1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Maiden lyrics tournament final: Empire of the Clouds rises above all

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by mckindog, Aug 31, 2016.

?

Pick the song with the best lyrics from each pair

Poll closed Mar 26, 2017.
  1. Starblind

47.1%
  2. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Empire of the Clouds

52.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Paschendale is the obvious choice.

Went with Boots in the second matchup. I love the quirkiness of the lyrics on that one.

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

There are so many memorable lines in Paschendale. Blood is falling like rain is another good one.

RTC likes this.
  3. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Paschendale and For The Greater Good move on.

Next up:

BOOK OF SOULS

versus

AFRAID TO SHOOT STRANGERS

4. mckindog

And

INFINITE DREAMS

versus

BRIGHTER THAN A THOUSAND SUNS

5. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

ATSS is well written, but Book of Souls is huge and grandiose, so I'll vote for that. I can't decide as yet on the second pair. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns is another thoughtful and finely crafted one, but then Infinite Dreams is one of the better train of thought storytelling ones. I'll be back.

6. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

As for the second pair, neither song is perfect lyrically. They both have very good lines and imagery, but Thousand Suns is far more vivid, stark, and attention-grabbing. Both songs have some real clunker lines and poor (probably Steve) phrasing, but I prefer Thousand Suns.

7. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Book of Souls for the first pair. It's not my favourite and sometimes it throws way too much words in it, but ATSS goes way too far in the oposite direction, having all lyrics in the solemn prologue and then only repetition. Still love it, though.

BTATS for the second one. It was a really easy choice, "E equals MC squared - you can relate" notwithstanding.

8. Lampwick 43

Lampwick 43 Waiting in line at the ending of time

All four are very strong contenders. The first battle is essentially a tossup, but I'll give the slightest edge to ATSS.

In the second match I'm going with Infinite Dreams. Thousands Suns is great, but Infinite Dreams has a certain catchiness to it that can't be matched.

9. RTC

RTC Libera et impera!

Brighter and Infinite are both great, but I think Infinite just squeaks it with its intricacies. Brighter is a bit too barebones at times, which I usually like, but in terms of progression, it doesn't quite gel as well.

10. mckindog

Nice tight matches. As they should be. Four good lyrics.

11. Brigantium

Went for Book of Souls and BTATS.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  12. mckindog

Souls and Suns in two of the closest votes so far

Next up:

Two Minutes to Midnight

versus

Man of Sorrows

The Evil That Men Do

versus

Rime of the Ancient Mariner

13. MrKnickerbocker

Easy choices here.

Man of Sorrows has some great lines, message, and the tone is spot on in the words. I think 2 Minutes has some great lines, but it falls victim to Bruce's confusing-for-the-sake-of-art/weird type stuff. Same goes for the second pair: I think Evil That Men Do has some brilliantly constructed, evocative lines - but Rime wins for scope and storytelling, despite a couple awkwardly-jammed-into-the-melody-Steve-style lines.

14. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Man of Sorrows in a no-brainer.
    In the second pair, I love both songs but I voted for Evil because the lyrics are flawless. Rime is the better song, overall, but the lyrics are

15. mckindog

I might end up voting for Man of Sorrows too, it's awesome.
    But I did not expect it to be running away with this. Two Minutes is edgy, angry and still spot on 30 years later.

16. mckindog

Man of Sorrows and Rime advance in close votes.

Up next:

The Trooper

versus

The Alchemist

and

Ghost of the Navigator

versus

Coming Home

17. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Didn't get to vote. How on earth did 23:58 get eliminated?

desultory and frus like this.
  18. MrKnickerbocker

Trooper and Ghost of The Navigator, though I enjoy the lyrics of both competitors (especially the simplicity and emotional depth of Coming Home).

19. Brigantium

Alchemist and Navigator. I'm still expecting Bruce to boast at one of his business talks of getting aviation references into a Maiden song.

soundwave likes this.
  20. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

Coming Home is one of the better 'non-escapist' tunes from Maiden IMHO, but GOTN is just too good.