June: new music month!

Linkin Park isn't bad.

As for Modern Pop, I don't like Lady Gaga but their a few Katy Perry songs I don't mind  :blush:

Faint is a great song. Again, all of Meteroa is very good.

I used to listen to Hybrid Theory a lot in like, fifth grade? It's very good.

I'll have to listen to that one again, although good, I didn't really like any song on there especially.

I've been listening to a band called Nonpoint for the last couple of days.
I used to listen to some of their songs quite alot in that period of "after Green Day and Linkin Park" and before Iron Maiden. They had a couple of songs on a WWE game.

It's Nu metal, but it's actually good, so I don't mind.

I still love Hybrid Theory, its far and away my favourite Linkin Park album and definitely one of my favourites CD's of any genre when I was younger. I spent many, MANY weekends when I was younger playing Neopets listening to that CD on repeat.

I've been listening to alot of Anthrax recently, I picked up the Big 4 DVD without knowing too much about them (but being a fan of the other 3 bands) and i'm really liking it. Great band, can't wait for their new album to come out. I borrowed one of their greatest hits albums from my brother, and particularly liked the tracks A.I.R., Be All End All, Indians and Caught in a Mosh.

Going to see nu-Metal band Aiden tonight ... not overly familiar with them, but they seem to have a few decent songs (and they are playing close and cheap .. so I can beat a hasty retreat if they suck).

So, I saw Aiden, Eyes Set to Kill, and Get Scared last night.

Aiden was the best of the 3, they had some nice riffs and some variation in their music and the singer was strong,

Eyes Set to Kill was also pretty solid, they had 3 or 4 songs that were really good and 3 or 4 that were okay to crappy.    They had a female guitar player that was really good and did the "clean vocals" that sounded good.

Scared Straight had little variation from song to song, not bad, just boring after the 3rd or 4th tuns.

I easily brought the average age of the audience up by at least 5 years (a couple of older old folks were there, but mostly 15 to 23 was the age range.  It was cool to see 5 or 6 kids wearing Maiden shirts from the TFF and SBIT tours.  It was good I had my daughter with me, so it did not look like I was some creepy old guy trolling for 18 year olds.

The cool thing was my daughter got some "street cred" with her friends, saw he posting on Facebook that she was at a club show (leaving out the "with Dad" part) ... anyway .. a good time was had by all and I heard some new music that I liked some of.

Looking at the greatest vocalists poll and seeing Annie Lennox and Amy Lee in the finals prompted me to write about arguably the best female rock singer of all time:  Pat Benatar.   She's hardly "new," but she may be new to you.  Most of you are too young to remember her, or you may remember her late 80s/early 90s pop stuff (Love is a Battlefield), which wasn't so great.  No doubt that's why she wasn't even listed in the greatest vocalists poll to begin with.  But that was a mistake.  Her early 80's stuff was straight up guitar-based hard rock, pretty entertaining, and the girl had a great -- not good, but great -- voice.  Remarkable range (she was trained in opera) but could also channel a powerful roar reminiscent of Dio.  Check out "Promises in the Dark," "Hell is for Children," and "Heartbreaker."  It's too bad she didn't continue with hard rock as her career progressed, as she puts every female metal singer I've heard to shame.    

EDIT:  Here are links to make it easy.

Promises in the Dark
Hell is for Children
Heartbreaker

Cornfed Hick said:
or you may remember her late 80s/early 90s pop stuff (Love is a Battlefield),

*raises hand*

Cornfed Hick said:
which wasn't so great.

I love that song. :)
While it's contant in its tempo and mood, I find the bass line a very stimulating one.

Cornfed Hick said:

(added link to live performance of the song)
Wow, I especially dig this one of your recommendations (and what a solo section!).
The song starts tame but that second half is priceless!

Thanks cornfed!
Neil Giraldo (Pat Benatar's guitarist) and his solos!  :notworthy:

http://youtu.be/z9BB6V_Spmc

1. Promises in the Dark
2. I'm Gonna Follow You
3. Hell Is for Children
4. La Bel Age
5. I Won't
6. I Need a Lover
7. Love is a Battlefield
8. Anxiety/Get Nervous
9. Fire and Ice
10. No You Don't
11. Payin' the Cost to Be the Boss
12. Disconnected
13. Hit Me With You Best Shot
14. I Want Out
15. Precious Time
16. All Fired Up
17. River of Love
18. Ooh Ooh Song (harmonica)
19. We Live for Love (piano)
20. Heartbreaker

Forostar said:
Neil Giraldo (Pat Benatar's guitarist) and his solos!   :notworthy:
  Nice to see someone acknowledge Neil. This guy has been flying under everyone's radar for decades, yet his body of work (particularly some of the solos) is impressive.

I'm very familiar with Pat Benatar's material. I must admit, there isn't much of it that I really like but she is a very good singer.

Back