IRON MAIDEN ALBUM RANKING: TOP THREE REVEALED

Empire... well, flipping my opinion on Empire was probably the moment when I stopped loving the album, especially since it takes so much of the runtime.
I don’t dislike Empire by any means but I definitely think that as the song has aged and some of the mystique has worn off, some of those flaws really stick out more. The biggest problem for me is definitely the one finger pre school piano melodies and the cheap string synths. They really did the song a disservice by not getting a real orchestra and rearranging the piano part/taking it out entirely. The whole thing sounds more like a demo and it would be nice to hear Bruce clean it up for a live solo performance in the future (not playing it with Maiden was a good call). I hardly listen to it these days.

Ultimately I kinda consider it a bonus track. Without the song you still have ten tracks and still the longest Maiden album (until Senjutsu). So it’s not like the song being there brings the album down, but it also doesn’t really pull the album into a higher tier for me even though it did feel like it elevated the album at the time.

and it would be nice to hear Bruce clean it up for a live solo performance in the future (not playing it with Maiden was a good call).

Ultimately I kinda consider it a bonus track.
I want to hear at least one live performance of this song, and as much as I would like Bruce to do it with his solo band, I prefer a Maiden live version with the backdrop and the theatrics. The song needs Maiden's magic, both studio and live.
And Bruce's version live won't be shorter or skipping any parts, that's for sure.

Maybe it won't have the same impact, but I think the piano parts could be replaced by guitars. 18 minutes is too long for live shows, but a studio live performance by Maiden (like the one for BTATS in 2006) would be great and enough. They should have done this for the 2016 single of the song.

Empire is a special bonus not only for the album but also for the fans.

I consider BoS weakest reunion album, and I know it is in my lower bowl of their discography (went to check where I put it: it was 12th).

I don't know what it is that didn't hit me at first. And that feeling of disappointment is still present, even 8 years after its release. It may be that I had much higher expectations. I listened to CD1 for weeks and I found it OK, and I've read everywhere that CD2 was way better. It wasn't. Now, I'd say it's much much worse. There are highs on this album that I like, but the lows are so low (or maybe I consider them low because of my expectations) that it drags the whole song down and the album with it. Just so you know what I talk about, I'll do it song by song:

If Eternity Should Fail starts with a great intro, so-so verse and just when I thought we're getting some melodic chorus (I'd be fine with something repetitive) it just halts the whole song. Also, after the solo, there's a brief interlude where I thought things would get interesting, but it's immediately cut, and the chorus comes again. And that outro is so out of place. I found it misleading to put a narration at the end of the opening song of the album and then never mentioning it again.

Speed of Light even starts wrong: the scream, the cowbell, the generic riff with no meat on it - everything's off. Bruce blurts those verses without any melodic hook to them, and chorus isn't any better. Shame, because when they released that snippet before the album came out (instrumental bridge to chorus) it had a Somewhere in Time sort of feel to me.

The Great Unknown is plodding, at best, same as Shadows of the Valley and to this day I can't remember how Man of Sorrows go. I think people don't use the term "filler" around these songs because they all run over 6-minute mark, but if any reunion song needs to get that label - it's these three. I quite like When The River Runs Deep, the shift change between verse and chorus (or are those both considered as a single chorus?) and it makes me wonder why people call a 5-minute energetic song a filler, instead of the three mentioned before.

The first time listening to The Red and the Black was a weird experience. I remember that a minute has passed, the song already got me invested, but I'm looking at the booklet and all those several pages of lyrics thinking: "How are they going to pull this one?" They didn't. I literally flinched when Bruce started. Too fast, too high, too repetitive. If it weren't for those whoa-whoa parts, I don't think I'd ever get back to this song. I'd really have to be invested to get to that 5-minute part where the song actually gets interesting. And even that is only 2 minutes out of 13, and it gets that obligatory out-of-nowhere Harris break to have a few solos. When that interesting parts got back, even it becomes a bit plodding and wanders off. There's no point in commenting that this song should be edited (which a lot of people here commented this song needed) because only then would this be a complete mess.

Books of Souls is fine, I guess. The bridge to chorus has the best guitar lick on the album, intro is OK-ish, chorus is bland again. The best part is actually when the song picks up speed, but even to this day I can not but hear Montsegur there. Even that part at 7:15 - that's Montsegur right there! I like Montsegur, so it's not like it's a bad thing, but the build up kept going on and on and when I expected payoff I got something that I already heard. "Cheated" might not be the right term to describe what I'm feeling, but that's the one I'll use until I find a better.

Death or Glory and Tears of a Clown would be good songs if they weren't by Iron Maiden. The first one sounds like some Portuguese band trying to recreate Iron Maiden hit single from the 80s but somehow in the process made it campy (bananas indeed). For the second one, someone on this board used a term "Dad-rock" and since then I can't un-hear it. I can imagine any of these two songs being played on some mainstream rock radio who is claiming to be "wild and out there" but then has "Sweet Child o'Mine" a dozen times a day on rotation. I already spoke what bugs me about Empire of the Clouds, and I'm not repeating it, I wrote enough stuff here to be hated as it is.

Worst thing is - I really tried to like this album (and I gave numerous tries to certain songs, hoping they would click). I guess it came at the wrong time in my life. I was at a shitty place and needed some lift-up and what can better lift your mood than a new Maiden album. Instead, I got more of existential crisis and afterlife questioning. But not the cool and epic kind, like Powerslave, something that Netflix would buy. No, this was more like visiting your grandpa, hoping for a free lunch and maybe some pocket money. But he reminisced about people who were long gone even before you were born with such sorrow in his voice that you left feeling guilty why you haven't visited him more often. Sad affair.

Even seeing it live in 2017 didn't help me raise my opinion on it. And I got to admit that I was really glad when the tour ended, and they announced something new after that Wacken stream. Obviously, I don't hear what most of the people here who rank it highly hear. And that's fine, I'm glad you enjoy it.
I'm also glad this wasn't their last album.

I listened to CD1 for weeks and I found it OK, and I've read everywhere that CD2 was way better.
I try not to compare the two discs for The Book of Souls or Senjutsu that much because it really doesn't feel like they were made with a double album format in mind, they just came out that way. With that being said, the album is seriously frontloaded and Disc 1 is leagues better than Disc 2 for my tastes. You could swap When the River Runs Deep with Tears of the Clown, throw Empire at the end, and have a pretty high ranking Maiden album.

I rarely listed to Disc 2 of TBOS, when I do it is mostly to hear Shadows of the Valley.
However for me Senjutsu is the opposite, I listen to Disc 2 far more often.

The bizarre River overhating I've been seeing on the forum ever since the album came out is one of the more baffling things I've encountered here, to be honest.
It's very simple, When the River Runs Deep is definitely a filler song.

Speed of Light even starts wrong: the scream, the cowbell, the generic riff with no meat on it - everything's off. Bruce blurts those verses without any melodic hook to them, and chorus isn't any better. Shame, because when they released that snippet before the album came out (instrumental bridge to chorus) it had a Somewhere in Time sort of feel to me.
My experience with the album is quite different from yours but I can definitely agree and relate to this.

predator-handshake.gif

Both of those songs are awesome.

River is actually an okay song, if you completely eliminate the intro (which is horrendous thanks to Bruce).
This is correct.
It's very simple, When the River Runs Deep is definitely a filler song.
This is incorrect. :D

I try not to compare the two discs for The Book of Souls or Senjutsu that much because it really doesn't feel like they were made with a double album format in mind, they just came out that way.
True that.
and maybe even the title track.
You can't cut the title track from the album, for which it is one of the most important songs.
The bizarre River overhating I've been seeing on the forum ever since the album came out is one of the more baffling things I've encountered here, to be honest.
Yep. The only ''weaker'' part is the chorus imo.
SIT feel indeed. I think Speed Of Light with its riffs was kind of a prototype for Adrian to write Writing On The Wall. I think the chorus and the pre-chorus of the song are with melodic vocals.
Also, after the solo, there's a brief interlude where I thought things would get interesting, but it's immediately cut, and the chorus comes again.
I really don't know why the song doesn't have at least 1 proper solo. Maybe Bruce's original version is also without a solo (like some songs in TOS). That will be curious to hear.

I try not to compare the two discs for The Book of Souls or Senjutsu that much because it really doesn't feel like they were made with a double album format in mind, they just came out that way.
It's not fair, I realize. But at the announcement, that huge chunk of new material looked overwhelming, that's why I decided on separate CD approach, to savor the moment and spent more time on songs alone instead of an album. I didn't made that mistake with Senjutsu (although I had to take a hour-long break between CDs).

1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7: SENJUTSU (TIE)
7: THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST (TIE)
8: THE BOOK OF SOULS
9: DANCE OF DEATH
10: THE FINAL FRONTIER
11: IRON MAIDEN
12: THE X FACTOR
13: KILLERS
14: FEAR OF THE DARK
15: VIRTUAL XI
16: NO PRAYER FOR THE DYING

The Number of the Beast highest Score: 17 (@Shavasku )
Senjutsu highest score: 16 (@Kalata )

The Number of the Beast lowest score: 4 (@JudasMyGuide @Vaenyr)
Senjutsu lowest score: 2 (@DJ James )

That's right, we have our first tie of the game! The interesting thing about this result is that Senjutsu performed very well - a lot of people were rating it in the upper half of the discography, so it received many 10+ scores. In fact, out of 25 submissions, only 7 had it below 10 points. There were a small handful of lower scores (namely DJ James' score of 2) that prevented it from not just beating out Number of the Beast, but also potentially the next album on our ranking, as scores were very close (reweighing the results without @DJ James' scores puts Senjutsu at #6/17!!).

Still, Senjutsu tying with Maiden's "classic album" is a pretty impressive showing. I definitely think there's a bit of recency bias combined with general backlash/contrarianism against Maiden's most famous work. It makes sense. Senjutsu is a very impressive showing for a 17th album and Number of the Beast, while fantastic, does kind of represent a "phase one" for the band's golden age. I would personally take NOTB over Somewhere in Time and potentially even Powerslave, but I will not argue against the fact that they reached higher on those albums. Disregarding scoring even with Senjutsu, I think #7/8 is about right for Number.

On the Senjutsu side of things, I am pretty impressed with how well it did here, especially when it feels like the Maiden Chat subforum is pretty negative on the album sometimes. I think it is pretty incredible that people are placing it in their top 3 already, Kalata may have been the only one ranking it #2 but several other users ranked it #3. Of course it also outperformed three reunion era albums and the two that it did not topple are widely regarded among Maiden's best work. That said, the scores for BNW and AMOLAD were not close - Senjutsu has a long way to go before coming close to either of those albums. Still, this is probably the first tangible indication of how popular Senjutsu is with the board, and safe to say that Maiden has made a lot of fans very happy once again.

I was a little bit more bearish on Senjutsu, putting the album at #5, but I could see it going higher in time. The fact is, I love the album more every time I listen to it. The album has been out for over 2 years now, so the recency bias can't be that pervasive, but it still feels fresh to me. My two favorite reunion era albums are The Final Frontier and A Matter of Life and Death and Senjutsu easily feels like it sits in that same realm for me. For the record, it took 5 or 6 years for me to really feel comfortable about where The Final Frontier sits in the discography, and maybe a little less than that for Book of Souls as well.

Senjutsu surprised me by just barely edging out Somewhere In Time to land at #4 in my personal ranking. I think it certainly deserves an upper half finish here.

Much like The Book Of Souls, Senjutsu is a very consistently good-to-great album (minus “Lost In A Lost World”, which is merely OK), but where it differs is it really knocks it out of the park with the one-two punch of “The Parchment” and “Hell On Earth”, which make up a little less than a third of the entire album’s running time. When that much of the album is a 10/10 and you don’t have any true clunkers in the track list, you can expect a pretty high finish.

For me, The Number Of The Beast has a similar issue to Brave New World — half of the album is excellent, but the other half is just OK-to-good. I had it at #6 on my list, so a #7 finish makes good sense to me.

Very glad to have made a difference here. Senjutsu for me sucks on quite a few levels. Boring, too long, and it rehashes a lot of the same musical ideas from the past two albums. That being said, Iron Maiden still finds a way to put at least one great, if not amazing song on here, and for me that is The Parchment. The Parchment quite easily slots into my top ten Iron Maiden songs, and that was evident to me even at first listen. I’d hold a lot of my harsher criticisms, but know that I think this album is not good. If 18 years prior they didn’t have Dance of Death, then this would be my least favorite thing they’ve ever done. It is tough watching your rock stars get old, and this was a gut wrenching experience when this released.

It is a shame too because I expected nothing from a new Iron Maiden album, and was still let down. The Parchment rules though

Senjutsu highest score: 16 (@Kalata )

That's right, we have our first tie of the game! The interesting thing about this result is that Senjutsu performed very well - a lot of people were rating it in the upper half of the discography, so it received many 10+ scores. In fact, out of 25 submissions, only 7 had it below 10 points. There were a small handful of lower scores (namely DJ James' score of 2) that prevented it from not just beating out Number of the Beast, but also potentially the next album on our ranking, as scores were very close (reweighing the results without @DJ James' scores puts Senjutsu at #6/17!!).

Still, Senjutsu tying with Maiden's "classic album" is a pretty impressive showing. I definitely think there's a bit of recency bias combined with general backlash/contrarianism against Maiden's most famous work. It makes sense. Senjutsu is a very impressive showing for a 17th album and Number of the Beast, while fantastic, does kind of represent a "phase one" for the band's golden age. I would personally take NOTB over Somewhere in Time and potentially even Powerslave, but I will not argue against the fact that they reached higher on those albums. Disregarding scoring even with Senjutsu, I think #7/8 is about right for Number.

On the Senjutsu side of things, I am pretty impressed with how well it did here, especially when it feels like the Maiden Chat subforum is pretty negative on the album sometimes. I think it is pretty incredible that people are placing it in their top 3 already, Kalata may have been the only one ranking it #2 but several other users ranked it #3. Of course it also outperformed three reunion era albums and the two that it did not topple are widely regarded among Maiden's best work. That said, the scores for BNW and AMOLAD were not close - Senjutsu has a long way to go before coming close to either of those albums. Still, this is probably the first tangible indication of how popular Senjutsu is with the board, and safe to say that Maiden has made a lot of fans very happy once again.

I was a little bit more bearish on Senjutsu, putting the album at #5, but I could see it going higher in time. The fact is, I love the album more every time I listen to it. The album has been out for over 2 years now, so the recency bias can't be that pervasive, but it still feels fresh to me. My two favorite reunion era albums are The Final Frontier and A Matter of Life and Death and Senjutsu easily feels like it sits in that same realm for me. For the record, it took 5 or 6 years for me to really feel comfortable about where The Final Frontier sits in the discography, and maybe a little less than that for Book of Souls as well.
SJ's high ranking is not a surprise for me. Head to head with a classic album too. The album is really consistent and special imo. It could have been one or two places higher.

All of the songs on it can be someone's favorite (like BNW), so that's quite the achievement. They tried some different things on it and that's great after all these years. The instrumental work, melodies, choruses, solos and Nicko's drumming are the things that should be praised.
The band exceeded my expectations!
As for the songs - the title track is a unique and epic in scope piece with so much anthemic power (which is something we expect from Maiden), while the last two songs (Parchment and Hell On Earth) are new classic for the band. I can't think of a better way to end an album.
The 2 lead singles are some of the best and most interesting (Writing) ''promo'' songs in a long time. They're usually not the best songs on their albums, but these two have so many catchy parts and characteristics. Stratego's chorus is pure gold! The other short song, Days is also very good (that chorus), but it would have been even better with a guitar harmony. The album has a special feature, a very cool full-on ballad with one of Adrian's best solos (there's more on this album). I guess it works either ways for the fans. Time Machine is a melodic song we want from every Maiden album, especially with this instrumental section. The rest of the songs, the other two epics have their place on the album and imo the album wouldn't have been the same without them. Lost World has a very fitting (for the album) and quite emotional intro & outro, which is worth it alone. The song is more riff-y with changing tempos, in contrast to the other epics on the album. Celts may feel nothing new for some fans (which it doesn't), but such a Maiden fest of singing, melodies, riffs, solos, bass playing and fun drumming is always welcome on every album. I like the clear production. I think I can say with certain that this album will never leave my Top 5!

TNOTB couldn't have been higher because while it contains 6 amazing songs, it also has 2 more or less ''lesser'' songs, especially for the quality of the album. I think Gangland is good though. Invaders should have been replaced with Total Eclipse (or with a different chorus). Gangland to be the opener, but then again, a mid-tempo song before Hallowed probably wouldn't have been a right choice. Idk.
Hallowed, the title track and Run To The Hills are all time Maiden classics, and not only. Children is one of their best ''ballads'', 22 Acacia Avenue contains amazing piece of music and Prisoner is an old-school NWOBHM anthem with a brutal instrumental section. Not many albums have 6 songs like these in one album. The album should be praised for its instrumental parts, Clive's amazing drumming, guitar work (especially solos), Bruce's vocals and Steve's songwriting. The production is also great.

Back