Hidden meanings behind the Iron Maiden cover art

franksamuel0209

Westward the Tides....
When I first got into Iron Maiden back in 2005, a friend of mine told me that each Iron Maiden album cover art had a type of hidden message to indicate what number studio album it was for the band.

For example

Iron Maiden: There's only one person on the cover

Killers: There is Eddie and a hand below him. Also the ll in Killers is a Roman numeral II.

NotB: Eddie controlling the devil controlling the man. Three people. Also the B in Beast on the art isn't completed and looks like a #3.

Piece of Mind: I'm not quite sure, could be the cushions on the wall are in fours or the letter f of OF is different or the P in Piece is oddly drawn.

Powerslave: 5 heads on the pyramid

Somewhere in Time: The band (5) plus Eddie (1)

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son: Self Explanatory

NPFTD: 8 vowels including Y. Yeah I know, I'm reaching

FotD: I honestly don't know

X Factor: Roman numeral X is 10

Virtual XI: Roman numeral XI is 11

That's all I got. If anybody knows for sure it has had similar thoughts of the hidden meanings feel free to discuss. This riddle has puzzled me for 11 years now!

Maybe Riggs just stopped to hide numbers in the covers after Seventh Son. X is ok because you can see it both as the letter itself and the roman number, but including VIII or adding eight persons in the art is starting to be complicated.

FotD: I honestly don't know
Maybe there is no link because the illustrator had changed at that point (Derek Riggs > Melvyn Grant).

I liked to tell myself the same sort of stories about the covers, back in the day:
We are introduced to Eddie (IM) who gets more and more skillful and dangerous (K> NOTB ) but who ultimately gets caught (POM) and executed (PSl features a funeral monument). Then, he first resurrects (LAD) but is not fit to the time he lives in and gets killed (SiT: Eddie can be interpreted as the one who is killed -possibly by a futuristic clone- and whose hand we can see in the bottom right-hand corner of the front cover). SOASS presents us with Eddie in limbo, reconstructing his abilities, including that of regenerating himself (the foetus), which is followed by a second resurrection (NPFTD).

Here stops the canon visual Maiden sequence as far as LPs are concerned - ARLO, ARDO and BNW being later one-off Riggs creations.

Back