Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Have you ever checked out Adrian's isolated guitar audio? It's on YouTube and it's fantastic, so many little details

Have you ever checked out Adrian's isolated guitar audio? It's on YouTube and it's fantastic, so many little details!
So many examples of "dirty playing". This tape is one of the main reasons why I don't buy all this "Adrian Smith" is the best Maiden guitarist. He even butchers Wrathchild!

Quite invasive, aren't they ?
Agree with you. It's not a thing I would have done. I'm not interested in the personal birthplaces of rockstars. I'm interested into their albums and shows. These people were too much curious about Steve Harris' personal life and that's a shame.

The way you put Adrian Smith in quotes feels as if he's some kind of imposter and that Adrian Smith doesn't actuall exist lol
Imposter no, and I don't mean to hurt his many fans. But I just don't understand all the praises. He is not a the fantastically good guitar player some hear in him, and is far away from Dave, who is lazy, and, while he has written a few great songs, he is not a great composer: too many avagerage riffs; apart from Senjutsu, his contribution on the last record are far from memorable. So, when I read some stuff about him, I'm just astonished.

Well, I've walked in front of this house myself, as I've visited The Cart and Horses, but I wouldn't have dared to take a picture, let alone to enter the front yard.

A huge information straight from the Maiden camp, it's official.

So many examples of "dirty playing". This tape is one of the main reasons why I don't buy all this "Adrian Smith" is the best Maiden guitarist. He even butchers Wrathchild!
Totally with you on that but I wonder if any player comes out super clean in an isolated feed from an energetic live show. I haven't listened to many in order to compare.

Plus, when the whole band is heard most of the dirty playing from all members is covered up and the whole sounds great. Which is the main thing, of course.

Imposter no, and I don't mean to hurt his many fans. But I just don't understand all the praises. He is not a the fantastically good guitar player some hear in him, and is far away from Dave, who is lazy, and, while he has written a few great songs, he is not a great composer: too many avagerage riffs; apart from Senjutsu, his contribution on the last record are far from memorable. So, when I read some stuff about him, I'm just astonished.
It was just the way you wrote made it seem pretty funny to me lol

As far as playing style goes Adrian is my favorite of the three. I love that his solos often sound like they were composed and written beforehand instead of just improvising them. Also the reason why I enjoy the solos in Blind Guardian a lot more than Dave or Janick's approach for example. That said, out of the three guitarists for Maiden Adrian is my least favorite song writer. Janick consistently (co-)writes some of my favorites; Dave is inconsistent where he either writes songs I love or songs I dislike with no in-between. Adrian on the other hand has (co-)written some great tunes, but stuff like Paschendale, Isle Of Avalon or Senjutsu simply don't work for me.

I agree there are a lot of mistakes that they left in, and I think that's great. It's a shame that they don't mix live stuff the same anymore (Dave left, Janick right and Adrian "center").

"The former member of Iron Maiden who has lost all contact with Bruce Dickinson: “He is a billionaire, and I am not”
A former member of Iron Maiden has revealed that he has no relationship with the singer because he "moves in different circles"

It won't be the first nor the last. We could give many examples of artists who left the band in which they played and never knew anything more about those who were once their companions. This is what has happened to a former member of Iron Maiden, who has decided to reveal that, since he left the British band, he has not had contact with good old Bruce Dickinson, even though they were good friends.

DIFFERENT CIRCLES
More than 40 years have passed and Thunderstick drummer Barry Graham Purkis still hasn't spoken to the Iron Maiden leader. This is what the artist himself commented in a recent interview with Chaoszine. In the talk, Thunderstick analyzed his relationship with those who were his colleagues in Iron Maiden in the late 70s.

The distinctive fact is found in the fact that he himself confesses not to speak with Dickinson because he “moves in different circles.” Putting special emphasis on the fact that Dickinson is a millionaire and he is not. An argument that surprises and that, precisely, clashes head-on with the speech maintained by the Maiden vocalist, who has always avoided the role of rock star.

“I don't regret Iron Maiden at all. I'm still friends with Steve Harris and Bruce. And I hope that at some point I can... I haven't seen Bruce in many years because we work in different circles today. He's a billionaire, and I'm not! So I don't regret Iron Maiden,” Thunderstick commented forcefully.

Regarding his music, the artist defined his work like this: “What I regret is that many people who see my music feel disappointed because it is not pure and simple heavy metal. It's more what I would consider power rock. It's hard rock, like you said, New Wave Of British Heavy Metal, that kind of sound."

However, his aesthetic has always produced the wrong image of his music: “I mean, with music, a lot of people think I'm... looking at it, 'Oh, a guy wearing a mask, he used to be Iron Maiden, he used to be in Samson, so it has to be heavy metal,' and they're a little surprised when they hear what I do because it's not heavy metal. It's hard and powerful rock. It still has the ability to punch people in the face, but it's not heavy metal."

We remember that Thunderstick joined Iron Maiden in 1977, leaving the band the following year. This was before he created the masked persona of himself as Thunderstick. He was asked to rejoin the band two years after they split, but he declined the offer to stay in his band at the time, Samson.

THE HUMILITY OF BRUCE DICKINSON
In a new interview with French (via Blabbermouth.net), Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson stated that he does not feel comfortable being described as “a rock star”, a term that, almost since the creation of the genre, has been associated with the most popular artists of the same.

"What is a rock star? I mean, what is that?" he asked. "Actually, it's nothing. It's just an invention of the media and social networks, whatever photo you take and if you're popular. It's really nothing. If you say 'I'm a storyteller,' that's something." .

"I don't go around with bodyguards," Bruce explains. "I don't go in a limousine. I take the subway or I walk. I don't have a car. I have a bicycle and I take the subway, in London and here in Paris, all the time."

but I wonder if any player comes out super clean in an isolated feed from an energetic live show. I haven't listened to many in order to compare.
Plus, when the whole band is heard most of the dirty playing from all members is covered up and the whole sounds great. Which is the main thing, of course.
Spot on. Live shows are (a bit) different, which is fine and normal. Maiden are one of the few bands that sound/can sound better live.
As far as playing style goes Adrian is my favorite of the three. I love that his solos often sound like they were composed and written beforehand instead of just improvising them.
For me, Adrian's solos are incomparable, they are always memorable. I don't care if a solo is technically impressive, the melody is important to me in most cases. Not to mention his songwriting style, full of catchy and memorable riffs and parts. I rate him the highest in both respects. Like Steve.
His improvisations live are also pure gold, always. Dave and Janick are different. Maiden really need him. Adrian, Steve and Bruce are the reason why Maiden always write new classic songs with every album (and this is not easy). The chemistry and the musicianship in the band is truly second to none. And these are all facts.

Last edited:
Adrian, Steve and Bruce are the reason why Maiden always write new classic songs with every album (and this is not easy). The chemistry and the musicianship in the band is truly second to none. And these are all facts.
QFT.

Totally with you on that but I wonder if any player comes out super clean in an isolated feed from an energetic live show. I haven't listened to many in order to compare.

Agreed. I haven't listened to this isolated track, but it's pointless listening to something completely isolated.

There's a clip of the isolated bass on youtube from 2 Minutes to Midnight (from Powerslave), and it sounds kind of sloppy, then there's also a clip of the drum and bass together, and it's awesome.

Some analyzes of Iron Maiden different periods (in french). :)

Back