Holy Smoke

How good is Holy Smoke on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Holy Smoke

It's an OK song that gets a play from me every once in a while. 6/10.

A 9 Jeff? So, you rank it up there with songs like Hallowed Be Thy Name and ROTAM?

Used to be a top 15 song for me, but doesn't age well, even though it's catchy and has good lyrics. 7.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
It's an OK song that gets a play from me every once in a while. 6/10.

A 9 Jeff? So, you rank it up there with songs like Hallowed Be Thy Name and ROTAM?

It's 9 within the album's rank. We're going album by album and that's how these polls must be approached.

Jeffmetal said:
It's 9 within the album's rank. We're going album by album and that's how these polls must be approached.
Does this mean that if we went alphabetically, you'd rate the song differently?

I used to absolutely hate this song when I first heard it. Now it's not so bad as to hate it, but it's definitely not one I'd go out of my way to listen to. That said, I still hate that chorus and how Bruce sings it. The instrumental section is the best part of the song for me and I also quite like the intro before Bruce comes in. These 2 parts of the song lift it from nearer the bottom of Maiden's catalogue to probably close to the top of my bottom 50. 5/10

Jeffmetal said:
If that's how you want to do it, that's fine, but for me, I compare song to song on all albums.

Bleh. This song just doesn't have anything, really. The lyrics touch a subject I just can't get worked up about (and besides, does anybody even talk about it anymore?), the guitar harmonies sound pretty bad (a problem prevalent with this and the next album), Bruce sounds horrible, and overall the songwriting is just weak. The solo would be kind of cool, but it's framed by a song that can't live up to the hints of drama produced here. I love the video, but I should be able to appreciate the song without it, and I can't really. Overall, it blows - pun intended if you want to. 3/10.
Jeffmetal said:

Yeah, and LC also said that only a decent review counts towards the scoring, which means a simple "9" will not.

The live version from "Wasting Love" single is a bit better but still this is an average song. Bruce's voice is kinda weird both in the studio and live version.

6/10 and I`m being so generous today. Then again I don't like this album at all. Saving my 10's for Brave New World.

Jeffmetal said:

That's not how they must be approached.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
I compare song to song on all albums.

It is certainly allowed to compare with any Maiden song from the catalogue, as reference for the grade, even though I tend to take a song away from its album context and judge it on its own merits.

7. it's actually a great rocker: The music is really great. I really love the second solo too.
Other the Bruce's singing, the only thing that makes it a 7 is the use of the word shit. Really. What.

OK, I actually quite like this track - enough to give it an 8. The song is quite happy and poppy and the video is pretty good. Yes the lyrical content meant a bit more back then than it does now, but it doesn't deter me from liking the song.

No, I'm not removing votes. I'm just keeping track of decent reviews vs. non-decent reviews for a prize of some sort. Don't ask me what it is yet.

Whilst I realise the subject matter might resonate more with other people, it doesn't really mean much to me, although I appreciate the lyrics are quite witty. Musically, I find it nothing to write home about. 2/10

5 for me.  I just prefer more serious Maiden.  It's musically decent, but lyrically way below their standards.

I like the lyrics and the way Bruce times the words. So well done. Fluently, but also rhythmically, joining the accents of the chords and crash cymbals. For variation, I dig the no nonsense guitar playing, with the open chords. "Let's roar guys".

I am fond of the instrumental part. I remember from an interview from that era how people were so amazed by Janick's solo. It was quite an introduction. Especially the first quarter of this solo hardly seems to contain any tones! Just sounds, but it fits well. It's remarkably fast, and at times over the top, really fitting well with the image of the lyrics and the rawness of the riffs. Dave brings balance with his more melodic solo, I especially like the way he starts it. Rock and roll !

That video is really fun. Impossible to look at it without smiling.

A very solid 7.

LooseCannon said:
No, I'm not removing votes. I'm just keeping track of decent reviews vs. non-decent reviews for a prize of some sort. Don't ask me what it is yet.
I don't think I'll win that prize since I suck at reviewing. :p

This one doesn't have that horrible collision between lyrics and singing style as Tailgunner, but to me it is sub-par by Maiden standards. (Keep in mind I rate the songs relative to all music I've listened to - I don't think I'll go lower than 4 for any Maiden song).

First off, the riff is cool enough, but I think it gets old quickly. The lyrics are obviously meant to be witty rather than serious, but I don't think this is what Maiden do best. Like a few other songs, the singing also doesn't flow that well with the music. Some lines seem to be too long, so that Bruce is hardly finished singing one line before the next one should start. It gives a very rushed feel to the singing.

The solos, well - I there are several better ones on this album. The first part of Janick's solo is a real "wtf" moment, in a good way, but the rest of it is just one piece of messy soloing which to me is the weaker side of his soloing in general. Dave has done more special solos, too. Overall the solo section is good, but definitely not great.

To sum it up - a below average song, but no disastrous effort - another 6.

Back