ISIS Thread

The Flash

Dennis Wilcock did 9/11
Since there's no appropriate thread to talk about this and the event is significant enough, I decided to create a thread of its own.

Militans from Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have captured the second largest Iraqi city, Mosul, after advancing on the city for almost a week. Prime Minister of Iraq declared national state of emergency and people are quickly fleeing the city, approximately 150k people already have fled.

ISIS also captured the city of Tikrit, burnt down government buildings and released thousands of inmates from prisons (almost all of them were serving sentences under terrorism charges).

ISIS is an organization that has pledged alliance to Al-Qaeda and its main goal is to create an Islamic state in Iraq and Syria and enlarging from there to create an Islamic combined force in the Middle East. Although they're mostly active in Iraq and Syria, they have major financial resources in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/iraq-ci...is-jihadists-after-police-army-abandon-posts/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...061e87-8fcd-4ed3-bc94-0e309af0a674_story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/world/middleeast/militants-in-mosul.html?_r=0

ISIS militans also have broken into the Turkish consolate in Mosul and took 48 people as hostages.

Last edited:
This is scary. They just took Tikrit. These aren't small provincial towns, they are the country's major cities. And Mossul was thought to be safe.

It makes you wonder how many people they have on their side, where the hardware is coming from, and how Iraq plans to stop it.

I suspect Iraq has no plan to stop it.

I don't think anybody knows how many people they have on their side. They're feeding from Syria, but that will hardly be where everything originates. Iraq is completely overwhelmed. Imagine somebody suddenly conquered Montreal, Quebec and Winnipeg.

Some insight about ISIS:

They have been described as "the strongest group" in Syria by Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
They're well known to have stopped US troops from advancing Fellujah.
Many of their key people were members of the Ba'ath Party of Saddam Hussein.
They hold key places in the oil trade (such as Ar-Raqqah in north Syria).
Members are incredibly violent, I've seen videos from years ago where they were attacking the towns with Shia majority, they want complete destruction of the Shia muslims.
They're likely to have at least 10k active members but Al-Nusra Front (who have at least 25k members) aligned themselves with ISIS in 2013 and they act together.

Members are incredibly violent, I've seen videos from years ago where they were attacking the towns with Shia majority, they want complete destruction of the Shia muslims.

This brings Iran into the game, which is what we hear of now.

This is scary. Really scary.

I don't think anybody knows how many people they have on their side. They're feeding from Syria, but that will hardly be where everything originates. Iraq is completely overwhelmed. Imagine somebody suddenly conquered Montreal, Quebec and Winnipeg.

I think they would quickly return Montreal :)

But seriously ... this is a fricking mess.

... was making a general snooty French joke :)

Iran sent in 500 troops (that they acknowledge) to prop up the Iraqi govt.

Tony Blair: 'We didn't cause Iraq crisis'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27852832

The 2003 invasion of Iraq is not to blame for the violent insurgency now gripping the country, former UK prime minister Tony Blair has said.

Speaking to the BBC's Andrew Marr, he said there would still be a "major problem" in the country even without the toppling of Saddam Hussein in 2003.

He insisted the current crisis was a "regional" issue that "affects us all".

Critics have rejected the comments as "bizarre" with one accusing Mr Blair of "washing his hands of responsibility"

That discussion will always boil down to the question of whether Iraq is better off as an unstable country than a stable country ruled by Saddam. And we know Saddam brought his country to war as well, so it wasn't all rosy even for the Iraqis who were on his side.

But if Iran is brought into this conflict as well ... not good at all. In that case we can forget about anything remotely close to stability in the region for many years to come.

I sure hope Obama is planning to send troops over to stop them. If they got powerful enough, they could execute a pretty bad attack against the USA. We really need to stop that from happening.

I guess I better explain.

Travis, ISIL is a Sunni Islam movement that is attempting to create a unified Sunni state in Iraq and Syria to combat both the West and the Shia Muslims in Iran.

Do you really think US soldiers should be sent to die in Iraq again, just so this shit can start happening when they leave? Isn't that a scary endless cycle that just makes more people in Iraq hate America?

Iraq never attacked the USA. Not once. The USA attacked Iraq, for no reason other than the Bush administration wanted to.

Besides, the US's biggest terror threat is right-wing domestic terrorism. Always has been, always will be.

The reason why the US go on sending troops is not because those countries are threats to them, but they benefit from attacking those countries. The US didn't attack Iraq to "bring democracy" to them, they did it to create a puppet government which would benefit them in the oil market. They don't send troops to Syria and only support the protestors because protestors buy their weapons from the US and Israel, huge profit in the arms sale race.

Last edited:
Back