Foro! Get in here

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44yO9QzUzF8

This is a Norwegian comedian called Kristoffer Schau, who pretends to be a Dutch entertainer. Can you tell me whether this is just gibberish or whether what he says is actually real Dutch? I know that you have loads of words that are quite similar to Norwegian words (especially experienced that when I and my mates met a Dutch couple at a mountain cabin here a couple of weeks ago) - but is Schau just making up things that sound Dutch to us non-Dutch-speakers?

PS: Several hits I get on goooooogle tell me that yes, he is actually speaking real Dutch and I've found translations in Norwegian. Then I can change the quiestion to - what do you think of this guy's Dutch?

Eddies Wingman said:
Can you tell me whether this is just gibberish or whether what he says is actually real Dutch?

Why, the one doesn't exclude the other.

*ducks*

Oops, sorry, I hadn't noticed this topic before. Reading your posts already confirms what I have always thought, namely that there are a lot of audible connections between our languages!

Just saw it: lol, this doesn't even sound Norwegian, first I thought I was watching some Dutch dude, I had to doublecheck if it was a Dutch channel . The only more difficult part for me to hear was the beginning of that song (and from 1.04 it turns into a classic Dutch children song).

I was right, Schau was playbacking. Just found this reaction under another clip:

The voice belongs to Wim Sonneveld (Norwegian wiki: click ;) ), who was a big comedian in the Netherlands in the '60s and '70s. The scetch is about a snob comparing restaurant menus written in French vs Dutch. He thinks it tastes better when it is in French. "If you see on a Dutch menu; "kalfsborst", you think; nooo, kalfsborst. But if it stands "buste de veaux", you take it." The song is a Dutch childrens song about a blonde girl on a bicycle that comes to a ferry. Its named "Schipper mag ik overvaren"(Skipper may I come over)

So yes, it is Dutch, spoken by a famous Dutchman. :)

The comparison is indeed remarkable:

He he ik zing eigenlijk het liefst in het Nederlands, weet U.
(Vel vel, jeg synger egentlig helst på nederlandsk, vet du.)

Kijk eens, tenslotte wonen we in Nederland.
(Se her, tross alt bor vi i Nederland.)

En waarom zou je de mensen dan Frans en Engels voorzetten, nietwaar?
(Og hvorfor skulle man da servere folk fransk eller engelsk, ikke sant?)

Kijk eens, in een restaurant vind ik dat wat anders.
(Vel, i en restaurant synes jeg det er noe annet.)

Een goed menu moet eigenlijk in het Frans zijn, want dan smaakt het ook lekkerder.
(En god meny må egentlig være på fransk, for da smaker det også mye bedre.)

Als je nou leest op een menu in het Hollands gewoon kalfsborst,
(Hvis du nå leser på en meny på vanlig hollandsk, kalvebryst,)

dan denk je bij jezelf, nou, kalfsborst, nietwaar
(da tenker du ved deg selv, vel, kalvebryst, ikke sant)

aar staat er nou "buste de veau"
(Men står det nå ”buste de veau”)

Tja, dan neem je het, hè.
(Tja, da tar du det, ikke sant.)

Het rokje fladderend in het windje
(Med det lille skjørtet som flagret i vinden)

Fietste Fiekje, het blonde kindje
(Syklet Fiekje, det blonde barnet)

Over het paadje naar het meer
(Over stien til innsjøen)

Tot ze na een kwartiertje trappen
(Til hun etter et kvarters tråkking)

Eindelijk van haar fiets gestappen
(Endelig gikk av sykkelen sin)

Aan de oever bij het veer
(Ved elvebredden ved ferja)

Toen ze al dat water zag
(Da hun så alt det vannet)

Zong ze met een gulle lach
(Sang hun med et raust smil)

Schipper mag ik overvaren ja of nee
(Skipper får jeg seile over ja eller nei)

Moet ik dan nog geld betalen ja og nee
(Må jeg da betale noe penger, ja eller nei)

Schipper mag ik overvaren ja of nee
(Skipper får jeg seile over ja eller nei)

Moet ik dan nog geld betalen ja og nee
(Må jeg da betale noe penger, ja eller nei)

(Norwegian source)

Forostar said:
I was right, Schau was playbacking. Just found this reaction under another clip:

The voice belongs to Wim Sonneveld (Norwegian wiki: click ;) ), who was a big comedian in the Netherlands in the '60s and '70s. The scetch is about a snob comparing restaurant menus written in French vs Dutch. He thinks it tastes better when it is in French. "If you see on a Dutch menu; "kalfsborst", you think; nooo, kalfsborst. But if it stands "buste de veaux", you take it." The song is a Dutch childrens song about a blonde girl on a bicycle that comes to a ferry. Its named "Schipper mag ik overvaren"(Skipper may I come over)

So yes, it is Dutch, spoken by a famous Dutchman. :)

dan denk je bij jezelf, nou, kalfsborst, nietwaar
(da tenker du ved deg selv, vel, kalvebryst, ikke sant)

aar staat er nou "buste de veau"
(Men står det nå ”buste de veau”)

Tja, dan neem je het, hè.
(Tja, da tar du det, ikke sant.)

(Norwegian source)

Ah, and here I was thinking Kristopher Schau had actually learnt Dutch  :D Anyway, the clip is funny as hell and so is a lot of other stuff from Team Antonsen  :D

By the way, this thing about menus in French has also been the subject of another Norwegian singer/comedian, Øystein Sunde (who is also a great guitarist);

"Nå driver jeg Hokksund Taverna & Grill, der lager jeg mat og gjør som jeg vil - menyen er fransk, men maten er norsk ..."

"Now I'm running Hokksund Tavern and Grill, there I cook and do what I like. The menu is French, but the food is Norwegian ... "

On Schau, sure, but I doubt Øystein Sunde has heard of the guy. Making jokes about snobbery (of most kinds) is a cornerstone in Norwegian humor so I think Sunde came up with "menu in French, Norwegian food" all by himself. Menus written in French are not uncommon here either  :D

I just read that when that sketch came out (the one you posted) people from Norway thought it was so great that they "en masse" visited the website of Sonneveld. Consequence: Often too many visitors, therefore many times offline. :)

Forostar said:
I just read that when that sketch came out (the one you posted) people from Norway thought it was so great that they "en masse" visited the website of Sonneveld. Consequence: Often too many visitors, therefore many times offline. :)

Really? Cool. And here I didn't realize (until you told me so) that it was Sonneveld singing/talking.

Back