Guitar solos " The Final Frontier"

@Foro : I was waiting to see what you would say once you listen to the album,
regarding the distribution of the solos and with a first read I can see that we agree.
I feel kind of sad for Janick who apparently is a cool guy and don't give much importance to these things -and probably that's why he's been put aside.
I'm quite sure that if H was in his place he would have shown his malaise in an evident way.

Perun said:
I think they said in an interview that they just jam the song together and see who does what the best, and that it goes on the record like that. It's in one Rock Hard magazine, not sure if it's the recent one or the one that came out when A Matter of Life and Death was released, though.

If this is true here, it means that for Starblind's first solo they had to choose between three possible solos
and what they did choose was that one ?? No, hard to believe it.

I too believe there are 3 solos on The Final Frontier, but as odd as it might sound, IMO there's a 7-second solo by Gers from 6:53 to 7:00.

At 6:53 see how there's a small interval and the guitar goes to lower notes. A subtle change of tone. But then by 6:57 you have high notes again, and you can see the tone is completely different from the previous one. Therefore H 6:31 - 6:52, Gers 6:53 - 7:00 and Murray 7:00 - 7:14. Can't wait to see this song live.

I've always thought janick pulled of a seven second solo between H and Dave in TFF. It sounds like Janick plus if just prior to this mini solo it sounds as though H has signed his off in a fairly climactic way.

Three solos? I have to check it more closely then.

Maybe it's because the H solo is pretty different from all his other solos he's ever done. Not much lower notes.
During the first moments I wasn't even sure if it was him! The solo has in fact Tony Iommi(!) moments, but it also reminds me of Janick at some points.

There are three solos if you count the outro solo (also by Adrian) as one.

Forostar said:
Per, just read your post, if that's true I feel sorry for Janick that he played so bad. I mean, in the past it apparently went better. Or there were other norms.

Well, you never know. Sometimes things just don't work out. They guys are professionals and always maintain there's no ego problems, the quality of the music is above all. So I wouldn't feel sorry for anyone.
BTW, I know some people will crucify me for this, but I actually think Jan outshone the other two at Sonisphere and Wacken.

Well you're right. Janick doesn't seem to be the kind of person who would worry about that. And most of all the solos are really nice, and that's what surely counts.

Looking very forward to the gig now. Somehow the new album got me more enthousiastic, even if I know it won't be the base for the gig.

Per, wanted to answer your pm, but you're inbox is full.

Perun said:
BTW, I know some people will crucify me for this, but I actually think Jan outshone the other two at Sonisphere and Wacken.

I remember him butchering his own El Dorado solo at my show, but on the other hand he did Blood Brothers perfectly, which had me in tears.  :)

Oh yeah, Janick was perfect at Sonisphere, I was really pleasantly surprised. I thought his studio solos from BNW were all great though. I still don't like him doing Hallowed be thy Name, but he was ok when he did it there. I was very disappointed with all his solos on Flight 666.

As for the record. Solos are good on TFF. They are consistenly better than on AMOLAD, even though the best two or three from AMOLAD are stunning (Longest Day, Lord of Light).

Looks like Adrian is doing a better job and perhaps Dave as well, but I think Janick's solos on The Pilgrim & The Legacy are at least as good or even better than the few he does on TFF. Just listen how awesome these build-ups are, and I really like those high sharp tones. (Maybe it has to do with taste, but I prefer those solos.)
adrian fn rules said:
All solo work is Adrian's for Isle of Avalon  I can see how one might think that first portion is Davey but it's not...  

No, Dave does take the first solo in Isle of Avalon.

And in Starblind it's funny, because H does no less than six(!) solos in this song, and Dave still gets these 10 seconds (the one solo Edu_Smith describes in his opening post). :)

I have finally analyzed all solos, and will e-mail that shortly to M a v e r i c k, from the Iron Maiden Commentary.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
The final solo sounds quite Janickish to me. I hope it is him, he deserves another.

It is him and he actually does another small solo too (5:48 - 6.03), at least I think it's him (if not then Dave). We have to watch this when/if this song will be played live.

1. Satellite 15... The Final frontier
(6:31 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(7:00 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(7:50 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

2. El Dorado
(3:41 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(3:53 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(4:05 – Solo: Janick Gers)

3. Mother of Mercy
(2:54 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

4. Coming Home
(3:31 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(3:59 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

5. The Alchemist
(3:05 – Solo: Janick Gers)

6. Isle of Avalon
(3:49 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(4:31 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

7. Starblind
(1:59 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(2:34 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(3:04 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(4:15 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(4:43 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(4:53 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(5:47 – Solo: Adrian Smith)

8. The Talisman
(5:56 – Solo: Janick Gers)

9. The Man Who Would Be King
(3:57 – Solo: Dave Murray)

10. When The Wild Wind Blows
(4:42 – Solo: Adrian Smith)
(5:22 – Solo: Dave Murray)
(5:48 – Solo: Janick Gers)
(8:39 – Solo: Janick Gers)

It's Adrian again. Really his touch.

The Holy Church of H surely must name this song as their anthem.

my deep frustation due to the almost "absence" of H's guitar solos in BNW 10 years ago is now over!!! and I can't help to smile all the time!!

I still don't think murray solo's on Isle of Avalon. If he does then he sounds almost identical to H. I will have to listen to it again

I admit that the last long note in the first quarter sounds a bit like H, but especially the fast fluid run of notes in the second and last quarter convinces me.

Maybe it helps when you listen with headphones? Apart from the solos I can really recommend that to everybody. A great soundscape.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Sure Janick doesn't get involved in Starblind around 4:53? You are most probably correct and I am more than likely incorrect. But what dya think Foro?

I'll join in with Foro here. That's definitely played by H. His tone is quite distinct.

Back