Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Bruce Bruce is a polymath, apparently. I'd wager he compartmentalises the art and the business. I doubt he takes the stage every night simply to enhance The Brand. If he didn't love/enjoy the art then he would be out. But he's in and he operates on the stage and in the boardroom.

I see nothing wrong with that. Say for example that hes heavily involved in this brand shit, it would probably be more enjoyable for him when the merch royalty cheques come in. He can look at it and think "That's more money than last year. I did that. My ideas and acumen have increased profits for me and my comrades."

I remember reading an interview with Bruce in a German publication (I wish I had saved it) in which he was asked about the financial arrangements of the brand’s associated product. If I remember correctly, he said that if someone in the band had an idea for a product, that person would get 25% of the profits. No wonder he is much keener to promote Trooper beer than Ed-Phon3s :lol:

I remember reading an interview with Bruce in a German publication (I wish I had saved it) in which he was asked about the financial arrangements of the brand’s associated product. If I remember correctly, he said that if someone in the band had an idea for a product, that person would get 25% of the profits. No wonder he is much keener to promote Trooper beer than Ed-Phon3s :lol:
Honestly that’s wild to think about and makes me realize that other members of the band are leaving serious money on the table. 25% is insane.

Honestly that’s wild to think about and makes me realize that other members of the band are leaving serious money on the table. 25% is insane.
Dunno, what if it was Daves idea for *insert ridiculous lucrative association here* ?

I'm sure a lot of us logically assume that these ideas come from one of the Holy Trinity but who knows?

It's the music that matters of course but I'd kind of like to see a pie chart of profit from ideas from all the members. Dave could be a dark horse. Janick would have a tiny sliver and be happy with it, give his blessings to the rest of the pies. Bruce would have the majority and want more. Not for the money but for the pride, obviously. Adrian wouldn't give a fuck cos he bought 40 houses in London in 1984 and is independently rich. Steve is still trying to single handedly get good Guinness in the Bahamas and all the money in the world isn't helping.

Nice to hear Blaze thinks BNW is a really good album. A third album with him would have been curious (ofc with more songs written by him - he wrote 5 for TXF and 3 for VXI). Given the BNW songs that are leftovers from VXI (and the direction of his debut solo album), I would have liked the direction a lot and I guess it would have been similar to VXI/BNW, not with a heavier or darker tone again.

22 Sep 2023 Innersleeve Podcast
"In this episode of the Innersleeve Music Podcast, we are joined by Blaze Bayley, former Iron Maiden and Wolfsbane vocalist. We discuss his EPIC return after surviving a heart attack and quadruple bypass surgery, his long-anticipated European tour dates, his work with Iron Maiden and much more!
Joe and Cassius open the show discussing Marilyn Manson being sentenced to community service and John Paul Jones vs. Jack Bruce."

Good Q&A with Pooch from a month ago. I managed to get a question in about the drum sound on the current tour and Pooch replied that it's all down to the new BDC kit and new heads that Nicko is playing rather than anything he's doing differently at FOH.

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (2357 times)​

While even the likes of Run To The Hills, The Number Of The Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name have been left out of sets over the years, an Iron Maiden set without their namesake song seems almost unthinkable, not least because it'd deny us the definitive Bruce Dickinson 'Scream for me!' Luckily, the band seem to agree.

Interview with Blaze Bayley from RockHard Germany Vol. 436

My translation

Blaze Bayley
Fighter

At the end of March this year BLAZE BAYLEY unexpectedly suffered a heart attack in his home. We inquired
about the recovery process of the former Iron Maiden singer.

Blaze, how did your heart attack happen in the first place?
Did you feel any signs beforehand?

"I had just closed the U.K. concerts of my tour and spent some time at home. Somehow I had been feeling groggy and tired for a while. I don't know myself like this, but I put it down to the efforts on tour. I had to force myself to do a lot of things, and sometimes even singing on stage was a bit difficult for me. To improve my performance, I went to the gym. But I never thought that there was something wrong with my heart.
When I was examined in the hospital I was diagnosed with diabetes. It is not unlikely that the heart attack happend because the disease had not been diagnosed and, consequently, not treated.
In the past, I constantly ate the wrong things and did everything else wrong that could be done wrong.
It happened one Saturday afternoon, and all of a sudden I got terrible stabbing pains in my chest. But I did not lose
consciousness or anything, it was a heart attack, not heart failure. My God, I was really lucky in the end. I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if I hadn't suffered the heart attack at home, but a week later on tour, on the highway, or somewhere else, in the Eurotunnel or alone in a hotel room.
So it didn't even take 15 minutes until the emergency services were on the scene. I could also choose between four different hospitals in my area, less than ten minutes drive from my house. The medical treatment is really good. But everything takes time. They cut me open and performed a quadruple bypass.
Recently, I have started physical therapy. As a test I have already done a few easy rehearsals with Wolfbane. Fortunately, it worked, and singing is already going well again. Actually, everything is going according to plan, and I expect to be back on stage in October. I think it's great
that the fans didn't return their tickets for the March tour and not a single promoter has cancelled a gig. The entire European tour will be held in March 2024. I am so happy about these fantastic fans who support me unconditionally. Many of them bought the T-shirt for the tour
which had to be cancelled because of the heart attack.
With this they provided me a lot of support, which gave me the strength and the will to continue. I have received hundreds of cards, letters, and messages wishing me a speedy recovery. That is just crazy and an incredible motivation for me to get back on my feet as quickly as possible. I never thought in my life that I would have a heart attack."

Are you back to 100 percent now, or do you still feel tired and groggy?
"No, I'm fighting my way back. It's getting better every day. For twelve weeks I couldn't do anything. That's when all my strength was gone. I had nothing left to give and I have to regain my fitness. At the moment I'm back at 50 percent of my original capacity, I would say but: I can breathe much better now than before. I didn't know I had heart disease. So things have been in a bad way. I'm much better now than I was before the
heart attack."
What was your mental and emotional state immediately after the operation?
Were you afraid of the future?

"No, everything was okay after the surgery. But the 17 days before the operation drove me out of my mind. This uncertainty was eating away at me. I was in the hospital , but still had the surgery ahead of me. That was really a hard time. "Why am I here? What have I done wrong?
Could I have prevented all of this? Am I even going to survive?" These were the questions that crossed my mind.
And in the end, would the surgery affect my voice? No! The exact opposite has been the case.
I sing better now than I ever have before. I have never in my life been more satisfied with my singing voice."

MATTHIAS MADER

www.blazebayley.net
www.facebook.com/officialblazebayley

Attachments

• RockHardGermany_compressed.pdf
    879.7 KB · Views: 1
Interview with Blaze Bayley from RockHard Germany Vol. 436

My translation

Blaze Bayley
Fighter

At the end of March this year BLAZE BAYLEY unexpectedly suffered a heart attack in his home. We inquired
about the recovery process of the former Iron Maiden singer.

Blaze, how did your heart attack happen in the first place?
Did you feel any signs beforehand?

"I had just closed the U.K. concerts of my tour and spent some time at home. Somehow I had been feeling groggy and tired for a while. I don't know myself like this, but I put it down to the efforts on tour. I had to force myself to do a lot of things, and sometimes even singing on stage was a bit difficult for me. To improve my performance, I went to the gym. But I never thought that there was something wrong with my heart.
When I was examined in the hospital I was diagnosed with diabetes. It is not unlikely that the heart attack happend because the disease had not been diagnosed and, consequently, not treated.
In the past, I constantly ate the wrong things and did everything else wrong that could be done wrong.
It happened one Saturday afternoon, and all of a sudden I got terrible stabbing pains in my chest. But I did not lose
consciousness or anything, it was a heart attack, not heart failure. My God, I was really lucky in the end. I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if I hadn't suffered the heart attack at home, but a week later on tour, on the highway, or somewhere else, in the Eurotunnel or alone in a hotel room.
So it didn't even take 15 minutes until the emergency services were on the scene. I could also choose between four different hospitals in my area, less than ten minutes drive from my house. The medical treatment is really good. But everything takes time. They cut me open and performed a quadruple bypass.
Recently, I have started physical therapy. As a test I have already done a few easy rehearsals with Wolfbane. Fortunately, it worked, and singing is already going well again. Actually, everything is going according to plan, and I expect to be back on stage in October. I think it's great
that the fans didn't return their tickets for the March tour and not a single promoter has cancelled a gig. The entire European tour will be held in March 2024. I am so happy about these fantastic fans who support me unconditionally. Many of them bought the T-shirt for the tour
which had to be cancelled because of the heart attack.
With this they provided me a lot of support, which gave me the strength and the will to continue. I have received hundreds of cards, letters, and messages wishing me a speedy recovery. That is just crazy and an incredible motivation for me to get back on my feet as quickly as possible. I never thought in my life that I would have a heart attack."

Are you back to 100 percent now, or do you still feel tired and groggy?
"No, I'm fighting my way back. It's getting better every day. For twelve weeks I couldn't do anything. That's when all my strength was gone. I had nothing left to give and I have to regain my fitness. At the moment I'm back at 50 percent of my original capacity, I would say but: I can breathe much better now than before. I didn't know I had heart disease. So things have been in a bad way. I'm much better now than I was before the
heart attack."
What was your mental and emotional state immediately after the operation?
Were you afraid of the future?

"No, everything was okay after the surgery. But the 17 days before the operation drove me out of my mind. This uncertainty was eating away at me. I was in the hospital , but still had the surgery ahead of me. That was really a hard time. "Why am I here? What have I done wrong?
Could I have prevented all of this? Am I even going to survive?" These were the questions that crossed my mind.
And in the end, would the surgery affect my voice? No! The exact opposite has been the case.
I sing better now than I ever have before. I have never in my life been more satisfied with my singing voice."

MATTHIAS MADER

www.blazebayley.net
www.facebook.com/officialblazebayley
Thank you very much for your translation and share it with us!

Back