Is it possible to be a true Maiden fan without being a metal fan?

Of course it is.

I don't consider myself much of a metal fan. I rarely go to metal concerts. I like heavy metal, but i don't like stereotypical heavy metal, i don't like power metal much, i like some thrash, riffs and stuff, i can't stand death/black/doom, etc..

Are Maiden heavy metal? Sort of, but there's much more to them...
Are Maiden prog metal? Elements are there, but there's much more to them...

Basically i don't care what genre it supposedly belongs, if i like the music/song.

Zare said:
Of course it is.

I don't consider myself much of a metal fan. I rarely go to metal concerts. I like heavy metal, but i don't like stereotypical heavy metal, i don't like power metal much, i like some thrash, riffs and stuff, i can't stand death/black/doom, etc..

Are Maiden heavy metal? Sort of, but there's much more to them...
Are Maiden prog metal? Elements are there, but there's much more to them...

Basically i don't care what genre it supposedly belongs, if i like the music/song.

So you're contradicting yourself as there are incredible bands of Doom and Death metal. If you like the band for what they are, you must find incredible bands put under these labels.

Albie said:
Personally,  if you enjoy "Battery" and "One" I would recommend you explore more of Metallica.

Agreed, especially "Battery". "One" is one (no pun intended) of the few Metallica songs that almost everyone knows, together with the overplayed ones from the Black Album, but Battery is more in the vein of their other fast and furious 80s songs - like Fight Fire With Fire, Trapped Under Ice, Damage Inc., Dyers Eve and a lot of songs from Kill 'Em All.

I'd say that if one enjoys "Battery", all four albums of the 80s have a lot to offer.

The remarkable thing is that Iron Maiden is much more melodic than the other metal bands Back in the Village mentions at the bottom of his post. Which means that it's possible to like many other bands which are "in between" so to speak.

SinisterMinisterX said:
First: fonzbear fix your signature please. Make that image 100 or fewer pixels tall, or the moderators will find a new and creative way to spread despair and destruction. :bigsmile:
When I made my signature, the site automatically resized it.

I don't see the correlation. I personally do love metal, but I just consider it a coincidence that all the bands I like are grouped together. I also love Carrie Underwood, but I don't so much care for country music. Don't most people listen to what sounds good to them? I always just said I listened to metal just because it's easier to use the label (I'm really lazy). . .

Thanks for the replies guys. When I submitted this post I thought I was going to receive a torrent of abuse for eith being a N00b or for admitting I like to watch stuff like "The X Factor". I should have more faith in people's attitudes.

I intend to try some Iced Earth from your comments as I'm sure there is plenty other metal stuff out there that would appeal to me.

Foro, you commented that seeing the band only six times since 1985 is not a lot and i agree I wish I had been to see them more. i was only 13 when I got into Maiden, in not a very well to do family so I would never have been able to afford a Maiden gig or indeed be allowed to go by my parents. I moved away from the band after being disappointed when Adrian left and the resulting NPFTD being (IMO) the worst album they had done. It was until I heard that Adrian and Bruce had returned that I became a fully fledged fan again and the six shows I 've seen have all been since the BNW album. (There that's off my chest)

You didn't care for Maiden without Adrian?

*starts torrent of abuse*

You fu*98^&^R564V$& v &*7 )9+_)= stard!

Kidding ;-)

Iced Earth is a good band to try out. They have done albums with interesting tempo and rhythm changes, definitely influenced by Maiden. And the riffs are kinda trashy, so it might be a good combination.

torrent of abuse accepted.  :bigsmile:

it wasnt that i didnt care for the band anymore, it was a more a collection of the fact that Adrian (my fav member of the band), the follow up album to seventh son being weak by previous standards, and that I was an impressionable teenager being led astray, that meant I went into the Maiden-less badlands for nearly 10 years.
But hey I came back didnt I??

Back