the paper, when the paper can come to you.

Hmmmm .. spend tonight listening to music and watching hockey ... or compare paper sizes. Decisions .. decisions

Back