Iron maiden Toronto March 16

This has to be the best concert of my life I don’t think anything will top it. Bruce sounded amazing better then he did the last two times I saw them. The three axe men and Steve were also on fire wow
rime of the ancient mariner
was flawless ( this is where Bruce’s voice really stuck out it was just beautiful ). The audience was in top form to and I don’t know if its just me but the guys looked real surprised (might be because the crowed was a lot weaker last year). I was also surprised when Bruce let us sing half the intro to
moonchild
. He also announced dates for western canada they’ll be going to Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina and where Bruce’s nips almost fell of last time Winnipeg. And he told the crowed that we wont have to go all the way out to Winnipeg to see them again( I’m not 100% sure but I think Bruce said see you in December or September at the end of the show). If I were to die id die a happy man right now.

P.s. I loved the Toronto shirt with Eddie wearing a team Canada jersey and the Toronto skyline  in the back.

A great show!  A huge crowd... sold right out to the rafters. I came from Ottawa for the show. This was a better crowd than usual for Toronto, really into it. And a really, really full Air Canada Centre.

Bruce announced more than Western Canada dates; he also pretty much said they will be coming back to Toronto in the summer ("But you won't have to go all the way to Winnipeg to see us again..." after announcing the Western dates and "See you again this summer" at the end of the show). No doubt there will be Quebec dates as well. I was talking to a Quebec fan who said they were going to announce a Montreal date and maybe Quebec City too. Although, Bruce didn't specify those cities in his speech he did cryptically say "And... that's all I'm going to tell you for now" after Winnipeg. In the 80's Maiden was one of the few international bands who did extensive tours in Canada right out to Moncton and Halifax. It would be great if they did such a tour this time as well.

He also said a bunch of Canadians were with them in Toronto filming for something. He said they were nice guys who bought the beer. I'm not sure what the Canadian crew was filming them for. Maybe they have locals shooting all the dates for the "one song per city" video that has been mentioned before.

Bruce said it was the last date of the tour ("well this first bit of the tour") and fitting to end in Canada where Maiden found great support before the U.S. really got into them.

Bruce went on to encourage what he called "the Mexican wave" and used his "magic finger" to direct the crowd into doing a couple of waves around the arena.

The guys sitting behind me work at the Toronto airport. They unlaoded the Iron Maiden plane when it arrived and after the show they were going back to work to load the plane. They met all the guys and were huge Maiden fans to boot. Wow. Working on the tarmac with the Iron Maiden plane would be very cool.

Lauren Harris opened and actually had people in the seats that early and an okay crowd reaction. She sure looks like her dad!

I'll post links to videos once I upload to YouTube. I didn't bother taping any of the songs but I grabbed most of Buce's speeches.

Mahlon

Lauren Harris opened and actually had people in the seats that early and an okay crowd reaction. She sure looks like her dad!

Hmmm, I love Steve but I don't think I've ever thought of him in THAT way.  :lol:

Great job in tagging the spoilers! That's hard to do while still intoxicated.

Mahloni said:
In the 80's Maiden was one of the few international bands who did extensive tours in Canada right out to Moncton and Halifax. It would be great if they did such a tour this time as well.

Yes, it fucking would.

Hey LC, I think I remember you mentioning that you have Sirius radio before right? Do you ever listen to Iceberg Radio (Channel 95). Kinda cheesy, but it's ALL Canadian Adult Alternative Music. I've heard at least one good song on it.

It was amazing.  First Maiden show, and definitely won't be my last.  I'm definitely putting in the investment for GA this summer.

Congrats on your first show GP. A hell of a one to go to as well. I'm afraid you're officially hooked now.

Bruce went on a rant after the second song: about video/audio equipment in his day and now, MTV (no surprize there), Canadian fans touring with them and bunch of other stuff I care not to recall now.  I've only to add my impression of the show as the rest has been said. 

Bruce also seemed to say, I swear, that tonight they'll play songs they have not played over 25 years.  Clearly, wrong.  He must have been confuzzled.  Either that or the fans were so loud I could not hear him properly.  The fan support was what caused him to say this, as few songs into the set, Bruce got the impression that we were cheering like it was encore already.

I'll spoil this as it may reveal general song content, plus some specific songs are listed.

Coming into the show and not knowing what they'll play used to have its advantages.  This time around nothing could be further from the truth.  I've been careful about revealing spoilers even going so far as to avoid this forum all together.  I accidently discovered that
Fear of the Dark
would be played when going on ThingFish thread.  Other than that I expected them to play
their typical two songs that just never get dropped but stick to the three albums from Powerslave to 7th Son.
  I was disappointed when this was not so, as soon as realized this when
Revelations
hit.  Don't get me wrong, this is one of my favourite songs, but how many times do I need to hear it live when there are so many I have not?  If I was prepared for such a
heavy emphasis on their best hits,
I'd enjoy them more.  But I was dying to hear
at least a couple of the following underrated songs from those albums (Stranger in a Strange Land, Caught Somewhere in Time, Flash of the Blade, Infinite Dreams, Only the Good Die Young, etc.
  Romanticism, I know.  It seems that Maiden have heard the
backlash from their last tour
and decided to play
biggest hits.
  Still, hearing
Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Powerslave and Moonchild for the first time was a great treat.
  These were the highlights.  I have to admit thought that when
The Trooper
hit I could care less that it has been played so much, I was so into it.  The riffs just rock.  I enjoyed myself, but could not help but wish for a different set.  The biggest lull I felt during their
TNOTB songs.  In actuality, I would have enjoyed Hallowed By Thy Name more if the audience was not louder than the band -- at least around me.

Out of 16 songs only 9 belonged on that set list, IMHO.

Other than this, the opener had some minor sound problems, but it quickly got fixed.  The fans were so loud, louder than the band at some points like during
Wasted Years' H intro
so that I could barely hear it.  My ears actually hurt more from fans around me than the band. 

A good concert, not great.  The previous two concerts were better, much better for the most part.  Even had I known about the set list, I wager I'd have enjoyed the previous concerts more.

Hey Gk Where were your seats I was in sec 101 row 12 right in the bowl and the crowed was louder then the band there to. There were so many lighter during
Rime
I loved it and the pyro going in to the solo was just crazy!!

Really, for my first concert I could not have hoped for a better setlist.  Hearing
NOTB, RTTH, FOTD, The Trooper, etc. was an awesome experience.
By the way Genghis, you were right he did say 25 years, I was thinking the same thing. 
And Dickinson did not say "see you next year" he said "see you this summer", meaning we're defintely getting another Ontario concert.
  You were right about the crowd being really loud during
Wasted and Hallowed
, and the Mexican wave thing was really funny.  "That was realy shitty! The finger pointeth, you waveth!"

Mahloni said:
He also said a bunch of Canadians were with them in Toronto filming for something. He said they were nice guys who bought the beer. I'm not sure what the Canadian crew was filming them for. Maybe they have locals shooting all the dates for the "one song per city" video that has been mentioned before.

The film crew that was filming was the same one that did the documentary Metal:A Headbanger's Journey, directed by Scot McFaddyn and Sam Dunn. They have been traveling along with the tour, making a documentary about the tour. They had a few things up on Blabbermouth that they were looking for Maiden fanatics to interview at ever tour stop...

Sam also has a great thrash metal band called Burn To Black. I saw them open for both Sodom and Sacrifice when both of them played in Toronto in the past few years.
I have to say something about the Toronto show that no one else seems to have mentioned: the sound mix was atrocious.

I personally have been to every Iron Maiden show in Toronto since 1988, except for the AMOLAD tour of last year, which I missed due to a health problem of my infant son, and the Toronto show on Sunday night was mixed terribly. It was the worst sounding Maiden show I have seen. I don't know if this has to do with the digital soundboard the band is apparently taking on this tour in the jet or if the soundguy was just having in tough time in the cavernous Air Canada Centre but the sound was really muddy, very little high end and didn't have enough oomph in it to cut through the (at times) deafening crowd noise. There were a few points in the show where the sound improved - at one point it almost seemed to straighten itself out, but it really  never did.

There were six of us who were there together sitting in decent seats (section 107, 5 rows up from the floor) and two of my pals are sound engineers (one live and the other is a producer that just did the latest Protest The Hero and Alexisonfire albums). Everyone agreed the sound was subpar, especially for a band as professional as Maiden is.

Don't get me wrong, Maiden is my favourite band of all time. I would never pass up an opportunity to see them and never will, but I must admit to feeling a little disappointed that while the band was on stage giving 110%  - even that goofy Jannick Gers - it was a bummer that the sound crew couldn't get things to sound as good as it definitely could have.

Good post, tho you may want to spoiler any song names there... some really don't wanna know what was played.  I don't mind it myself, but just a heads up.

I am hoping that they have the sound figured out by the time they hit Chi-town... I'm really looking forward to seeing them, and am jealous of all of you that have seen this already!!!

Powergirl81 said:
I remember us making our "dream setlists" back before the tour started. I agree w/you GK, only about half of the songs fit and others could have been picked.

This isn't my quote, but I spent 10 minutes looking for it  :p I'll be nice and spoiler it.
^^^Lovely setlist! Would be awesome on this tour!

If Bruce is talking about a 2009 tour, would it be more to the nature of CSIT and 7th Son as the epic? Because haven't you who have seen them said that Bruce said, "See you next year!" ...Or are they making a brand new studio album? Who knows...I'm just guessing. I was thinking of starting a new thread, but this is better.

That would have been the kind of set list I was hoping for.  PG, the band said nothing about next year.  To repeat what GuineaPig said, Bruce only said they'll tour western Canada in June and comeback somewhere closer to Toronto than Winnipeg, maybe even Toronto.  Time will tell.

Prisoner Of Maiden said:
Hey Gk Where were your seats I was in sec 101 row 12 right in the bowl and the crowed was louder then the band there to. There were so many lighter during
Rime
I loved it and the pyro going in to the solo was just crazy!!

I was in section 122, row 26 which is right where the stairs are.  This section is on the angle, so I think it has a better view than a couple of sections closer like 118-121 because you're already turned and don't have to crane your neck.

GuineaPig said:
Really, for my first concert I could not have hoped for a better setlist.  ... and the Mexican wave thing was really funny.  "That was realy shitty! The finger pointeth, you waveth!"

If this was my first Maiden show, I'd be happier with it, no doubt.  Everyone sucked during the Mexican wave, it was funny to watch. 

sadp666 said:
I have to say something about the Toronto show that no one else seems to have mentioned: the sound mix was atrocious.

I personally have been to every Iron Maiden show in Toronto since 1988, except for the AMOLAD tour of last year, which I missed due to a health problem of my infant son, and the Toronto show on Sunday night was mixed terribly. It was the worst sounding Maiden show I have seen. I don't know if this has to do with the digital soundboard the band is apparently taking on this tour in the jet or if the soundguy was just having in tough time in the cavernous Air Canada Centre but the sound was really muddy, very little high end and didn't have enough oomph in it to cut through the (at times) deafening crowd noise. There were a few points in the show where the sound improved - at one point it almost seemed to straighten itself out, but it really  never did.

There were six of us who were there together sitting in decent seats (section 107, 5 rows up from the floor) and two of my pals are sound engineers (one live and the other is a producer that just did the latest Protest The Hero and Alexisonfire albums). Everyone agreed the sound was subpar, especially for a band as professional as Maiden is.

Don't get me wrong, Maiden is my favourite band of all time. I would never pass up an opportunity to see them and never will, but I must admit to feeling a little disappointed that while the band was on stage giving 110%  - even that goofy Jannick Gers - it was a bummer that the sound crew couldn't get things to sound as good as it definitely could have.

You know what, I was thinking so hard if sound problems were really the case throughout the whole night.  As I mentioned in my first post, the sound problems could definitely be heard during the opener as the music was going in and out, kind of like the tuning of a mic.  I mentioned this to my brother who was next to me, but he did not seem to notice.  I swore bad sound was the case for a few more songs, but man some of those fans were so loud, I ended up not trusting my ears.  This was my second time hearing Maiden at the ACC (I've previously heard them twice at the Molson Ampitheatre which I believe is better for a live band) and during the AMOLAD Tour at the ACC they sounded so much better. 
The two mandatory songs and 2 Minutes to Midnight sounded way better then.

I'm sorry to hear about your son and missing the concert.

Hey
I am officialy the luckiest bastard alive
My schools secretarys boyfriends unncle is Maidens manager an she got me 2 free backstage passes to the Edmonton concert
UP THE IRONS

Zelvarious said:
Hey
I am officialy the luckiest bastard alive
My schools secretarys boyfriends unncle is Maidens manager an she got me 2 free backstage passes to the Edmonton concert
UP THE IRONS
As in tour manager, right? Because I don't think Rod would like to be referred to as "she".  :p

Back