Individual song polls

Yeap, that's why I wrote this note. I will be likely praising a rated 4 song and some people may say wait what? So I will link the above to my Individual Album Rating posts (where you state all scores and give the average) in order not having to explain (hopefully).

Other than that I am quite happy that I did it with a structured way this time. I struggled a bit (mostly to decide which songs to downvote), but the result is very rewarding.

Hi, I've reopened the songs from Somewhere in Time for voting, after resetting the votes. Apologies for the delay, as I was travelling.

Please add your vote for these song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.
The next album, opening up on the weekend of October 15th, will be Dance of Death.

Last edited:
Hi, I've reopened the songs from Dance of Death for voting, after resetting the votes.

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.
The next album, opening up on the weekend of October 22nd, will be Virtual XI.

Ranking of Maiden’s Catalogue Pt. II: Enter Senjutsu.

For ranking Maiden's Catalogue, my initial plan was to let a few months for Senjutsu to sink in, before rating it.
However the structured approach I followed to rank the first 152 songs (16 first albums) has helped me a ton with the ranking process by helping me build a solid perspective on the catalogue. As a result I don't feel I need to wait any longer.

In the start, I thought to just throw the Senjutsu ratings into the existing pool of rankings without restrictions, but I realized it might be unfair to it, leading to lower album average. I did some experimental calculations and in deed, it resulted to lower average score than I thought it to be right out of the bat. No, each ranking of the new 10 songs should be interacting with the rest of catalogue, i.e. every new 8 to lead another song fall into 7 etc.

To do it justice, I decided to re-distribute the ratings in a nearly perfect way. In order to elevate a bit the album average I assigned only 9 places for rating 1. For ratings 2 -10 there are strictly 17 places assigned for each one.
The grand total from 1 -10 is now 162 songs.

Distr SENJ PNG.png

The album average distributions are now:

Upper Tier
2 Albums ≥ 8.00
4 Albums ≥ 7.00

Middle Tier
5 Albums > 5.00

Lower Tier
4 Albums ≥ 4.00
2 Albums > 2.00

Similarly with my previous reference post the purpose is to explain why there are so many 2 -5s ratings for songs that are objectively good and why the album averages are relatively low.

Last edited:
Hi, I've reopened the songs from Virtual XI for voting, after resetting the votes.

The next album, opening up on the weekend of October 29th, will be Powerslave.

Last edited:
I've re-opened all the song polls, as well as added new ones for Senjutsu. As always, I encourage you to have your voice be known by going to add your rankings!

A guide to voting.

10: Hand these out carefully! Someone who hands out a lot of 10s and 9s will not be taken seriously. A 10 is a true masterpiece in your opinion, not just a song you love, but a song you love and think is timeless.
9: For songs that you love and you know aren't quite superb; for songs that you know are masterpieces that aren't quite your favourite.
8: A very good song, but one that doesn't go the extra mile to be called special.
7. A good song.
6-5. An average song that doesn't stand out.
3-4. A bad song. You often skip it. You have made a playlist ignoring this song.
2. Atrocious. You dislike it, or even hate it.
1. The Apparition (or, to make sure Diesel doesn't freak out, whichever song you adjudge to be the worst of the catalogue and any in the same range).

OK there appears to be a technical issue with Senjutsu. Polls apparently don't work there, I will get the admin to sort it out and fix the threads when that occurs.

I've re-opened all the song polls, as well as added new ones for Senjutsu. As always, I encourage you to have your voice be known by going to add your rankings!

A guide to voting.

10: Hand these out carefully! Someone who hands out a lot of 10s and 9s will not be taken seriously. A 10 is a true masterpiece in your opinion, not just a song you love, but a song you love and think is timeless.
9: For songs that you love and you know aren't quite superb; for songs that you know are masterpieces that aren't quite your favourite.
8: A very good song, but one that doesn't go the extra mile to be called special.
7. A good song.
6-5. An average song that doesn't stand out.
3-4. A bad song. You often skip it. You have made a playlist ignoring this song.
2. Atrocious. You dislike it, or even hate it.
1. The Apparition (or, to make sure Diesel doesn't freak out, whichever song you adjudge to be the worst of the catalogue and any in the same range).

I will redo my votes which means I might need to edit many of individual song comments, but so be it, at least there's time for this.
@LooseCannon Try to warm us a month or two before the closing of the polls

Back