I've just bought a bass :D

Real World

Maindenfans.com Founder
:yey: :yey: :yey:
BC300BKPK2x02.jpg

The black one obviously :p Tis my first real instrument so its going to be interesting to say the least

:ok:

Although, if you've never played a musical instrument before, you've kind of jumped in at the deep end, in terms of physicality.  I pity your wrists and fingertips, especially if you want to fingerpick! :lol:

I disagree, Raven. I initially tried guitar, only too find that my hands were too big to be comfortable on those tiny strings. One of the reasons I switched to bass is that it fit my body better. Once I built up my calluses, I never found it to be a physically difficult instrument. So if RW is a big guy like me, it's no big deal.

Now double bass - that's a different story. Try playing double bass, and electric bass seems like a toy by comparison.

And what's with this "if you want to fingerpick" crud? All real bassists play with their fingers. Bassists who use a pick should be shot.

So RW, here's what you do now: play until your fingers bleed. Then play some more. Then play some more again. Eventually, they stop bleeding.

Let me try that again, more seriously...

So RW, here's what you do now: play until your fingers have serious blisters. Then let those heal, which should take a few days. Repeat over and over. After a few cycles, you'll have good calluses.

Congrats! you'll find a way of playing that suits you the best. Good luck and enjoy your bass.  :ok:

Bleeding fingers. That happened quite often to me when I was still in a band.
But agree, finger picking all the way. Good thing Harris plays with his fingers.

If you're on the verge of bleeding fingers and you have to play a show, carry Super Glue with you. When your fingers are so torn up that you can't play anymore, coat them in glue and give it a few minutes to dry. That shell over your fingers will allow you to keep going.

Warning - it HURTS. At least when you first apply the glue.

In fact, this is the bass-player's equivalent of the movie "Rocky". Remember at the end, when Rocky's eyes have been hit so many time that they have swollen shut, and Rocky has Mickey cut his eyelids open with a razor? "Cut me, Mick!" It's drastic like that.

There's another option which doesn't hurt, but it's not as good. Bring a couple boxes of Band-Aids. Put three layers of Band-Aids over each finger. That will last you a song or two, then you'll need new ones as the bandages get torn up. Problem is that the Band-Aids muffle your sound.

You might be thinking, at this point why not switch to a pick? BECAUSE REAL BASS PLAYERS DON'T USE PICKS. DON'T BE A PUSSY. GLUE YOUR FUCKING FINGERS ALREADY. >:[

SinisterMinisterX said:
You might be thinking, at this point why not switch to a pick? BECAUSE REAL BASS PLAYERS DON'T USE PICKS. DON'T BE A PUSSY. GLUE YOUR FUCKING FINGERS ALREADY. >:[

Now why do I get the idea that you don't like Ian Hill of Judas Priest, mate  :p ?

People who use a pick to play bass are obviously wanna-be guitarists who have failed to fully embrace the glory that is the electric bass.

I haven't paid enough attention to Ian Hill to know if he falls into the above category. His basslines have never impressed me. Priest has great guitars, vocals and songwriting, but their bass and drums are average at best.

I would agree that Travis is the best drummer Priest has had, but I still don't find him especially impressive.

A couple of caveats:
1. Let's not hijack this thread. It's about bass, not Priest.
2. In case anyone has had trouble figuring this out, some of my comments so far have been somewhat facetious. There are a few (very few) bassists who use picks who I respect. Chris Squire from Yes comes to mind. But most bassists who use a pick play like a failed guitarist.

A genuine bass tip: don't just play metal. Learn more styles of music. Old R&B or soul music from the 1970s often has great basslines.

SinisterMinisterX said:
People who use a pick to play bass are obviously wanna-be guitarists who have failed to fully embrace the glory that is the electric bass.

Depends if you play in Slayer or not.  :p

I think using a pick is acceptable in some contexts. While bass gets its trademark tone from our fleshy playing sticks (that certainly came out odd), I reckon using a pick is acceptable if

a) You actually like the tone it produces more than the finger-tone
b) You're supposed to keep up with the tremolo picking of the guitarist.

*agrees w/SMX*

My husband has been playing bass for almost 30 years, and everything you said is true. When we first met he had just bought a Harley and started college (we met in college), and we rode the bike a lot. He rarely played, and his calluses went away.

Now he is in a new band, and practices every day, almost. But when he wanted to start looking for band again, he told me "I'm never going over a year plus without playing" cuz his fingers hurt and he had to get his calluses back.

Sadly I have only seen him play live once  :(
He was in bands in the 1990s before he lost his job and went back to school

I don't know about the super glue though. I'll have to ask him about that. He may have done that...not sure.

Back