If Bruce never left...

Skunkworks is a unique piece of art, and I'm glad we have both. I doubt that whatever came with Maiden after FotD would be anywhere as good as either Skunkworks or X-Factor. Maiden couldn't have made X-Factor with Bruce and Steve Harris would never allow anything close to Skunkworks to come out with Eddie on the cover.

I agree. Bruce's departure hurt, but it was needed to recharge the artistic batteries of everyone involved.

Bruce's batteries. He had an urge to do something by himself, or at least not under the protective wing of the name Iron Maiden. He mentioned Maiden in a metaphoric manner, as a father figure.

He wanted to "work" for success, starting something from the beginning. And stylistically he certainly wanted to try out other things as well.

I don't see the Blaze years as a battery recharge time for Iron Maiden. They did what they did with (at least) the same passion and energy.

It may have been a negative charge, but Bruce's departure recharged Maiden too.
It's part of the reason why X Factor is as good as it is.

If Bruce never left I do wonder if there would have ended up being a massive fallout that would have killed the band off for good. He needed space and they needed a change of direction.

If Bruce never left I think Maiden wouldnt of released as many albums. I don't think Maiden would of released albums like BNW, DoD, AMOLAD and TFF if Bruce never left, I think Maiden would of toured im similar vein as Metallica. Maiden needed the new albums to renovate their style and add many more years to their life cycle. Otherwise theyd of ended like Metallica, 33 years in and only 9 albums.

I don't know if it's a ridiculous number, but a number that signifies a lessening of their creativity indeed.
I'll take quality over quantity any day, or well... most days.

Metallica are, like Iron Maiden, increasingly becoming a "nostalgia" act (and I write this in the nicest possible way, though there probably is no nicest possible way) more than a creative, and hence, productive band.

For both bands, this has become increasingly clear during the past decade, as they tour and tour and tour on past achievements. For Metallica the Escape from the studio tours and for Maiden the History tours.
Scaling old heights so to speak.

I hope Maiden astonish us with their 16th record, as they've never had this long to arrive at an album.

I don't know if it's a ridiculous number, but a number that signifies a lessening of their creativity indeed.
I'll take quality over quantity any day, or well... most days.

Metallica are, like Iron Maiden, increasingly becoming a "nostalgia" act (and I write this in the nicest possible way, though there probably is no nicest possible way) more than a creative, and hence, productive band.

For both bands, this has become increasingly clear during the past decade, as they tour and tour and tour on past achievements. For Metallica the Escape from the studio tours and for Maiden the History tours.
Scaling old heights so to speak.

I hope Maiden astonish us with their 16th record, as they've never had this long to arrive at an album.

I agree with you when you say Metallica are becoming more of a nostalgia act, but at least when Maiden do these history tours theyre sandwiched between albums. Metallica did 2008-10 World Magnetic tour, followed by 2011 Vacation tour (Big Four Tour), followed by 2012 Black Album Tour, followed by 2013 vacation tour, followed by 2014 vacation tour.

Where as Maiden did Dance of Death 2003/4, followed by Early Days 2005, followed by AMOLAD tour 2006/7, followed by SBIT 2008/9, followed by TFF 2010/11, followed by Maiden England 2012/4. Theres a big difference, Maiden are touring history but creating new albums. Metallica at this point in time are just touring history but adding stuff like 3D films and gimmicks to make it seem less like nostalgia act like Def Leppard doing a month in Las Vegas doing Hysteria album in full and saying they want to do it again.

Just to focus on the Iron Maiden and Metallica "nostalgia" vs. creativity thing - mainly because they are arguably the two biggest heavy rock bands right now and hence comparable, I don't want to include Def Leppard, as they are irrelevant here - I took some time and put their albums, album tours and "nostalgia" tours up against each other, counting the months spent touring old albums.

Metallica
2003 St. Anger album / 2003-04Madly in Anger.. tour
2006 Escape from the Studio tour (5 months)
2007 Sick of the Studio tour (1 month)
2008 Vacation tour (3 months)
2008 Death Magnetic album / 2008-10 World Magnetic tour
2011 Vacation tour (6 months)
2012 Black Album tour (1 month)

2 albums and 2 album tours vs. 5 "nostalgia" tours (approx 16 months, Metallica have played some concerts in 13, but not as a tour as such).

Iron Maiden
2003 Give me Ed 'til I'm Dead tour (3 months)
2003 Dance of Death album / 2003-04 Dance.. tour
2005 Eddie Rips Up the World tour (3 months)
2006 AMOLAD album / 2006-07 AMOLAD Tour
2008-09 SBIT tour (7 months)
2010 Final Frontier album / 2010-11 FF tour
2012-14 Maiden England tour (7 months so far)

3 albums and 3 album tours vs. 4 "nostalgia" tours (approx 18 months, it must be noted that the Maiden England tour is heading into it's third year in 2014 and could be extended).

Looking at it like this, which may be pretty useless, I'd say it's fairly even between these two bands.
Metallica have had more "nostalgia" related tours, but Maiden have been touring "nostalgia" for longer on less tours.

Sorry about the long and probably useless post, but sometimes you get the urge..

Last edited:
when Maiden do these history tours theyre sandwiched between albums.
This last sandwich has lots of old meat on it (three layers*).
Where as Maiden did Dance of Death 2003/4, followed by Early Days 2005, followed by AMOLAD tour 2006/7, followed by SBIT 2008/9, followed by TFF 2010/11, followed by Maiden England 2012/4. Theres a big difference, Maiden are touring history but creating new albums.
*What Maiden is doing is this: a history tour three years in a row. Of course, with breaks in between, but the point is that they keep coming back with the oldies, before they're doing anything new. That's what Metallica was doing in 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Last edited:
Back