If you could envision a side project for any musician who hasn't pursued one yet, who would you choose?

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
It would've been fascinating to hear James Hetfield in a band with a proper drummer and a proper lead guitar player, maybe even just playing rhythm guitar with someone else singing.

Discuss!

Neat idea, but you stole mine! I'd love a straight up rock or folk album from Hetfield with competent studio musicians, but the fact that we've never seen it leads me to believe that Lars truly is responsible for making his ideas into actual songs.

I'd also kill for a John Bush solo project that's basically just mildly rocked up Motown style tunes.

I really want to hear a solo album of Dave Murray with metal, rock, hard rock, progressive and slow melodic stuff. Even power metal (from Bruce too). I really do. All of this would suit him. I'm curious because his co-written songs are always interesting.

Really wish Eddie Van Halen did stuff outside of Van Halen. Super wasted talent being in a band that was mostly inactive after the 90s/mired in personal drama. Plus even at his peak I think the only thing he did outside Van Halen was the Beat It solo. Some sort of power trio/instrumental rock or fusion thing could have been really cool. Maybe get Neil Peart on drums (another guy who never did any side projects).

I really want to hear a solo album of Dave Murray with metal, rock, hard rock, progressive and slow melodic stuff. Even power metal (from Bruce too). I really do. All of this would suit him. I'm curious because his co-written songs are always interesting.
I think Dave Murray is similar to Hetfield - i.e. he needs someone else to help shape his ideas. Without Steve, I'm not sure Dave has enough arrangement prowess to make a good album.

Really wish Eddie Van Halen did stuff outside of Van Halen. Super wasted talent being in a band that was mostly inactive after the 90s/mired in personal drama. Plus even at his peak I think the only thing he did outside Van Halen was the Beat It solo. Some sort of power trio/instrumental rock or fusion thing could have been really cool. Maybe get Neil Peart on drums (another guy who never did any side projects).
He did an EP with Brian May.

Good question. Would be cool to hear Hetfield outside of Metallica.

Same with theys guys: Joakim Brodèn, Roy Khan, Hansi Kurch, Tony Kakko, the Def leppard guys

Back