Happy birthday SMX!

WOW, I have to stop you right there, NOTHING in the Bible is coincidence, NOTHING. If it's in the Bible it's for a reason and who ever wrote the old testament books, the gospels and letters, the style, words and sayings they used had a purpose. I agree that '666' is really really evil, but it also is the anti-christs mark who by definition is really really evil. When the Apocalypse was written the really really evil "anti-christ" was Nero. The Apocalypse was very likely written in aramaic (as most ancient text), or Hebrew. And I never said to asign RANDOM numbers to letters. A=1 B=2 for their order in the alphabet not because I feel like it. Doing that with the ancient alphabet of the original copy of the text, Nero Ceasar ADDS to 666 NOT in english but in whatever original language it was written. I hope that in your Paper you stated that who ever wrote the apocalypse was merely giving Christians hope. They were under heavy persecution and having pretty much a horrible time. The apocalypse describes the fall and judgement of all that is evil and the rise of the new jerusalem. The Roman empire was the one responsible for the persecution in the second century. In the third Christianity was finally tolerated and later made the official religion. The rise of the New jerusalem of streets of gold and pearly gates is but a symbol of better times to come when they can worship in peace. It doesn't describe the end of the world, just the hopeful end of the roman empire.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jul 1 2004, 12:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jul 1 2004, 12:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] WOW, I have to stop you right there, NOTHING in the Bible is coincidence, NOTHING. If it's in the Bible it's for a reason and who ever wrote the old testament books, the gospels and letters, the style, words and sayings they used had a purpose. [/quote]
First of all, before I forget, thanks again to all for the kind birthday wishes.

Onhell, we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I am not a christian or a Jew; as far as I'm concerned, the bible is a work of fiction. Historically based fiction, to be sure, but fiction nonetheless. I take it about as seriously as I take junk mail. I enjoy reading portions of it periodically because I enjoy reading myths and legends from various cultures; aside from the study of mythology, the bible has no meaning or value to me.

SMX, I think that he was more or less agreeing with you, that the Bible was formulated in a careful manner so as to aid in the spreading of Christianity. Whether or not humans or a divine being did this...well, arguing about faith, as we all know, goes nowhere.

Thank you LooseCannon. SMX Regardless of wether you think it's fiction or truth is irrelevant. Take Shakespeare or Nietzche's Thus Spake Zarathustra. The style of the writing, the word choice and structure has a purpose. That's what makes good writing and that is why the Bible is held in high regard, by believers, historians, scholars and non-believers alike. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Ah, I see what you mean now - I misunderstood you at first. My bad. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

No Worries [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I hope you had a good birthday

Back