Janick Gers Survivor: Death dances to victory

Are satisfied with the results?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
DoD is overrated. Paschendale and No More Lies blow it out of the water, and I'd argue Face In The Sand and Montsegur are at least equal.

Something I wrote before:
The story telling is good, but they've done it better. The lyrics are good, but again, it's been surpassed. And the instruments are very good, but you kind of expect that from Maiden anyway. There are songs that are far more deserving of the praise this song gets, and while it's still a very good song, it doesn't warrant the amount of praise as it gets.

I don't agree, but at least you can explain your opinion well :ok:

That's pretty much my opinion when it comes to When The Wild Wind Blows.

It's pretty much my opinion on both songs, but on top of that, on The Talisman we have the most horrendous vocals ever heard on a Maiden album.
Extended edition of my opinion, click here.

I like Talisman more for its instrumental sections and riffs than the vocals to be honest. That said, songs like Weekend Warrior, Sun And Steel and Look For The Truth have much, much worse vocals. I like all three of the remaining songs, it's just that Ghost is a step above them.

I'm sad to see Talisman go, even if top 3 isn't such a bad place to be. Vocals or lyrics, or both, Foro? The lyrics are the weakest point imo, they're not the most finely crafted things out there. The vocals seem to stretch Bruce's voice, even sound tiring, but I wouldn't say they were actually poor. Points for him performing this one live, too.

For me, Talisman is about overall effect. Musically, it backs up the storyline, a speedy, relentless, slightly desperate one-way journey, meeting and kind of making it through endless potential barriers along the way. There's absolutely no room for slack, very little in the way of frills, just a slight recap, then onwards. There's something very linear about the whole song.

It's one of the things that convinces me TFF is an album from a mature band, comfortable in itself.

DoD is overrated. Paschendale and No More Lies blow it out of the water, and I'd argue Face In The Sand and Montsegur are at least equal.

There's maybe a bit of novelty factor for some in the appeal of DoD. Personally, I went through a historical music phase, and love the fact modern musicians have been inspired by it. I won't argue about Paschendale, No More Lies, Face in the Sand or Montsegur, being a very big fan of this particular album.

It seems to be a song both casual and hardcore fans absolutely adore (it's 4th on the TopTens list, behind Trooper, FOTD and Hallowed), but I can't really see what makes it THAT good. For me, it deserves the same amount of popularity as the BNW title track gets; one of the better songs on the album, but not the best.

One of the things I really like about the song is the gallop resounding throughout the song in the louder parts, which has a medieval-like theme about it (in before SMX corrects me). That aspect is very nice, but it's just a case that they've made better songs on that album that; other than maybe Paschendale, don't get nearly as much attention.

I am surprised it's that popular. I don't hear a lot of professed Maiden fans outside of here talking about DoD very much. I'm sure Paschendale had it's day on here, though, I remember it being brought up in conversation often in the past (usually tied to some sort of 'what is an epic' debate :p )

Now I want to hear SMX's take on DoD, I liken the period feel more to post-medieval 16thCentury music :D

You'd be surprised, it nearly always slips into someone's top list of Maiden songs. It would easily make my top 75, and probably my top 50, but not much more than that. That's not a gibe against the song, it's just a testament to how consistent Maiden usually are with putting out great songs.

Janick Gers Top 10:
3. The Talisman
4. Out of the Silent Planet
5. Dream of Mirrors
6. Be Quick or Be Dead
7. Lord of the Flies
8. Man on the Edge
9. The Legacy
10. Born In '58

Single vote now

Dance of Death is cool, but very few recent Maiden songs have rocked as hard as Navigator. They haven't really done anything like that song before or since.

I did a careful listen of the three prior to the last round and the Talisman should have won.

The intro is a magical piece out, like something out of a gritty fantasy novel like Game of Thrones. It's a little...off. I lack the musical terminology, but I am guessing it's in a minor key? It gets your attention, and not in the most comfortable way or obvious way. It's all fog and trepidation.
Bruce's voice here is pitched perfectly: grizzled, reluctant with an underlay of resolute that starts to come in as the chord pattern changes.
I love that little vocal switch at 1:50. It's such a strange touch that adds to that atmosphere.
You want the song to kick in a little earlier than it does, but it waits and I like that.
Because when it comes it is a maelstrom.
The riff just kicks. Bruce's voice does sound strained. I like that too. It's supposed to, he's struggling to hang on and straining to be heard over the roar of the storm.
The chord changes over "Spirit sails..." are magical, but its not your conventional chorus; it doesn't stay and it's not happy.
The real chorus comes with the "Westward..." part, which IMO is the song's weakest section. That said, it works in the sense that you get the idea the ship is actually gaining some semblance of control, before it pitches into that killer instrumental section at about the six minute mark. And that is stellar in the way it sends you splashing around lurching between different riffs, runs and solos.

The song is epic, raw, powerful, sloppy, with some odd change of directions — imperfect, but always interesting.
To me that is Janick to a T.

Bruce's voice does sound strained. I like that too. It's supposed to, he's struggling to hang on and straining to be heard over the roar of the storm.
The chord changes over "Spirit sails..." are magical, but its not your conventional chorus; it doesn't stay and it's not happy.
The real chorus comes with the "Westward..." part, which IMO is the song's weakest section.

I missed this post earlier. Yes, you've summed up Talisman a lot better than I did. That's what I mean about the song being almost linear, there isn't a conventional chorus structure, it's a journey. And I do hear Bruce's voice contending with wave after wave of noise around him.

I really don't think anything like this would have been made if it wasn't for Janick's influence in the band. I believe he's brought a lot to Maiden.

Back