Final Frontier: Who is the MVP / Man Of The Match?

I'd have to say more than anyone Adrian brought the goods this go 'round.  His influence permeates this record.

Dickinson would be my runner-up.

(Gave Nicko the nod for AMOLAD).

What say you?

Harris (I would have thought this was the obvious choice?).

But Smith gets my runner-up vote.

Zare said:
Adrian, for sure. He wrote most of the stuff.

He wrote six. Steve wrote 10.

My choice is Janick. Yes, I'm serious. Not because he was the most influential, but because he writes amazing songs and is a great guitarist, but still he is extremely underrated. And The Talisman is probably my favourite song on this album. His best performance is still the BNW album though.

Poto said:
He wrote six. Steve wrote 10.

My choice is Janick. Yes, I'm serious. Not because he was the most influential, but because he writes amazing songs and is a great guitarist, but still he is extremely underrating. And The Talisman is probably my favourite song on this album. His best performance is still the BNW album though.

I'm loving the Alchemist and WTWWB, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a tune better than The Talisman.

Harris. His basslines are delivered superbly (as always, so they're never mentioned like a good vocal performance or a good solo). WTWWB is currently my favourite song off of it and he solo wrote that and co-wrote the rest of the songs so you can't go wrong with him.

Bruce, then Adrian for me. Bruce for the unbelievable lyrics, plus even better vocals than AMOLAD. Adrian for the songwriting; his influence is obvious, and his solos are as good as ever.

Dave.  Hate to say it, but H is sub-par on this album... but Dave's solos this go-round are a definite step up from the previous three reunion albums.

Second would probably go to Nicko, and then H.  Followed by Janick, Steve and Bruce.

GuineaPig said:
Dave.  Hate to say it, but H is sub-par on this album... but Dave's solos this go-round are a definite step up from the previous three reunion albums.

Second would probably go to Nicko, and then H.  Followed by Janick, Steve and Bruce.

H's style of solo'ing is much different on this album, i wouldn't saythats a bad thing though.

At first I thought it was Adrian, a bunch of TFF sounds like SIT, his solo of Final Frontier just punches. But now that I'm 6-11 listens in on all of these songs Nicko really stands out. He makes Isle of Avalon tolerable and knows when to play it up, or just something straight-forward, allowing Harry room in the mix. Now does anyone know if his rib joint is any good?

I still think H is the obvious (and right) answer. But I think both Dickinson and Nico makes some of their best work here. Murray and Gers delivers, and me personally had liked to see a bit more of Gers=)  harris serem to have taken a roll a liitle more in the back wich I suspect is jsut the finger most songs needs, just tyhe way he useds the keyboardeffects is a lot better than before. In all, I think they give each other more playroom and let the songs play a greater role, which is magnificant. As an example I didn't realize Nicos contribution at fiirst because it was less obvious than on AMOLAD. But with a couple of listenings I can onlu say, WOW! he's drumming is at least as good, and also floats better intop the songs. This record is epic.

Adrian for me.  Great songwriting, great solos.  I think the variety of his style really pushed this to be a different sounding album than the last. 

Adrian is my choice! He is the main guy on the songwriting (Harris doesn't count lol) and much like AMOLAD he plays the best solos (despite not being as amazing as they once were). I'd even say since reunion Adrian is Maiden's "MVP", his songwriting is at its peak.

Bruce would be my next choice, he is really good on the record as well.
And I was expecting more from Dave, although he is better here than AMOLAD but he has shown that he can do better; Jan is solid (cool solo on The Alchemist and The Talisman is an amazing song).
Nicko and Harris perform as usual: great!

I don't know if I can pick... I would have to say Dave is the weak link by a slight margin, but then again if I were to listen through without Dave's playing / writing it would feel incomplete.  This record is a masterpiece by the masters themselves.

Back