Iron Maiden lyrics tournament final: Empire of the Clouds rises above all

Pick the song with the best lyrics from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah, that makes sense. I don't personally take that part as having much to do with the general body of the song, not in the context of Maiden performing it, at least. It's more an aside or a bit of performance that's attached to the song. In the context of a solo Bruce concept album, it would be an important part of the plot.

If I remember well, wasn't it Steve who urged him to make him emphasize the soul as much as he could? Perhaps Bruce himself could even have done without the outro? Hmm, not sure how to find this back, if ever was something mentioned in this vein.

Don't care about the outro. IESF is once again a solid lyric but just a notch below some of the others. Seems like there's a greater concept in there but it hasn't been explored fully. Makes sense if it's true that this is part of a concept album.

I can't remember reading that about Steve, but it would certainly be in his interest to emphasise the word 'soul' if that was already the planned as the name of the album. To me it feels like the intro was always intended to be there. It reminds me a little of the beginning of Moonchild, another intro/buildup I'm a fan of.

If I remember well, wasn't it Steve who urged him to make him emphasize the soul as much as he could? Perhaps Bruce himself could even have done without the outro? Hmm, not sure how to find this back, if ever was something mentioned in this vein.

I definitely remember reading (or seeing?) Steve talk about this. Bruce wanted to cut it because he said it was part of a larger thing he had planned and didn't fit on the Maiden record, but Steve said, "Nah, mate, you're talking about Souls and stuff and we've picked the title of the album, so let's keep it!" Don't remember where this came from, though.

I remember seeing that too.

I don't have any problems with the Necropolis bit.

If Eternity has failed, the Dream of Mirrors is over.
Time for the final vote of this round to eliminate two songs and seed the round of 32.

3 votes for El Dorado ?!?

That's a cheeky take on a serious political subject with super catchy lines. Definitely should be a contender.

For the record, I still think El Dorado is among the better Maiden lyrics overall.

The competition is just too strong here.

Back