Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

This is what a world map looks like when scaled according to population size:

Where in the world did Australia go?! A new cartogram by Redditer TeaDranks rescales the world’s countries according to population size instead of geographic area.

Reconstructing maps based on different variables can be a powerful tool for understanding the world we live in. In this case, certain regions almost disappear from the map while others expand considerably; Canada transforms into a thin, jagged line while India now takes up a massive amount of space.

Other interesting tidbits: North Korea has a larger population than Australia, with 25.1 million people compared to 23.7 million, respectively. Denmark has almost disappeared from the map compared to the mighty space it usually takes up, and China now dwarfs Russia instead of vice versa.

zQg1M2A.png

That Wiki is just written in English with a bit of Scottish dialect and pronunciation thrown in! Scottish Gaelic is a proper language in its own right.

So is real Scottish different?
Yes, Scottish Gaelic is its own language. That Wiki is literally someone writing it in English accented to sound like it's coming from someone in Inverness. Hence the hilarity.

Anyone who has ever tried to speak Scots-Gaelic knows it is not funny.

Yes, Scottish Gaelic is its own language. That Wiki is literally someone writing it in English accented to sound like it's coming from someone in Inverness. Hence the hilarity.

Oh, I think Cried posted an article from that Scottish wikipedia some time ago and I couldn't help but think that it's like "fake English". Not I know why.

Has anyone seen Scots Wikipedia? It is literally Wikipedia written in Highland Scots-English.
http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
It's fucking ridiculous.

Oh, I think Cried posted an article from that Scottish wikipedia some time ago and I couldn't help but think that it's like "fake English". Not I know why.
Yeh, I already posted a link to this a while back.

Not sure what you mean by "Highland Scots-English"? This isn't diddy Inverness talk; you're a little bit out with your geography there. People in Glasgow (which isn't in the North of Scotland; Inverness is) & the west coast speak (like loads of other places in the UK) with a heavy accent & their own bastardised words. They also use old Scots words in everyday conversation. This isn't Scottish Gaelic (obviously); but it's not just some made up "fake English" shit either. Burns spoke & wrote in the Scots language. Admittedly, the Scottish Wiki site looks to be taking the piss a bit; but the words are written to reflect the way quite a lot of people in Glasgow & the west actually speak.

2 surprises there for me, Turkey and Russia. I thought Russia was much more, closer to USA, and I thought Turkey was much less. I had no idea Turkey has as many people as Germany.
Russia and the USA used to be much closer in population. If we added all the former Soviet states together there'd be 265 million in that country.

Yeh, I already posted a link to this a while back.
Burns spoke & wrote in the Scots language. Admittedly, the Scottish Wiki site looks to be taking the piss a bit; but the words are written to reflect the way quite a lot of people in Glasgow & the west actually speak.

Scots isn't a language, it's a variety.

Back