Incredibly "stupid" commentary on Iron Maiden

nuno_c

A hollow universe in space
I know this all (like pretty much everything else) comes down to taste/opinion and that, of course, varies from person to person.

That being said, i still have my jaw touching the ground after reading what Kerry King had to say about Maiden:
"IRON MAIDEN, for me, is living off their first three records. Have they made good songs since then? Yeah, but they haven't made great records".

What the hell? Where have his ears been since 1982? I honestly simply can't understand why someone can say Maiden don't put out great albums since TNOTB... What do you guys think? I personally just can't rationalize it.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sl...e-living-on-past-success/#quCJcHvTcZV4Aq60.99

I mean, for the most part, the exact same could be said for Slayer - no great albums for a very long time. I don't agree with his assessment one bit.

He probably doesn't like post-Beast records himself. But lots of Maiden fans and metal fans in general do. What I find odd is that Slayer has performed often with Maiden. Is he willing to end all this, suddenly? In other words, does he realize what he's saying? Usually you'd expect more respect for fellow metal acts. Not sure if his public nonsense matters anything, but it isn't that unlikely that Slayer won't be asked to do anything with Maiden anymore.

Lmao, dude can't even play guitar that well, and Slayer hasn't had a "great" album since Seasons, like 20 years ago, hahahaha

It's not the first time he has said something stupid. :p Metallica for sure, they are a textbook example of that, but Maiden is their polar opposite. Just look at it - we are probably the luckiest fanbase in the music world. After all these years and obstacles (even the big recent one) the band is 100% vital and bursting with energy, putting out new record-breaking music and drawing millions of people (in total) to their shows. That's unheard of.

No good albums after first 3? 'No good albums after first 7' would be a least an understandable statement. Kerry, go to sleep.

I like Slayer, but King could not me more wrong here. I get his point that a lot of bands pretty much live in the past, but Maiden is clearly not one of them. If he used a different example of a band, I would go along with him. I think Maiden does a good balance of mixing in the old and new.

I like how Kerry King mentions Slayer fans coming to see new songs like "Disciple." That song came out in 2001!

I also saw Slayer last year a few months before their newest album, Repentless, came out and they played exactly zero new songs.

Saying Iron Maiden are living off their first three records is extremely stupid, 'cause they don't. Saying that he doesn't like Maiden's albums after NOTB is his opinion, and he is entitled to it. Of course, his opinion is shit.

I wonder if this genius really even knows which "3 albums" are maidens first. Something tells me he does not. I have heard this sort of jealous, unfounded disrespect for Maiden over the years, spewing from the mouths of these sorts of clowns. No disrespect to slayer fans. Of which I was, for a year or so. Until I cut way back on the chronic. It stems, in my humble opinion from those with the need for heavier sound in their metal. They seem to believe Maiden Is beneath them somehow. Perhaps do the fact that Maidens'music isn't regurgitated growls over unneserily repetitive and unimaginative noise. Again my bad to fans of this feeble minded mental dwarf. Maiden has more talent TODAY than these guys could only dream of in their heyday. Which was Waay back when, by the way.

Iron Maiden is the only classic band still playing whose fans actually want to hear the new music. Obviously, not all of them, but I'd say 60% of Maiden fans are interested in the new music and hearing it live. Priest, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, and most importantly Slayer = people just want to hear the classic stuff.

He probably doesn't like post-Beast records himself. But lots of Maiden fans and metal fans in general do. What I find odd is that Slayer has performed often with Maiden. Is he willing to end all this, suddenly? In other words, does he realize what he's saying? Usually you'd expect more respect for fellow metal acts. Not sure if his public nonsense matters anything, but it isn't that unlikely that Slayer won't be asked to do anything with Maiden anymore.

No, he doesn't know what he's saying. Like a lot of metal guys, he just kinda speaks and doesn't think about the actual ramifications of what he's saying (like Dave Mustaine). Gives you a lot more respect for the Maiden guys, who generally make a point to not mention their opinions on other bands in their genre.

Kerry King is a joke.

I doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't like Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son as the close minded, "beat the dead horse", "milk it to exhaustion" musician he is, but not even Piece of Mind and Powerslave? LOL

1.) Kerry King is a very specific human being and to enjoy Slayer music at all you have to separate between him and the band (and he's not alone in that regard - John Schaffer, anyone? Megadave? Gene Simmons? The list goes on and on...)

2.) To Flash above, I'd bet he thinks Maiden's first 3 albums are TNOTB, PoM and Powerslave...

Iron Maiden is the only classic band still playing whose fans actually want to hear the new music. Obviously, not all of them, but I'd say 60% of Maiden fans are interested in the new music and hearing it live. Priest, Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, and most importantly Slayer = people just want to hear the classic stuff.

Every band has the "Play Classics" fans, even Maiden. I think that we need to consider if the band is still recording new songs that are actually relevant and not just "random-songs-that-we-need-to-record-only-because-the-manager-make-us-do", and i consider Priest 3 last albums (maybe not Nostradamus, but definitely Angel of Retribution and Reedeemer of Souls) and Anthrax 2 last (Worship Music and For All Kings) as pretty relevant. It ain't a Screaming for Vengeance or Persistence of Time, but hey, it ain't Death Magnetic. Even Dystopia has a lot of inspired moments.

Few bands can remain at top level, like Maiden (The Book of Souls ain't on the same level as Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, but is damn close). But there are other bands that, at least, try to remain revelant. Of course, Slayer ain't one of them. But a lot of heavy metal musicians like to...talk a lot. Or we'll just forget when Bruce ranted about the teleprompters?

Well this would mean his belief is current maiden is riding the coat tails of the '2 Dianos' and NOTB? not including Pom or powerslave. This is not only showing lack of any musical history, but is now border lining on insanity. It comes across very disrespectful considering the timing. Here's The greatest heavy metal band of all time, basking once again in the glow of a successful album and tour. He Doesn't want to believe any of it is real. Because it isn't happening to him. Pure jealousy and envy.

Every band has the "Play Classics" fans, even Maiden. I think that we need to consider if the band is still recording new songs that are actually relevant and not just "random-songs-that-we-need-to-record-only-because-the-manager-make-us-do", and i consider Priest 3 last albums (maybe not Nostradamus, but definitely Angel of Retribution and Reedeemer of Souls) and Anthrax 2 last (Worship Music and For All Kings) as pretty relevant. It ain't a Screaming for Vengeance or Persistence of Time, but hey, it ain't Death Magnetic. Even Dystopia has a lot of inspired moments.

Few bands can remain at top level, like Maiden (The Book of Souls ain't on the same level as Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, but is damn close). But there are other bands that, at least, try to remain revelant. Of course, Slayer ain't one of them. But a lot of heavy metal musicians like to...talk a lot. Or we'll just forget when Bruce ranted about the teleprompters?

Honestly, I don't have much knowledge of Priest, but I do know that they continue to play more classic material than current material. As for Anthrax, I'm not a Belladonna fan at all and I enjoyed Worship Music (haven't heard For All Kings yet). That said, I would never call the music on it "relevant", nor would I say the same of anything Megadeth has done since The System Has Failed. It's simply regurgitating previous ideas with new riffs, which are often pretty uninspired. Maiden continues to push themselves musically in new directions and that is something that cannot be said of most of these other acts.

As for the teleprompters...I said they guys "generally make a point not to mention their opinions" :D

Back