Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janick went for TXF, VXI, No Prayer, Fear of the Dark and Iron Maiden. But it was such a controversial choice that it wasn't broadcasted. After he selected these albums, they removed most records (others could not pick them anymore) and his footage was ferociously erased. Janick was so angry that he decided to play a small amount of solos on AMOLAD (4).

Last edited:
Janick went for TXF, VXI, No Prayer, Fear of the Dark and Iron Maiden
E6bXajS.jpg

It sounded to me that he was pleased with the end result at the time, and while still enjoying the album, doesn't think it's perfect because they should've followed through with the concept.

I'm kinda in the same boat with it myself.

When it came out, he was very into it. Then he changed his mind and said, only NOTB, POM, Powerslave + LAD were, like, awesome. I think because these albums were the ones that set new standards in Heavy Metal, artistically and commercially. Tensions in the band rose after LAD; SIT obviously wasn’t Bruce’s thing, 7th son — artistic success, yes — sold less than expected in the US, then Adrian left. Maiden changed their style afterwards, they kind of went Guns ‘N Roses with No Prayer, Bruce even more so with Tattooed Millionaire...! (obviously GNR sold a lot of albums in the US and everywhere).
Steve always said that 7th son is top notch, and I think since the Maiden England tour 13/14 everybody acknowledges 7th son‘s awesomeness.

Last edited:
Bruce is a business man. Part of his opinion on past records is going to be somewhat dependent on what image he’s trying to sell as an artist. In the 90s he was trying to push this idea that Maiden lost their edge and he needed to reinvent himself. Seventh Son remains a popular album and the songs go down really well live. It makes sense that he praises it more in retrospect. It also reinforces the idea of Maiden as a progressive band, very much in line with their current image.

As far as the concept goes, I interpreted that as him not rating it highly as a concept album but still strong on its own merit. It’s entirely possible that it would’ve been bogged down in filler that only served to beef up the story. It actually shows restraint that they chose not to write anymore than what came naturally.

Talking about that interview from 2005... I think Nicko didn't pick his favourite records... Maybe he just couldn't decide, with all those "best albums they've ever made"?

Last edited:
Talking about that interview from 2005... I think Nicko didn't pick his favourite records... Maybe he just couldn't decide, with all those "best albums they've ever made"?
It will probably be harder for Nicko to pick his favorite even more now especially since 3 more "best albums they ever did" have come out since then and hopefully a 4th.

Just to chip in, I love For the Greater Good of God. It may be repetitive, but it's such a powerful piece of music - how anyone could hear the instrumental middle section without getting chills is beyond me. I think the somewhat lukewarm reaction to it so far is probably just audience unfamiliarity, Maiden haven't played the song for over ten years after all.

Never thought I'd hear anything from AMOLAD (my third favourite album) live, so I was so pleased to hear Maiden were playing one of my favourite songs from it, if they drop it I'll be devastated.

Spot on! :yes::yes::yes:

Did they play the football stadium San Siro? That place is huge, must be about 60k capacity, anyone know attendance figures?

No they played in the San Siro Ippodrome - the racecourse next to the San Siro as part of the annual "Milan Summer Festival". My daughter and her girlfriend went, she said it was a fantastic gig and the atmosphere was electric, no idea of the attendance but she reckoned it was probably around the 20,000 mark?

As far as the concept goes

Re: Bruce's opinion on the concept.

He says in his autobiography that he feels his lyrics relate to the story and Steve's don't. I think this is unfair. Steve's lyrics are (as usual) a fairly basic plot synopsis (bar infinite dreams). I'm not sure how any of Bruces fit the story at all, Moonchild, Can I Play With Madness, Evil That Men Do and Only The Good Die Young, are mystical stuff that could be literally on any Maiden album.

Either way, I think it's clear that Bruce's opinion is that even though he would have prepared the lyrical concept behind the album to be developed better, he doesn't give a fuck as the songs are strong enough that it's not a huge issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back