If you could wish one thing back from Maiden that has gone & is no more

A production and way of recording in line with either Powerslave, SSOASS or BNW. Of course more harmonies would be awesome (and I particularly miss the vocal harmonies of the mid 80s and early reunion era), but I prefer a good sound.

I love the proggier Maiden but I’d kind of love to see them do a harder hitting metal album with shorter songs just to shut up the nay-sayers who say Maiden are boring now.

But then why pander to the lowest common denominator?

Definitely this: prominent/song driving guitar harmonies + much more riff based guitar playing (in my eyes, Powerslave is very riffy album also Piece Of Mind) So, basically, it's how they wrote songs in 80's.
One leads to another. If it's how they wrote songs, then it's also how they recorded them. So, live in the studio approach also would be sacked. :D

Last edited:
I love the proggier Maiden but I’d kind of love to see them do a harder hitting metal album with shorter songs just to shut up the nay-sayers who say Maiden are boring now.

But then why pander to the lowest common denominator?
The thing that I find with Maiden's music is that, even their shorter songs have enough technicalities and is filled with their signature gallops/harmonies. We can just compare Killers with British Steel/Point Of Entry or any of the contempary Saxon albums and can find the difference. Even their "hard hitting" Metal stuff are gonna be full of melodies and interesting dynamics, so not exactly going for the lowest denominator with even shorter songs.

I wanna believe there’s a parallel universe where Birch produced some of the reunion albums. I’d love to hear his modern takes on the drums and three guitars.

Still, I’m overall happy with Shirley’s work. I listen to Maiden now almost exclusively on vinyl and, to me, they all sound fantastic.

Back